Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
When I was pregnant my husband and I agreed I would only baeastfeed for three months, others suggest longer. I have grown comfortable with it now, but she doesn't like formula. I may never be able to stop.
Caryn4690
by on Mar. 9, 2008 at 11:50 PM
Replies (11-19):
momk23
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 6:47 PM
If both you and baby are comfortable with breastfeeding, why stop? It's healthier, more convenient and way cheaper than formula feeding.  The one thing I would suggest is start pumping some if you can and giving it to her in a bottle occasionally.  That way maybe dad can help with feeding every once in a while and if you want to go out for the evening and have a drink or two you can do it and still have a bottle of pumped breastmilk on hand for feeding.  It will also make it a little easier if you ever do decide to switch to formula if she is already comfortable with a bottle.
momofhbj
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 9:43 PM
My first was like that. She refused to take formula. I had surgery 7 weeks after i had her and she refused to eat till i could nurse.
alalsip
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 9:50 PM
We are at 8 months and going strong. I said for 1 year minimum, now I am at 2. I love the bond I have with Haylie. I am also 8 weeks pregnant, so now I feel that it is even more important to continue. If you are enjoying it, keep giving your baby the best. Why deal with bottles, formula, and the problems (many) it can all cause. Just tell hubby that you are doing what is best for the baby, the world health organization recommend 2 years!!! The reason being is that after the initial year, waening a baby can cause more illnesses as babies are still suseptable to serious illnesses until 2! Also breastfeeding boosts the imminuties. Also, SIDS deaths are highest between 2-6 months, so if you quit now, your babies chance of dying from SIDS increases. Just look up all the benefits and start listing them, he will not stop you, I am sure he is more worried about you and the baby then his tits!! Oh, one more thing, extended breastfeeding lowers the risk of breast cancer!

Come join us at 2007 and 2008 Breastfeeding Babies!!!

Thanks to Heartfelt Signitures and 2Sweetpeaz!

Lululapell
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 11:07 PM
As a mother to a 5 and 8 year old, I really miss those days. It was the only time of the day that I could sit down and snuggle with my little ones. Nothing beats being about to watch them nurse and then fall asleep with a smile on their face. :o) And the nutritional value rocks too. So good for you for keeping it up. You'll really miss those moments when it is all over with.
Alismom321
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 12:51 PM

I understand that you want to do what's best for your baby, breast feeding is the best.. But, your baby has got the best of it in the first three months. If you want to switch to formula, here's is the easiest way: start of by giving your baby bottles of pumped breast milk to get her used to the bottle. Then gradually mix in small amounts of formula to get her used to it. It worked so well for me. Just start with half an ounce of formula and 3 1/2 of breast milk for a few days, then go 1, and 3 for a few. Slowly increase. Keep pumping unless you want your milk to dry up. I wanted mine to dry up so I only pumped what I need to put in her bottles, and it all just worked itself out. Hope it helps :D

Angel-Eyes35
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Keep breastfeeding!  My kid can only tolerate Nutramigen- it's $25.00 for the SMALL can!!!  We go through three a week.  Wish I had kept breastfeeding... 

camsmom8107
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 9:15 PM
All I know is, everything I have read or been told says that breatmilk is best for your baby.  There are sooo many reasons to keep breastfeeding for example: less chance of constipation, less chance for food allergies, less chance of diaper rash, less likely to be obese later in life, the list goes on and on...not to mention there is no substitute for the special bonding time between mother and child.  You have to do what you think is best, but if you are thinking of quiting out of convinence for you, keep in mind it's only a year, and trust me, the time is flying by!  Good luck!
abygailsand
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 9:49 PM
I thought I would stop breastfeeding at 6 months and my son does like formula. The only reason I would want to stop is to get some of my life back. But it is way to expensive. And I thought I would give it to him to get him to sleep through the night and no such luck. I think everyone has their choice. If it works don't fix it. Just for reference my son doesn't like the powder but he will drink Enfamil Lipil liquid. That's the only one that works.

shellnbaby
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 10:07 PM
When do YOU want to stop? There are lots of people that believe VERY STRONGLY both ways but the truth is you have to decide whats best for your child and you. And who says you can't do both? If you want to feed her formula when you go out instead of pumping you shouldn't dry up because you miss one feeding a week!  If you want to introduce formula to her do it in stages if she doesn't like it or just try again another day. Good luck in whatever you decide to do:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)