Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

weight gain

Posted by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 12:22 AM
  • 19 Replies

My one month old daughter doesnt seem to be gaining weight, and i went to the doctor the other day and she didn't seemed to be concerned which only made me more concerned to be honest because then i was thinking maybe she's not a competent doctor and i know that sounds horrible but i just want to make sure nothin is wrong with my daughter.  Anyways, she was born at 7 lb. 3 oz. and was 20 inches long.  When i took her to the doctor Monday, she was a month old and weighed 7 lb 6 oz and was 23 inches long.  Ive been breastfeeding, and the doctor told me to add a supplement 2 times a day which i have been doing.  I am hoping that tomorrow we will see weight gain, but if we don't she said that we would do some blood and urine work then.  I also was doing some research and came about acid reflux in babies and thought that this could be a possibility because no matter how often i feed her she always seems hungry and she has started spitting up a lot more recently.  I don't know, but i was just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience and can let me know what it might be.. even if you think its nothing, say that... I am new to the mom game and like my own mother i tend to worry a lot!

by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleylynn86
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 12:28 AM
If she is spitting up and is not gaining weight have you tried changing her fomula. and the doctor is right taking blood and stuff is the first step.. my first child use to puke so much that we didn't even know where it all came from.. i had to take to the doctors and they did an ultra sound she was so backed up that if we would have waited all of it would have back up in her lungs.. so if you think there is something wrong and you don't think the doctor is doing everything you think they should GO SEE SOMEONE ELSE i seen so many doctors that i was so tired of putting my daughter through the things the other doctors wanted us to try.. but still even if you are a first time mom you will know when something is wrong.. LET me know how the little one is doing..
mom2ljh
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 12:30 AM
It sounds like she's planning to take an appropriate course of action if you don't see weight gain.  My son gained very slowly at first but, he was a preemie.  It took 3 months to catch the charts.  We still have him on increased calories at 8 months, but he's growing great now.

Amanda

Mommy to Landon born 6/21/07 @ 34 weeks
Dxed reflux, Zantac twice daily, Nutramigen 24cal

SydneysMommy125
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 12:32 AM
well i been doing breastfeeding, so it wasn't formula that shes been spitting up- though she has been spitting up some of the formula, but it isn't huge amounts.. its just that she isn't gaining any weight really so i am concerned about any milk she is wasting.
SydneysMommy125
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 12:34 AM
good, like i said i just worry.  i moved recently with my fiancee and i live away from all my family and friends, so although it's not scary being here by myself most of the time (the daddy works a lot), i just get worried that i might be doing something wrong or not knowing what something means in the world of having a baby.
ashleylynn86
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 12:38 AM
OK i also did this you are breastfeeding i hate to tell you think she may not like it.. have you thought about formula?? LOL that is so funny because i tried it with my fist child the one i told you about in the other post and well i didn't make enough milk and on top of that she was a premiee and not gaining weight fast either so.. you might want to think about changing to formula. WIC is a program that is very helpful If you choice to go to formula look for the WIC program
SydneysMommy125
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 12:42 AM
if formula is the answer than its definitely what i'll do, but a part of me loves breastfeeding even though it hasnt been the easiest by any means.  first she made me bleed and then i got an infection which killleeeddd.  i think i would like it best if i could just do both the breastfeeding and formula so i know she's getting part of me and i have that bond and closeness that comes from breastfeeding.  it also kind of sucks to think that i cant give my little girl what she needs...breastfeeding should have been so much easier considering its natural!
Banani263
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 1:35 AM

You CAN provide everything you need for your daughter.. without formula! Some of the ingredients just shock me like taurine which is in energy drinks! I believe your gut is telling you what is best for your babies health and its breast milk! It gives sooo many benefits that continue throughout life into adulthood. I just don't want to see you lose your supply due to supplementing and then regret giving it up especially after all your determination to get through the hardest time and that's the beginning!! Your already past all that and its time to enjoy your breastfeeding. For the weight gain I would just make sure your ped knows that you are firm with continuing to bf and i would suggest feeding more frequently and only one side at a time to get the fatty hind milk. You can also get more of the hind milk if you apply heat onto the breast your feeding from. I urge you not to give up on this you can get through this part as well and if you need advice just ask.

miasmommy21407
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 1:55 AM

Quoting SydneysMommy125:

well i been doing breastfeeding, so it wasn't formula that shes been spitting up- though she has been spitting up some of the formula, but it isn't huge amounts.. its just that she isn't gaining any weight really so i am concerned about any milk she is wasting.

Just remember that BF babies gain weight slower than formula fed babies. You should look at the growth charts from the World Health Organization at www.kellymom.com

Babies don't need to be butter balls so don't let anyone tell you different. Call a Lactation Consultant and ask what they suggest.

One thing you can try is to pump off about 1 ounce of forth milk BEFORE nursing. This way she will get more hind milk. Hind milk is the fatty, calorie packed milk. An LC told us to do this for Mia's jaundice and weight gain and it worked great. NO FORMULA NEEDED! If the baby is still hungry after the feeding give her the expressed milk through an SNS system.

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

I WANT THE BEST FOR MY BABY SO I BREASTFEED!owner-Breastfeeding Moms Against Formula (other than for medical reasons)

cherluvsdrk
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 6:09 AM
don't give up now!!!  the other moms are right, you can just b/f.  you can also b/f then pump for 5 min after each feeding which will help your supply increase greatly and just keep her on one breast during the feeding.  definetly talk to an LLC.

i would try some of the moms suggestions first.  THEN if you are not satisfied with the weight try b/f some and bottlefeeding some.  i used to alternate each feeding between breast then freshly expressed milk in a bottle.  you can get alittle more rest because you can pump whenever so the bottle is ready and someone else can feed your baby while you keep sleeping and get some rest.  

you CAN do this without providing your baby a supplement that is not loaded with all the befenits that b/m has for you and her.  b/m is what she so desperately needs
BethannP
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 8:46 AM
Formula is not the answer!  I would contact a lactation consultant if you are really concerned about her weight gain.  You CAN breastfeed her, w/out supplementation.  There are no babies that dont like breastmilk, something the mother has eaten might not agree w/ baby, but all babies like breastmilk.  If her spitting up is severe, reflux might be something to have looked at, but even if she has it, it does not mean she needs to have formula, breastmilk is much better for babies w/ reflux because it digests faster, so they get more nutrients out of it before they spit it up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN