Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My Mom has Cancer and is losing her health insurance! (PIOG)

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2008 at 5:02 PM
  • 8 Replies
My Mother was just diagnosed with breast cancer only a few weeks ago and just over a week ago, had a mastectomy. She is being fitted for prosthetics and special bras. She will be starting chemotherapy soon.

She works for BOCES and is not eligible to get health insurance through her job until she's been there 5 years! She's a year and 1/2 shy of her 5 years! That's ridiculous! Anyway, because of that, she had insurance through a state program called Healthy New York. My Dad's raise put them into a higher income bracket, so she is no longer eligible! Also, on a side note, ever since Elliot Spitzer became our Governor, it seems he keeps cutting programs like this! On the day she had her biopsy, she received a letter in the mail stating that her health insurance would be cancelled as of April. She's also apparently not eligible for disability pay because BOCES doesn't pay into it! As if a diagnosis of Cancer wasn't hard enough to deal with!

My Dad works for a non-profit agency and to add my Mom to his policy will cost them over $400 a month! Dad estimates about $9000 a year! Mom looked into getting her insurance through COBRA, but it was going to be over $1000 a month! Now Dad is looking for a part time job as a security officer (even though my Dad is 50% disabled, due to a back injury he suffered years ago, and can no longer work in construction, which he did his whole life until then). My parents are in their mid 50s and shouldn't have to be living like this!

We're trying desperately to find options for Mom to have health coverage that they can afford. She is not eligible for any of our state programs now or for Medicaid. Trying to find a new job now would be very difficult, given her condition. She was thinking about taking a leave using the Family Medical Leave Act, but still, the Healthy NY program goes by last year's income, so that wouldn't really be too helpful with the income issue. (I still think she needs to because she works with disabled children that get sick a lot and she also has to lift them and tend to them, including help feed and toilet them. It's not an ideal job for someone who just had surgery and will have a weakened immune system due to chemo treatments).

Does anyone know of any programs or affordable insurance options that I can recommend to my Mom or at least look into for her? Mom's worried they will have to sell her car because they won't be able to afford the payments (they're going to have a difficult time selling an SUV with gas prices as high as they are, especially when they still owe on it). She can't drive stick, so she wouldn't have anything drive at all, since my Dad's car is standard.

This has been so hard on her and my Dad, physically and emotionally. They don't need this nightmare on top of it! Please, if you know of anything that can help, no matter how small, I'd really like to hear from you. Thanks!

My Mom's a Survivor

The Breast Cancer Site
The Breast Cancer Site

by on Feb. 24, 2008 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
gabrielsmom2006
by on Feb. 24, 2008 at 5:13 PM
 that you are going through this... I know how hard cancer can be on a family. I don't really have any great advice, I am just offering my prayers..God Bless,
emme1964
by on Feb. 24, 2008 at 6:17 PM
Your mom and your family are in my prayers. 

Mom went through breast cancer--lumpectomy--chemo--radiation.  She has been cancer free for almost 5 years. 

Your mother may be able to receive Medicare.  Check it out.  Cancer, along with treatment is so costly--I think in some states people automatically are eligible to receive that insurance. 

Again, you are all in my prayers.  I hope all goes well--keep us updated.

Melodye
mommy2ahero06
by on Feb. 24, 2008 at 6:19 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your mom.  I know how the cancer there goes way to well.  I'll keep your mom and your family in my prayers!
taracv
by on Feb. 24, 2008 at 6:44 PM
We dont have any insurance either, and for my husband to add us to his plan it would be over $500 a month.  So we go on a wing and a prayer, and hope that we dont get sick.  (I really hate that we as a nation dont have a better solution to our healthcare crisis.  We pull together for 9/11 but for a nation that has a failing healthcare system we cant pull together to solve the major issues.  That is something that makes me very angry... Anyway now that I have gotten that off my chest I feel better.)  A hospital in my area has what is called a Compassionate Care Program.  They go through your finances with you to help you determine how much time and money you need to pay off the hospital debt.  In some cases, they have written off 100% of the debt...  I would start there.  God Bless your family in this time of crisis!   Keep us updated on your moms condition.  I will keep you and your family in my prayers...
tiger3223
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 11:25 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your mother, My Grandpa has been fighting cancer for the last five years, and looks like he is about to lose the fight   Have yall tried for medicaid? If you are eligible it can be a great blessing, and they cover up to three months before.
Me and my kids also dont have insurance as there is no way we could ever afford it, even through my husbands job. We also make just a little to much for medicaid, so right now we are with Asi health savings plans, they have been a great blessing to us with two little ones that are always sick. whats great about them is they dont turn you away for anything even if its preexisting. Pm me is you would like to know more. Hope all goes well with your mother
4mybabygirl
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 12:20 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your mother.... my mum was diagnosed a year ago.... she's had a double masectomy (sp?), chemo and radiation.  I can't help you out insurance wise (sorry!), but I just wanted to let you know that the susan b komen website was extremely helpful for my mum - women are able to post about what they're going through and questions they have - kinda like a "cafe mom" for breast cancer patients. Tell your mum to check it out
supermomof6
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 12:24 PM
I'm so sorry your mom is going through this!! My mom had breast cancer about 5 yrs ago, she had a lumpectomy. She recovered well & the cancer was gone after chemo & radiation. Back in Oct. it came back in her leg & had to have a steel rod put in. She took the chemo pill & had radiation & is now cancer free!! It can be overcome!! Prayers for your mom & your family. I hope the insurance situation gets straightened out.
belldandy
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 12:26 PM
I know how you feel, although my mom hasn't lost her health insurance, she has had breast cancer for 5 years, then remission for 5 years and then it came back and she's battled it for another 5 or so I think now, and the doctor told her at the end of last year that she has one year left with us. So although I don't know about the health insurance part, I know how you feel about loosing your mom. I am still pretty young so this is really hard on me and for most of my life my mom has had some kind of health problem. Just know that you're not alone and the only thing that has remained constant through it all has been God. He's always been there for me.

I hope that things get better.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)