Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

suggestion on vacation

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 11:04 AM
  • 3 Replies

I have a 17 DD and a 10 DS.  We have never taken a big family trip like this before.  We are going to Disney world.  It will be a 7 day trip.  We are considering staying at a Villa of the the Seven Dwarfs.. seems to be a bit cheaper that way plus we will have 3 bedrooms to move around in an not 1 room. We can also have a kitchen.  We will drive there so the rental vehicle is not an expense.

Now, the big question is this....will the kids enjoy the 4 parks of Walt disney World or should we split the week between Universal Stuidios and some water parks?  The reason I ask is we have plenty of water parks where we live now and I am not sure that will be a big thrill for them.  I want this to be exciting but not childish!  My DS is big enough to go on all the rides, that is why we waited until now to go! Wanted him to go without restrictions!

Any suggestions on cost cutting and such????? I want this to be memorable.  This will be our last big vacation as my dd is graduating and moving out to college and becoming an adult.  She is vey independent and wants this to be it!  Lovingly of course!  We don't need the princess dinners or the mickey mouse breakfasts or to stay at Disney for the expense...nor do we need the glamour of the ritzy hotels...just the fun of the family life!

Thanks to anyone who has been there and done that for any suggestions!!!

by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
knoxmomof2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2008 at 11:48 AM
hey there :) I used to live a half hour from Orlando and Hubby and I have done a few of the parks... we've visited Orlando a lot for the restaurants on weekends, but we're not Disney fanatics so I can't give you the "ins and outs" but I can tell you what I know:

First off, the parks are GREAT! For all ages... the technicalities, shows, the attention to detail on everything are so cool. The first time I went, I was a newbie to Florida and Hubby and I went to Epcot... then, later, we went to Animal Kingdom and hit Disney World for the fireworks show at... 9 or 10, I believe?? We've also been to Typhoon Lagoon once.. that's a water park.. and we went to Wet N Wild another time, another water park...Wet N Wild to me was just very basic- just rides..and if you go, make sure you bring your flipflops/ water shoes with you into the park for the scorching hot cement you'll be walking on , but Typhoon Lagoon has a snorkeling area with various fish underwater ... the "rides" all kind of wind through the park with palm trees and sandy areas along the path for tanning or relaxing.. I think we were able to go barefood through there if memory serves (??) I was very self-conscious about being in a swimsuit at that time, so I liked the secluded feel of ithe park. They of course have a wave pool and a cool cabana for drinks :)

What we discovered is that you can't get through an entire park in one day, so 4 parks and 7 days will be adequate (in mine and many Floridians' opinions). There's so much to see and do! Epcot features the countries of the world. If somehow you get bored, with the parks, there's always Kissimmee with all of its attractions like the Dixie Stampede dinner theater, or Medieval Times dinner show... Orlando itself has a Ripleys and a big mini golf thing off International Drive.. and a Bahama Breeze with live music most nights... oh! and Kissimmee also has what's called "Old Town" with all the touristy shops in one place.. you can probably google that to see what it's about.. but it's got the old timey pics you can have done, souvenir shops, A&W Restaurant, a couple of carnival type rides and this big ride called the "Old Town Slingshot".. i think it speaks for itself? LOL... here's the link to their site: http://www.old-town.com/

Not sure how many dinners out you are doing, but the RainForest Cafe (located in Downtown Disney and Animal Kingdown) is a great experience.. that, HardRock and BluesBrothers were the only 3 sit down restaurants we've done at Disney. HardRock (to me) was overpriced and under portioned .. LOL... we paid a killing for some cheese sticks and there were like 5 on the plate or something outrageous.. BluesBrothers was neat, the ceiling with pictures of celebritys embossed was cool, but I don't recall being blown away by the menu or anything... RainForest was decently priced (not cheap, but not outrageous) and the food was GOOD and they were nice sized portions if you want to take some back to the hotel... they have this cool chocolate volcano thing that you all could probably share for dessert... Hubby loved the pot roast!! and he's picky...Jungle Jim's.. I think off International (??) is cool, they have tons of different varieties of sandwiches (your choice of chicken or burger)-- including the Peanut Butter Bet... one of the toppings is peanut butter. They guarantee you'll like it, or they won't charge you for it.... Hubby liked that too.. LOL

Never been to Universal...

That's my overview... as I said, I'm no expert, but this is my take... hope it wasn't too long...
TrevorsMommy714
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 11:51 AM
www.myflorida.com  That will give you a list of hotels and how much it will cost.  and I think they also have coupons on that site too
Momma1966
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 11:54 AM
Wow...that was exactly what I was lookin for!! Thanks....

Keep the replies coming...I am fillin a notebook full to take with!!

Thanks a million!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured