Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Odds on getting hired at 20 wks prego

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 12:54 PM
  • 20 Replies

Poll

Question: Wouls you hire someone at 20 wks pregnant?

Options:

Yes, as long as she's qualified.

Maybe, she'd have to be REALLY good!

No, I'd keep looking.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 46

View Results

So I have a job interview on Monday, but I'm 20 weeks prego. I have experience in my field for 10 years, and have GREAT references... but what do you guys think??? Would you hire someone so prego, or would you keep looking?
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fiveelizabeth
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 12:57 PM
i wore a baby doll dress to my interview around 20 weeks and didn't tell them until after i was hired :)
chocchpcooke
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 12:59 PM

I did the same as PP. Wore something you couldn't really tell. They were kindsa pissed after I got the job and then told them, but then they were happy because I was so good at my job.

ameee
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 1:01 PM
Personally, I would try to hide it. I tried to look for a job when I was pregnant with my first and even though I was MORE than qualified, I had a really hard time getting hired (no one hired me until after I had the baby).

FUNNY MATERNITY, PREGNANCY AND KIDS T-SHIRTS AND GIFTS

WWW.CAFEPRESS.COM/HOTMOMMATEES

Lizzard86
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 1:01 PM

I ran into this too ... I asked my sis (who hires ppl for her job) and she said she'd want to be informed (obviously).. she said she personally wouldnt tell them till after u r hired. she did say once she found out (if it happend to her) she thinks that she'd lose a lil trust in them, but they are still so new u dont know them anyways. i didnt say a word at the interview :P Good luck tho.

taylormcl118
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 1:09 PM
thats tough..obviously if they didnt hire you just because youre prego would be discrimination..which would be hard to prove..but id still go to the interview and dont even tell them, personal lives dont have to come into an interview for a job
LindsayChap22
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 1:51 PM
THANK YOU ALL SOOOO MUCH FOR YOUR THOUGHTS (AND SUPPORT)!

MOM'S ROCK!!
litabia
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 1:56 PM
i waited until after i had my son to apply for jobs because i didn't think they would hire me but my job hire 3 females that were pregnant and let them take their leave and come back. so my company is really fair when it comes to that. but just go to the interview you have nothing to loose.
TXMOM00
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 2:13 PM
i would tell them, if they ask... i don't think there's any rule that says you have to disclose that info... if they seem really cool and like you def have the job, maybe go ahead and talk to them about it... you can say that you aren' looking for maternity benefits, just the 6 weeks or so off then you would like to come back.
my best friend got a job while she was prego. she was honest with them and she's now home with her lil boy and starts back april 1st.
megganmarie
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 6:48 PM
There's a law against discriminating against people just because they're pregnant.  If you're qualified and you can do the job, I don't see any reason they shouldn't hire you.  But I don't think you should hide it and tell them later.  That would piss me off if I was the one hiring you.  Honesty is a big deal.
cutiepie1987
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 11:15 PM
Theres a good possibility they could still hire you even though you are 20 weeks preggo.i would probaly tell them strait up though.,Im sure they would respect honesty.It wouldent look very good if you hid it from them.Just be honest just tell them you know you're preggo but you'd be really good @ the job

http://www.cafemom.com/group/36487

group owner babies before marriage check it out!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN