Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Anyone else have a Mirena IUD?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2008 at 7:19 PM
  • 13 Replies
I had mine put in after my son was born. It's a 5 year IUD and it's due to be taken out in June of 2010. Well, I have enjoyed it as far as being my means of birth control seeing as how there's no pill to take everyday, there's no hormones or weight gain and there's no patch to deal with. Over the past 6 months I have had a couple of weird experiences with it, I've heard they are normal though. For about 5 months my period started on the 2nd of every month and lasted for 19 days, granted it was always extremely light only calling for a panty liner. But last month it never started, and it didn't come this month either. I took a pregnancy test last month after my period was a week late and it was negative. So I was just wondering if anyone else out there has the same kind of BC and if so, did you lose your period on it?
by on Mar. 9, 2008 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2BOYSSTRONG
by on Mar. 9, 2008 at 7:26 PM
I'VE HAD MINE FOR 4 MONTHS AND HAD THE SAME PROBLEM YOU DID I FREAKED OUT AND THOUGHT I WAS PREGNANT BECAUSE OF LIGHT VERY LIGHT BLEEDING AND THEN NO PERIOD IT IS VERY NORMAL MY DOCTOR SAID SOME WHEN ARE MORE SENSITIVE TO THE HORMONES IN IT... SO CONGRATULATIONS NOT ONLY ARE YOU NOT PREGNANT YOU MOST LIKELY WONT GET YOUR PERIOD FOR THE NEXT 4 YEARS + YAY FOR MIRENA
cutiepie1987
by on Mar. 9, 2008 at 10:54 PM
IT IS COMMON TO HAVE A VERY LIGHT PERIOD OR EVEN NO PERIOD AT ALL.MOST PEOPEL IVE HEARD THAT HAVE IT DONT HAVE PERIODS BUT I HAVE IT AND I DO HAVE A PERIOD.MINE CAME LATE LAST MONTH AND I THOUGHT I WAS PREGGO AND WASENT

http://www.cafemom.com/group/36487

group owner babies before marriage check it out!

Cowgirl_in_Indy
by on Mar. 9, 2008 at 10:56 PM
I have had mine for 6 month's now and I love it. I do get my period however. But I absolutely love it.
torslove
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 2:28 AM
ok thanks! i just stress out about it when i miss a month or it's late. i want another baby but my fiance doesn't right now. and i have to agree, we are not financially ready for a second baby. but sometimes i get my hopes up when it's late or gone. heh. silly i know
bitterlee
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 2:35 AM
LoL - I hate to add to your stress, but my sister got pregnant this year on Mirena - she's in labor RIGHT NOW, with her third son. He's due any minute - literally.

She's the 3rd girl out of a few friends that had mirena iud and still got pregnant. We're in Las Vegas, but I doubt it has anything to do with it, because they all have different obgyns.

If you're negative, I'm pretty sure you're not pregnant because you're supposed to lose your period on it. It never hurts to be sure, though! And from what I hear, it works for most women. I just think it's interesting that the only three women I know that are using it all got pregnant in the last two years.
Perkyflutterby
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 2:47 AM
I've had mine for about 3 or 4 months and I've had one period since then. I've heard that it is normal so I haven't really worried about it, but if you do get worried just do what you did and take a pregnancy test and make sure. It is always better to be safe then sorry.
ISELASMA
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 2:51 AM
I HAD GOT THE IUD IN SEPTEMBER OF LAST YEAR. ONLY GOT MY PERIOD FOR 2 MONTHS AND HAVEN'T SINCE. I FREAKED OUT THE FIRST TIME I MISSED IT BECAUSE A FRIEND HAD TOLD ME SHE KNEW SOMEONE WHO HAD GOTTEN PREGNANT WHILE ON MIRENA. I THOUGHT I WAS PREGNANT. I TOOK A TEST, NEGATIVE! THANK GOD. I'M LOVING THE MIRENA. NO PERIOD AT ALL.
ANGELA
teresalangston
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 2:53 AM
I have the merena IUD and i have had it for 3 years at the beggining my period lasted for 2 weeks at a time but now my period is so lite it's barely there i think its a great form og birth control when i had my son i asked my doctor to tie my tubes buut he refused THANK GOD he recommended Merena and I am so happy because i want another baby.
Teresa <3
megganmarie
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 6:24 AM
I've had mine for a little over a year.  I only have a period like every 3 months or so.  It's a normal side effect to skip periods (or stop having them all together) with a Mirena. 
mommyloveskenzi
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 1:26 PM
i havent had a REAL period in 7 months and my body keeps pretending like it wants to have one SOOOO bad.  Its causing me to cramp HORIBLy and i never used to cramp like that at all...once in a blue moon.
Honestly  i HATE the damn thing.  Anything that makes you stiop having your period is bad for your body.  YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO HAVE YOUR PERIOD.  DUHHHHHH thats why women have periods is to reproduce( i know ya'll already know that)   but the point is ......if you dont have your period and something is stopping you from having your period it is bad
just like when anorexic women stop having a period it means that their body is going into distress...not having a cycle is compensating for the nutrion they are loosing by not eating.
SOOOO i took my IUD  out...just yanked (tugged really)  that bad boy right out......my body was messing up internally SOOO bad , i started passing blood ,ONLY BLOOD, through my poop!!!   just thought i would share.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)