Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Question about breastfeeding and pregnancy, and closely placed children. Advice please

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 3:26 PM
  • 4 Replies
I was wondering if any knows about breastfeeding while pregnant. I'm not pregnant, but we do plan on spacing our children close together (wanting 3-5 kids) and I am already 26 (almost 27). Currently my dd is almost 2 months and EBF and I want to breast feed her up to age two or longer if I can (depending on what is best for her and possibly (hopefully by then) baby 2). I have heard various things about breastfeeding and pregnancy and was wondering whats what.

• Does your milk reduce during pregnancy? If so how do you counteract it?
  • Does the milk lose nutrients (because they are going to the fetus)?
  • Does the fetus miss out on key nutrients because they are going into the milk?
  • Does breastfeeding while pregnant hurt the baby (e.g. contractions)?

We are hoping to get pregnant when she is between 9mo and 1 yr old and I still want to nurse. We are hoping to place our children close together but I have another concern, does the second baby suffer for lack of attention? I get to read and make sure to talk to her when ever she coos and give her rich stimulation and tons of love, etc. I am wondering does anyone have closely spaced kids? Do the later ones get less quality attention then the first? I am just nervous about the later kids getting left out on getting enough attention. Please no judgements, and please don't give me a hard time. I am looking just for some well informed advice and hopefully information from those with experience. Thank you in advance.

Jessica :O) aka mommy to cutest baby girl and sweet baby angel boy :O)

by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
babygurl620
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 3:36 PM
i used to babysit for a girl who brestfed her first daughter til she was 3, and had another one in the middle of that. No it does not disapate, it will stay there enough for baby, as long as baby is feeding regularly, itll will stay abundent. take your prenatals, that will help keep the nutrients, you may find your eating a lil bit more and need to eat healthier when you do, but thats b/c you are feeding 3 now instead of 2.   oh and it may help start contractions, due to when you first start breastfeeding after baby is born, the uterus contracts, due to the breastfeeding is helping it go back into place.  i cant gurantee that, your dr can tell you more on that. i hope this helps out.
momof2inak
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 3:47 PM

I got pregnant with my second child when my daughter was 9 monthsold, so I think they're about 16 months apart.. I'm sruprised your concerned that the SECOND baby will be left out... usually it's the other way around because the newborn is so needy and occupies so much of your attention that the first child sometimes might get left out... my daghter always liked to be right in my business with her new brotehr... she always wanted to help/observe changing his diaper and feeding him and stuff... and then because the newborn sleeps so much,  I got to spend a lot of quality time with my daughter during his naps... so it actually all falls into place pretty easily... for me anyway, I suppose it's different for everyone, but good luck!!

EmeraldsMommy
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 6:55 PM
Hey there! Every mom's experience is different, but here's my two cents. I currently have a nineteen month old and a newborn. He'll be two weeks old on Thursday.

I, too, wanted my children closely spaced, wanted to nurse my oldest through pregnancy to at least 2 years old, and was worried that she wouldn't get enough attention after the new baby was born and that he wouldn't get the same level of attention throughout his infancy I was able to give my oldest... As far as nursing through pregnancy goes, it didn't work quite as well as I'd hoped for us. She ended up weaning about 6 weeks ago, just shy of 18 months. My supply started decreasing, she wasn't as interested and stopped asking so often, I stopped offering because it hurt when she nursed off a dry boob, and eventually she just forgot how. The day we realized she didn't know how anymore devastated me. I cried for hours. I still tear up thinking about it. She did latch on again once after the new baby arrived, but hasn't really shown much interest. I so wanted to tandem nurse, but it just doesn't look like it'll happen for us. I have been able to pump a cup a day for her though, so at least she's getting that.

As far as whether the kids will both get the attention from me I feel like they deserve, time will tell... Right now we're still trying to get through the first few weeks, but I have noticed little things like I'm more likely to lay my newborn down to nap by himself to have time to play with my daughter, wheras with my first I would have carried her in a wrap while I moved throughout my day. And my toddler has been having to spend lots of time with Daddy or over at Grandma and Grandpa's lately, cuz I just haven't had the energy to take care of her while recovering from giving birth! But I think it'll start getting better here in the next day or so, and I'm sure it will all work out and somehow we just find the room in our hearts to love all our kids equally, you know?

All said and done, though, we're planning a bit longer of a gap before trying for our third. I want to make sure our baby has plenty of time to be a baby. As soon as he was born, my toddler suddenly looked so grown.

~*~*~Jessi~*~*~

Homebirthing, Breastfeeding, Cloth-diapering, Co-sleeping,              

Baby-wearing, Vegetarian Mama to Two

5smom
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 10:05 PM
I breast fed all my kids to just over 1 year old. After that your milk supply is just not enough for them pretty much after that. You can do it as a supliment though till they are older.
Milk does reduce during 2nd pregancy. It also changes. Breastmilk is produced specificallyt for the child you are carring. So, it will be less and start to change. Milk will change and loose nutrients the farther along in the pregnancy you continue to breastfeed. I don't think it will hurt the new baby but it might hurt the one you are still nursing.
I have 5 kids. 15, 13, 11,9 and 2 1/2yrs. As you can see , the 4 were just about 2 years apart. The longest seperating is 2 yrs 2 months and the shortest is 1 1/2 yrs. It was really tough with all of them so close...but it is agood thing. Sure they fight like cats and dogs sometimes, but whose kids don't!
There really is no magical number of spacing with kids. I like the closer in age the better.
Each kid has their own special interest and time and attention just sort of naturally take its course. It will be difficult to find that place to make it work but it all does eventually.
I hope this helps.
5smom
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN