Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter is having a bi-racial baby. My mother has never been ugly to a child but she called me the other day and sais she dreamed my daughter had a big nappy headed black as the ace of spades baby......................

My head spun, I am so hurt. How racist to begin with and how verbally abusive is she going to be to my grandbaby? Can I give up my relationship with her for the sake of a child, Oh yes I can...do I want to no?

How would you feel?
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 12:29 AM
Replies (11-12):
knoxmomof2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2008 at 10:23 AM
Older people can be... quick to say things that aren't very kind... she does deserve a bit of patience and gentle redirection. though since she is your Mother..just be sure your replies are kind, yet clearly get your point across. For example, to the comment the other day, you might say "Mom, I hope you're not going to say those kinds of things around (your daughter) or the baby."

That's a good place to start... hope it helps... good luck!
SUPERMOM.
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 11:04 AM
I am a product of a bi-racial couple and trust me when i say that racisim is everywhere.sometimes you just need to step back from what is going on and and try to understand everyones point of view .She maybe wrong for feeling that way(and we all know she is) but telling her that won't make her change,it will put her on the defence sometimes making it go from bad to worse fast.Most people are just that way because of how they were raised and this does not make her a bad person it just means she has a difference of opinion.Maybe she will change and maybe she won't just don't let her spoil   your relationship with your own child.I hope it works out for everyone involved!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured