Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Odds on getting hired at 20 wks prego

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Wouls you hire someone at 20 wks pregnant?

Options:

Yes, as long as she's qualified.

Maybe, she'd have to be REALLY good!

No, I'd keep looking.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 46

View Results

So I have a job interview on Monday, but I'm 20 weeks prego. I have experience in my field for 10 years, and have GREAT references... but what do you guys think??? Would you hire someone so prego, or would you keep looking?
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 12:54 PM
Replies (11-20):
DianaG2006
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 11:42 PM
I would hire you.  However, we are in the real world.  I had a job interview at 8 weeks pregnant with twins.  I didn't get the job.  Why?  They could tell I was pregnant.  I am glad I didn't.  We didn't know if there would be bed rest, nor when they would come since I am not a big girl. 
rickitikitavi
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 11:49 PM
i know from experience no one will hire when pregnant.i was 4-5 months along looking for work.i eventually got a job back at my old job which was good thing.but dont give up hope though there are people out there that will hire someone pregnant for a job.
tristin23
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 11:50 PM
I would, but I also know how is feels to be turned down because you're pregnant. If you're experienced and you have great references I wouldn't say anything until after I got the job, they can't ask you about being pregnant anyway, its illegal!
sweetpea0205
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 11:57 PM
i went on an interview about 20 wks prego...my husband left me in the very beginning of my pregnancy. i wasnt working at the time and i had a 3yr old, so i hid it. i told them awhile after i was tired, i aplolgized but explained to them why i did so. they were pretty understanding about it.
lacy_hardesty23
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 2:26 AM
If I was an employer I would consider hiring a prenant woman especially at 20 weeks, you still have a while left in your pregnancy, enough time to train and gain some expeirience.  Another important factor would be honesty, I don't know if you are showing or not yet, but not telling them is not a good idea, cause eventually you will show and that doesn't show character, on the other hand I wouldn't open with it either make sure they know how perfect you are for the job, then tell them unless of course you are showing then wait for them to say  somehting, if nothing is said after a while slip it in.  They may also look at you being pregnant as an extra insurance policy if you are having a baby you are gaining responsibilities and can't afford to lose a job.

Join me at http://www.cafemom.com/group/38966/

A place for Missour Moms With Kids Under 7 to share there expieriences and support each other.

july20080305
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 2:31 AM
from personal expierence i wouldnt tell them, when i was pg with DD i couldnt find a job anywhere, because I thought i was being resopsible with  telling them...big mistake...luckily this time i already had a job and didnt haft to worry about it
AshlyH
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 11:20 AM
I applied and got hired at US Cellular when I was 6 months pregnant. They cant not hire you because you are pregnant. Its against the law. I would say also because you have 10 years experience thats a big plus. If they really like you, I dont think it will be a problem!n Good Luck!

Ashly--SAHM, WAHM, Online Student Mother of 2!

preview image   preview image

blackisbetter
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Quoting fiveelizabeth:

i wore a baby doll dress to my interview around 20 weeks and didn't tell them until after i was hired :)
    Me too. Don't ask don't tell as the military says.  I went to nearly 6 months on the job without telling anyone.  There is nothing they can do. It is illegal for them not to hire because you are pregnant, but they can always think of some other reason not to hir. Don't give them a chance to discriminate.  Don't tell them.

purrtymommie
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 6:30 PM
They wouldn't even hire me at babies r us... silly me i told them about it on a phone interview. At first the conversation was going really well, then once i said that, it went straight down hill from there. I'd keep it to yourself, for now. Good Luck!!
5smom
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 7:32 PM
I was hired at 20+ weeks pregnant too. I did not tell them until after I was hired and on the job a few weeks.

5smom
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured