Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crib Bumber question

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 4:54 AM
  • 9 Replies
My daughter is 8 weeks old and she seems to do a lot of moving around in the crib. She is a tummy sleeper and has been since she was 2 weeks old. She likes to move to the edges of the crib and lean on the bumper pads. I am worried that she is going to get her face smooshed into the bumper pad at some point. She is able to turn her head from side to side and we have a motion monitor on her crib that has an alarm that will go off if she stops breathing ever....hopefully it'll never go off!!!! Should I take the crib bumper out of the crib so she can't lean up against it (which means she could possibly end up leaning against the hard wood rails!) or should I leave them on there so she isn't leaning her head and body against the hard wood rails and just keep a close eye on her?
by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 4:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
cure4cf
by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 5:06 AM
she is a cutie,I would recommend taking the bumpers off. my daughter slept with her face in the bumper so we took it off because it scared me to death. she wouldnt turn if her face was right in the thing. she was also a tummy sleeper.

Bobbi

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls Holly 5 years old & Isabel 2 years old

4nicole
by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 5:11 AM
Good Morning Mommy, 1st off nice crib & set up, your daughters too cute! I left bumpers & all and had my daughter sleep with this pad that had 2 foam things that kept her on her back & in one position to sleep so she didn't roll over onto her belly. The dr. recommended this. Only when she was about 6-7 months old did she start sleeping on her belly. She sleeps very close up against the bumpers but she is now 15 months old. I don't know really what to say but I was told that the baby should sleep on their backs. Have a nice day!
seastarhorse
by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 8:29 AM
i have never used bumpers cos they are just too dangerous.
Coolpeasmommy
by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 8:44 AM

My daughter slept on her side when she was little and I was worried about the bumper at first too, but my doctor said not to use the wedges to keep her on her back because she could hurt herself on them. I will say however that she always cuddled with the bumper with her face almost right into it, and so I learned to get up at least 5-6 times a night to check on her plus we had the monitor but because it was a "Breathe easy" bumper we never had any problems. Now my 6 month old uses the same bumper and does the same thing and we have never had a worry. I think between the monitor and you checking on her she should be just fine. If it really bothers you then lift up the bumper about an inch and then she will have a breathing space but won't be able to rub much of her body against the rail. I don't think you should remove it though because we did that with our daughter at first and she ended up with an arm and leg through the rails and even though they say that it's a big enough space to not get stuck that doesn't matter. She had twisted her body and her leg got caught and she ended up with bruises and was very sore and cranky for days. I hope my story helps:)

"Keep your dreams close to your heart and your hopes a handful away" ~Crystal

hollyscottjake
by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 8:45 AM

your daughter is too cute!  My son is 5 months old and he actually sleeps on his side, up against the back of the crib, with his face close to the bumbers. I considered taking our bumbers off too, but decided against it. He can roll from front to back, back to front and he moves all over the crib. He also hates anything covering his whole face. And he used to sleep on his belly too... .
maybe just put her in the middle of the crib, and see if she will sleep there... I'm not sure. But if you have the alarm... Probably i would just keep a close eye on her.... regardless of what most people say, I think that most babies have the instinct to "move" if something is blocking there air.... I know sids is real thing... but i think other things contirbute to it as well...... GO WITH YOUR GUT!!! if you think she'll be fine, just check on her.... Good luck!!!

okiemomx4
by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 10:37 AM
Oh wow, what a beautiful baby girl!  Really, omgoodness.  That is such a sweet sight.  Has your pedi addressed this with you?  My kids are older now, but when they were babies, I used bumpers.  I think the recommendation has changed and the crib should be free of any obstacles in which your little one could bump up against and possibly block the airway. 

Courtney

group owner:  Sewing for Fun
landerbh
by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Quoting Coolpeasmommy:

My daughter slept on her side when she was little and I was worried about the bumper at first too, but my doctor said not to use the wedges to keep her on her back because she could hurt herself on them. I will say however that she always cuddled with the bumper with her face almost right into it, and so I learned to get up at least 5-6 times a night to check on her plus we had the monitor but because it was a "Breathe easy" bumper we never had any problems. Now my 6 month old uses the same bumper and does the same thing and we have never had a worry. I think between the monitor and you checking on her she should be just fine. If it really bothers you then lift up the bumper about an inch and then she will have a breathing space but won't be able to rub much of her body against the rail. I don't think you should remove it though because we did that with our daughter at first and she ended up with an arm and leg through the rails and even though they say that it's a big enough space to not get stuck that doesn't matter. She had twisted her body and her leg got caught and she ended up with bruises and was very sore and cranky for days. I hope my story helps:)

I agree. Move the bumber up a little so she can breathe if needed. My son did the same thing but we had no problems.
snikki05
by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 10:43 AM
Hi!

My daughter is a back sleeper and we use a sleep positioner.  But before I got the positioner, I would roll up two recieving blankets and kind of tuck them at her sides under her arm pits so she wouldn't roll around.  I don't know if it would work with a tummy sleeper, but mayber worth a try?  Hope it helps!
Nicki
emmiesmom32780
by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 10:45 AM
my daughter did the same thing.  it never seemed to be a problem for her to get her face out of the bumper.  now she sleeps face down with just enough room to breathe.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured