Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

SOOOO MAD!!! PLEASE TELL ME IF I'M RIGHT OPR OVER REACTING...

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 2:56 PM
  • 28 Replies
OK OK...WE'RE ALL VERY OVER PROTECTIVE OF OUR CHILDREN AND WE TRY TO KEEP THEM AWAY FROM GERMS AND VIRUSES RIGHT? WELL HERE'S MY DEAL. IT ABSOLUTELY PISSES ME OFF WHEN STRANGERS THINK IT'S OK TO TOUCH MY CHILDREN. LIKE THIS MORNING, I WAS AT THE SUPER MARKET AND THIS LADY COMES WITH HER LITTLE GIRL. WHO IS VERY DIRTY AND HAS SNOT ALL OVER HER FACE AND HANDS AND TELLS HER IT'S OK TO TOUCH MY BABY. I TOLD HER NO AND SO SHE CALLS ME A BITCH. OH I TOLD HER, LADY YOU NEED TO SANITIZE YOUR DAUGHTER BEFORE SHE EVEN CLOSE TO MY KIDS. SO SHE WENT OFF AND I JUST WALKED AWAY. I WAS AT THE REGISTER AND AGAIN SOME OLD LADY WANTS TO TOUCH MY LITTLE BOY AND I TOLD HER VERY NICELY, PLEASE DON'T TOUCH MY CHILD. SHE TOO GOT OFFENDED. BUT YOU SEE I'M JUST TRYING TO KEEP CHILDREN SAFE FROM ANYTHING BECAUSE I FOR ONE HATE TO SEE THEM SICK. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK.
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HaydensMommy007
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 3:02 PM
Oh goodness I HATE HATE HATE when people do that! Like, what makes them think that its okay to touch her?! It is could and flu season first of all, not that I would allow random people to touch her at all anyway. I just dont get some people....do they like being touched by random people? I think not.
I had the same problem when I was pregnant. People always wanted to touch my stomach. What the hell?!
People make me so mad when they try to touch her. Look, I know she is cute and everything but come on. I dont feel bad telling them off. If anything they should feel like moronic idiots for thinking this behavior is okay.
chocchpcooke
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 3:14 PM
Oh my gosh girl I feel the same way! I have pissed many a person off telling them not to touch my son. It was like that when I was Preggo too! People would come up whom I didnt know and try t o touch my tumny! I had one guy follow me around the supermart once and even cut someone off to get behind me in the checkout lane, He proceeded to get really close and tell me how sexy he though pregnant women were. WTF??? The bag boy heard and offered to help me carrry my stuff out to the car.....thank god. People need to know there f*ing boundaries!!!
KittyD
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 3:15 PM
If they aren't showing any signs of being sick I don't mind. You do know that most kids get sick because of other family members? This includes cousins ,aunts, uncles, grandpa, grandma...
krissymonk
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 3:20 PM
I feel them same way!! Why do strangers think they can be all over your kid? I had one lady ask me if she could hold my daughter when she was first born? UM NO?? Hello I don't know you!!! this day and age for all i know you'll turn around and run and I'll never see her again!!! I have a Mei Thai ( I think I spelt that right??)  carrier that i use for my son so no one really bothers him!! Just one of the many reasons I love it!!
EmeraldsMommy
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 3:24 PM
I generally don't mind if people at least ask first, but if not, I do get very annoyed when they touch my kids!  For what it's worth, I do find people are far less likely to touch my baby when he's in a wrap or a sling than if I'm just holding him or something, so babywearing is something you can look in to if you want to avoid unwanted touching!

~*~*~Jessi~*~*~

Homebirthing, Breastfeeding, Cloth-diapering, Co-sleeping,              

Baby-wearing, Vegetarian Mama to Two

momof2inak
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 3:26 PM
Why the hell would someone jsut come up and want to touch your child, how wierd and RUDE is that!!?? I would never have the urge to just touch a stranger's kid, that's just weird. And rude. your are defintiely NOT out of line, good for you for standing up and telling them no to do that
momlorac
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 3:31 PM
People always want to touch my daughter. She is 3 . She has Down Syndrome and looks younger. They just come up and touch her . Usullay before I can say anything. She does it herself and I am trying to teach her that she can not just go up to people and touch  people.Then these strangers come up and touch her so it is kinda of hard. When I see her going up to touch someone I tell her no, I let her touch only when people say it okay.  I would never think of going up to a child and touch them. I can not believe people would get so mad .I do not think you are over reacting at all.
jennamil47
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 3:33 PM
I don't think you are overreacting at all. I hate when people think it's ok to just touch someone else's child.  Do you just go up to random people and touch them?? NO!  So why would it be ok to go up to a random child and just touch them?  I swear some people are just so stupid.   I would've been just as pissed as you.

Lilypie Baby Ticker

proud working mom

plstrm
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 3:34 PM
I think you were right in the way you handled those ladies. That first lady had nerve by calling you any names at all, that to me was rude. People should always ask you if it's all right and if you say no then they shouldn't call names. They should respect the way you feel since these are towards your children and not theirs.
lilay
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 4:26 PM
You are right!!!!  Humans have 11,000 to 1.5 million microbes per cubic centimeter on our skin that are naturally occurring, but They are different on every person and what not might be harmful to one person could be to another especially a baby.  Plus this doesn't include touching things, picking your nose, ect..  So conservatively even if that child had just used antibacterial hand soap or gel they only kill 99.9% if used properly (not to mention they make bacteria and viruses stronger).  So at the very least that child would have given your child 11  to 1500 microbes per cubic centimeter of contact.  Now not all of those could be harmful, but it is still scary.

Oh, and if your wondering were I got this info I have a degree in microbiology.  So if you think your bad imagine what the people around me go through. LOL

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

baby

DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN