Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

SOOOO MAD!!! PLEASE TELL ME IF I'M RIGHT OPR OVER REACTING...

Posted by   + Show Post
OK OK...WE'RE ALL VERY OVER PROTECTIVE OF OUR CHILDREN AND WE TRY TO KEEP THEM AWAY FROM GERMS AND VIRUSES RIGHT? WELL HERE'S MY DEAL. IT ABSOLUTELY PISSES ME OFF WHEN STRANGERS THINK IT'S OK TO TOUCH MY CHILDREN. LIKE THIS MORNING, I WAS AT THE SUPER MARKET AND THIS LADY COMES WITH HER LITTLE GIRL. WHO IS VERY DIRTY AND HAS SNOT ALL OVER HER FACE AND HANDS AND TELLS HER IT'S OK TO TOUCH MY BABY. I TOLD HER NO AND SO SHE CALLS ME A BITCH. OH I TOLD HER, LADY YOU NEED TO SANITIZE YOUR DAUGHTER BEFORE SHE EVEN CLOSE TO MY KIDS. SO SHE WENT OFF AND I JUST WALKED AWAY. I WAS AT THE REGISTER AND AGAIN SOME OLD LADY WANTS TO TOUCH MY LITTLE BOY AND I TOLD HER VERY NICELY, PLEASE DON'T TOUCH MY CHILD. SHE TOO GOT OFFENDED. BUT YOU SEE I'M JUST TRYING TO KEEP CHILDREN SAFE FROM ANYTHING BECAUSE I FOR ONE HATE TO SEE THEM SICK. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK.
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 2:56 PM
Replies (21-28):
cheersam
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 8:42 PM
YOUR EXACTALLY RIGHT 
THIS MORNING I WAS AT WALMART AND I TURNED TO PICK UP A TOY FOR MY SON TO LOOK AT TO SEE IF HE WANTED IT AND THIS LADY JUST PICKS HIM UP
I SCREAMED AT HER AND YES SHE CALLED ME MANY NAMES TO
BUT YOU JUST DO NOT WALK UP AND PICK UP SOME ONES KIDS AND HE WAS SCARED TO ADD TO IT
NO ONE NEEDS TO TOUCH MY KIDS  
I TOTALL Y AGREE
I ACTUALLY AVOIDED TAKING THEM OUT WHEN THEY WERE WEE LITTLE BECUASE OF THAT
Heathersmorin
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 8:54 PM
It all about how you feel. I let people touch my son. If the look dirty or skivey or just not right I say no. But for the most part I dont mind. he only been sick twice and hes 21 months old. i wasnt the mom that sterilize the whole house, bottle, etc before he came home. ive heard it help build there immune system and it seem to be working.
I could completely understand the little girl but the old lady eh i think it would have been ok, but its totally your choice.
Heathersmorin
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 8:55 PM
omg i think i would have decked the lady and called the cops. i really do.
Quoting cheersam:

YOUR EXACTALLY RIGHT 
THIS MORNING I WAS AT WALMART AND I TURNED TO PICK UP A TOY FOR MY SON TO LOOK AT TO SEE IF HE WANTED IT AND THIS LADY JUST PICKS HIM UP
I SCREAMED AT HER AND YES SHE CALLED ME MANY NAMES TO
BUT YOU JUST DO NOT WALK UP AND PICK UP SOME ONES KIDS AND HE WAS SCARED TO ADD TO IT
NO ONE NEEDS TO TOUCH MY KIDS  
I TOTALL Y AGREE
I ACTUALLY AVOIDED TAKING THEM OUT WHEN THEY WERE WEE LITTLE BECUASE OF THAT
proudmamaofash
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 9:04 PM
You poor thing. I for one agree in a way! My family has been sick since October...not kidding!! There now has been a total of two whole weeks (not consistantly) that we have been well. I have three kids and I call myself the germ freak! I have crossed over to the dark side with the germs! My house, every night, is routinely cleaned and disinfected! So, needless to say when I go to Wal mart I use their sanitizing spray and I spray down the entire cart and I would have an absolute fit if someone with a snot nose child were to touch mine! I am not keen on adults touching them either. it makes my stomach turn! However, the only reason they are probably offended is your approach. In your defense you have every right to get angry or be short. From their point of view...they are obviously not as worried as you are about sickness..(or they would have kept their snot nose kid at home!) and they don't see where you are coming from. God put YOU in charge of your kids and I say you do what is necessary for you and your kids! They certainly can't tell someone to stop touching them!! LOL
Crystal J.
happy_momma
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 9:05 PM
you were definitly not overreacting. I havent encountered this specific problem yet seeing as my son is only 5 weeks old and has only been to the store with me once but I know that I will and there is no way that some one is going to just put their hands on him especially with the number of people who dont wash their hands at all! I went through the random touching thing while I was pregnant and I told many a person to please remove their hands from my stomach or I would remove it for them. Why is it taboo to randomly touch people in everyday life unless they are pregnant???? and why in the world would someone think they could just walk up to a complete stranger and touch their child...I mean if they thought about it I am sure they would never want someone to touch their child!
You were right to get mad and you should never care what others think of you especially when it comes to taking care of your lil one.
mromep8
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 9:06 PM
I do understand your not wanting the little girl to touch her. That mother should have been more understanding to your wishes. There are alot of cultures who believe that if you look at a child, person,thing whatever and you do not touch it you will "jinx" whatever it is that you looked at. This is especially common with the older hispanic or latin individuals. But this is your child and your choice as to whom has contact with your child. Especially right now in the middle of flu and upper respiratory season.

5smom
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 9:32 PM
I agree with you totally! I don't like it either when people think they can have free reing over my kids! I don't want to get sick and I don't want them sick either!!
You are totally in the right!
LisaHW
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 9:42 PM
I've never had a problem with people.  I've thought about why, and I guess it's because when my kids were young enough I always kept them in the shopping cart, with my hand on the cart at all times.

If they were toddlers and on foot, and I saw anyone heading near them I guess I'd pick them up.

With three kids, I had only two incidents:  One was when a young woman started to pick up my small-framed three-year-old son.  I said, "Don't pick him up".  She got angry, but I didn't care. 

One time, though, I was shopping for mattresses.  The guy running the store (where all the mattresses were on their sides, forming "aisles" between them) started to chase my four-year-old daughter.  Naturally, she headed down the "aisles" between mattresses and he headed in after her!  I was horrified.  He was a creepy old man.  Maybe he was harmless, but I learned never, ever, let go of your little one's hand in a mattress store!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)