Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

new to this group i have a couple questions

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 11:01 PM
  • 5 Replies
hi i am a single mother of a little boy 9mnts old has many medical issues and now i am fighting a custody battle since nov. now my son has very very bad acid reflux and the only way to help him is an operation but the dr didnt wanmt to do that coz he was to young now in the mean time what can i do.  also when is a good time to take away the bottle for good.  and when my son turns 1  1/2 years old if i travel to fl for disney how do i do that its a 17 hr drive
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Dawn100173
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 11:07 PM
Wow, my advice is to deal with one issue at a time.  If you don't like the answer from the doctor, get a second opinion.  As for the bottle weening... each child is different.  Try offering him a cup and see how he does with it.  Traveling to Disney cross that bridge when you come too it.
Aubree_rae
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 11:18 PM
ok, so I can only tell you what I know about this subject... and it's not so much from the mothers point of veiw but the childs. I had the surgery that your doctor was talking about in 1989 when I was 11 months old. It's called a Fundoplication, basically they wrap the stomach around the esophagus.  They say that it  only happens in about... 20% of  cases but for me  it made me unable to vomit. It's been a good and bad experiance for me... lol... the down side is that when I get sick I stay sick for awhile because when most people would just throw whatever it is up... I couldn't.
Also, My little cousin had to have the same surgery in 2001. She is the same way...she can't throw up. They say that in about 60-70% of cases where the surgery is done in a small child it will have to be repeated... Mine didn't have to be but my cousin who is now 8 is going to have hers redone this summer.
So make sure that you do a lot of research and know that you aren't just getting yourself into one surgery...but probably 2-3. 
I do know that it is not nearly as invasive as it was when I was a baby. Your son probably wont have a scar that goes all the way across his abdomen like I do.

They say it's hereditary... and my daughter does had moderate acid reflux... this is what my doctor has told me to do.
He has put her on Similac RS (It has Rice Starch which makes it thicker). The only down side to this is it is about  $5.75 for a one qrt bottle. we are on wic so they cover 25 bottles a month which leaves us still spending about $30-$40 a month on formula. But she does very well on it.
The doctor also said I could add a little bit of rice cereal to it to make it even thicker.
He has her on a liquid zantac that she gets 3 times a day.

I hope this helps some... if you have any other questions that you think I can answer  feel free to ask.

Aubree_rae
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 11:20 PM
and as for the long drive... we make a 7 hour drive home to see family and my SD once a month... we stop about half way for an hour and feed, change, and burp.
jessi-rae
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 11:22 PM
as for the acid reflux, if you go through some of the past posts, there have been quite a few regarding helpful hints for acid reflux in babies.  Hope you find some that help!!!
louloulove
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 11:25 PM
my youngest daughter had reflu, and she went zantac 2 times a day. and it worked wonders! she used to spit up every single time she had a bottle. that and we put her on soy formula which helped. milk based make her projectile vomit. as for the bottle, like she said before each child is different. to get mine off the bottle we used the soft tipped nuby cups. they are really cheap at walmart, under 2 bucks a cup.
http://www.nuby.platformtwo.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=26&Itemid=43&lang=en

go by your baby, he'll let you know when hes ready to give up the bottle. im sorry about the custody battle, its got to be hard. good luck with everything!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN