Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

tell me what you did

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 3:09 PM
  • 12 Replies
My son is six wks. and alot of times at night when i am trying to put him to bed he wants to comfort feed to go to sleep..  should i allow him to do this??  I try laying him down when he already has his eyes closed but as soon as i do he gets fussy and then begins to scream until i latch him on again...  Please give me your advice. should i let him cry it out or is he to young for this??

thanks
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angie729
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2008 at 3:11 PM
Hi..congratulations on your baby boy. Have you tried to give him a pacifer and gently pat his back for a minuite or two when you lay him down? Hope this will help you out.
Kir
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 3:11 PM

This is one of those issues where everyone has a different opinion.  I went with my instincts and co slept.  It really depends on if you want a kid in your bed or not.  Also, if you do co sleep be aware there are dangers if you are a heavy sleeper.

minimom11107
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 3:11 PM
Try a pacifier and don't worry about nipple confusion. If he only gets it for sleepy time he will understand nothing comes from that but that something comes from you when he's hungry.

*Edited: This was the only reason I gave my son a pacifier and we started like the first wek after he was born. He just wanted the comfort of suckling. And it worked great (def saved my poor nipples!)
nicole548
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 3:12 PM
Ohh I am a terrible person to comment on this, lol. My DD is 16 months old & ever since she was born I give her milk & hold her until she falls asleep. You can try it either way & see what works for you. Now she can fall asleep on her own in the crib, I just don't do it all the time. He's your baby, everyone is gonna have different opinions on it, but you gotta do what works for you.

Are you raising a princess?

Then come join us! Click on the link or the pic!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/39945

JessalynnJade
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 3:15 PM
The best way to lay a baby down is awake.  I would try using a mobile or other crib entertaining (The Fisher Price Aquariums are amazing) to help them fall asleep.  You don't want to develop the habit of having to put the baby to sleep before they go to bed, so start putting them in awake.  Make sure they are changed, fed, and warm and lay them down.
Shannon85
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 3:20 PM
way to little for crying it out! its not adviced until around 6months, but its not just letting them cry! ok with that said...its also adviced to put them down when they are still falling asleep...not asleep. He is to little to "get spoiled" but that will change fast :) i would let him comfort himself until he gets bigger(older) with a binki. good luck.

~Shannon, Mom of 1 Girl and 1 Boy...so far

cutiepie1987
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 11:31 PM
I did but thats only my opinion.I know moms would down me for what I did but I used to prop his bottle up just while I was watching him and he would go to sleep then Id take it out of his mouth when he was asleep

http://www.cafemom.com/group/36487

group owner babies before marriage check it out!

Emmy4687
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 11:39 PM
I always feed my son a bottle before he goes to sleep for the night. When he was a little bit younger, the WIC nurse told me that it was ok for a baby to latch on, even if he's not getting any milk, sometimes the action comforts them. Suckling is one of the few things a baby knows how to do, so sometimes they need to do it to amuse themselves. I went out and bought some "soothies" (the pacifiers most hospitals give out) at the local Wal-Mart. They're cheap, and shaped similar to nipples so if you get sore or are worried about it, you can try one of those. Hope I could be of some help! Good Luck!
rmmitchel
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 7:43 PM
Try a pacifier. My kids didn't want them, but they were on the bottle.
camsmom8107
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 9:01 PM
I agree that he is too young to cry it out, and I also agree that you should try giving him a pacifier.  That is what I did with my baby and we had actually asked our ped. about it and she said that giving them a pacifier actually reduces the risk of SIDS. (don't ask me how.)  I actually still give him a paci to go to sleep, which is virtually the only time I give him one, and I think it helps him to know it's time to go to sleep.  (he is 7 months now)  Also, keep in mind that any routine you start now, you will have to continue in the future, so if you always nurse him to sleep he will start to expect it and later you will have to break him of that, which will probably not be very easy.  Good luck!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)