Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My one month old daughter doesnt seem to be gaining weight, and i went to the doctor the other day and she didn't seemed to be concerned which only made me more concerned to be honest because then i was thinking maybe she's not a competent doctor and i know that sounds horrible but i just want to make sure nothin is wrong with my daughter.  Anyways, she was born at 7 lb. 3 oz. and was 20 inches long.  When i took her to the doctor Monday, she was a month old and weighed 7 lb 6 oz and was 23 inches long.  Ive been breastfeeding, and the doctor told me to add a supplement 2 times a day which i have been doing.  I am hoping that tomorrow we will see weight gain, but if we don't she said that we would do some blood and urine work then.  I also was doing some research and came about acid reflux in babies and thought that this could be a possibility because no matter how often i feed her she always seems hungry and she has started spitting up a lot more recently.  I don't know, but i was just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience and can let me know what it might be.. even if you think its nothing, say that... I am new to the mom game and like my own mother i tend to worry a lot!

by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 12:22 AM
Replies (11-19):
MDPLopez3
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Keep breastfeeding! You're doing a fine job. My LO is  15 weeks and he's 9.4 (he was 7.3 when he was born) as long as baby is having enough wet and dirty diapers you're fine. Do keep BFing contact me and I'll tell you more about what the Pedi and my LC had me do. But baby is fine! Keep going!

620bc559.jpg A Proud Army Wife image by lilwifeynyc   1461405_2234666.jpg Army Issued Wife image by lilwifeynyc62d89a1d.gif Army Wife image by lilwifeynyc

daddybreastfedez0.gif daddy support image by PositivemomDaddySupportsBreastfeeding.gif Daddy supports breastfeeding image by Sonya82righttobf.gif breastfeeding image by unique_style4uwearing.gif baby wearing image by jeffielove
JacksonsMama923
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 10:08 AM
It is good to be aware but don't worry yourself to death. My son was born at 7,13 and two and a half weeks later he was still at his birth weight. He lost almost a pound the first week and a half because my milk came in so late. I too worried my self sick. By the time he was 3 months he was between 55-95%ile and now he is 5 months and in the 95 %ile for his weight. He is a total chunk and we laugh everytime we think about the fact that we were once worried about his weight. Don't get me wrong you should be concerned but find comfort in what your doc says.
pandjmom4ever
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 11:10 AM
NURSE NURSE NURSE!!  The more you nurse the more you make and the more your little one will gain weight!!  When my baby was born it seemed like she was attached to my boob all the time.  What I found helpful was to make a chart and write down the hours in the day in every hour blocks and mark if she peed or pooped or both and if she nursed and which side and for how long.  You can always bring that chart with you to the doctor to show your progress. You also just need to be looking if she is getting 6-8 wet diapers a day. Also the times you are supplementing you are taking away the triggers for your body to make more milk.  Some doctors just jump to adding formula so if you are uncomfortable doing that I would see about switching doctors.  It also sounds like you love the time you are spending nursing so don't give up.  Your breastmilk is the best thing you can give your baby now.  If you need any pointers or have any more questions I am always here to help!!  GOOD LUCK!!

Christina

MamaApio
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 11:54 AM
Just keep on nursing as much as she wants. Nursing is what tells your body how much milk to make. If the baby's hungry then she needs to eat. I personally don't think that supplementing with formula is the answer & it may even cause more problems. As the pp's said breast fed babies gain a bit slower & that is ok. I would get in touch your local La Leche League chapter. They are wonderful ladies with a ton of info & experience. And they will help you for free.
http://www.llli.org/
Definitely if you are worried trust your heart & have her checked out. But formula can a)mess with your supply b)cause a bad reaction with your baby's sensitive tummy.

You said you love to BF, so keep following your heart & remember that babies have growth spurt periodically where it seems as if they are always starving. I recommend getting a sling or a pouch so that you can nurse hands free. Then you aren't stuck on the sofa throughout these growth spurts.

Best of luck to you both & keep up the awesome work!!
savannahsmom242
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM
Did she lose weight while in the hospital, most babies do.  Especially BF babies, your milk doesn't come in for a few days so they are living off colostrum.  I think it's perfectly normal for the baby to be at her birth weight or a tiny bit higher at 1 month.  BF babies gain slower too, I would listen to your doc.  Baby sounds ok to me.  If your super worried about it you could supplement with formula or pump and try to increase your milk supply.  Don't stop BFing though.  No worries mama!

Cleaning Game Group

Photobucket

Click on the banners!

SydneysMommy125
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 4:08 PM
all of you,
thank you so much- it was really nice to see all this advice. i did go to the LC in the area today and got myself acquianted with her.  I have an appointment on Monday with her and i am also going to see about some mother's groups.  i defintiely plan on sticking with the BF just so you all know :) once again thanks for the replies!
Banani263
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 5:52 PM
Great to hear!
mom2ljh
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 5:55 PM
That's VERY awesome to hear.  You're doing a great job Mama.  Keep it up!
michellina124
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 6:07 PM
I wouldnt really worry too much I had twins and my girl weighed 5-11 was in the 13th percentile and really gained so slow compared to her twin brother that I thought something was seriously wrong with her,  I bf also and suplimented because of twin nursing was just a lot of time consumption.  But now she is 8 yrs old and her weight is still low but she is never sick it's just how she is a tiny girl so dont worry too much.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)