Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

how do you get your child to listen.

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 8:10 PM
  • 5 Replies
I get soooooo angry with my 6 year old for not listning. she dropped the baby refused todo her chore. opened the door when i told her not to open the door when i went to check the mail. told her to go to bed because i couldent stand no more. i had to put her in there 7 times while she kicked and screamed. she is ttill mouthing off but is finally staying in her room. Im at my wits end with her.
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jnjj040407
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 8:13 PM
i cant help but i wanted to say im sorry your having a hard time keep your head up. she will give up eventually.
jeramiahsmom808
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 8:29 PM
ill try here i havnt had mine yet hopefuly you will get more responses.  some things like opening the door when you told her not to has something to do with how children like to do the opposite of what they are told.  tell her if she leaves the door open she is going to get cold.  or in the summer she will let bugs in.  if she says "no i won't'  just wait and see if she says that she is cold and then tell her to close the door or if bugs come in then tell her that she should have closed the door.  for doing her chores have an award system.  when i was litle i had a calender and got a sticker for doing my chores. at the end of the week i got a certan amount of money for getting a certain amount of sticers.  in stead of punishing everythig keep rewarding the good behavier.  i hope this was some help and i hope you get more help. i am no expert so good luck

Jeramiah Desmond Sacks to be born June 28, 2008

Mom2madnmak
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 8:35 PM
Stick to your guns and be consistant and firm.  Up the consequences, loosing fav toys, fav things to do I don't know.  Mine are only 4 and they know who's the boss.  I KNOW that dynamic will change so by being consistant I pray that it'll be a little less painful for us by then.  Let her earn her fav things back only with excellent behavior.  Good luck!
Eeyore3692001
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 8:40 PM
the best advice i ever got was at a parenting group i went to about five years ago, for young and unwed mothers. It was called Love and Logic.

I just got out my workbooks and here is the website www.loveandlogic.com

Hope this helps. i will read over it and see if i can help you more

Ok, here is the basics. check out the website or send me a message if you have any questions.

You give your kids choices, EXACTLY TWO, that are both ok with you as a parent, so when they make a decision, they learn very quickly that THEY made that decision, not mom/dad, and THEY HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE CONSEQUENCES.

For example, you can't get your child ready for bed, for whatever reason. You are trying to get them to brush, bathe, clothes, whatever. They have none of it. Ok, make a game out of it. Do you want to brush your teeth first, or take a bath? they have to choose one of these, and it is what you want them to do anyway. Next, if it is not something they wanted to do, they made that choice, make them stick with it. It will teach them responsability also, to be careful with the choices they make. Ok, they choose teeth, then bath. Ok now, do you want to wear these, or these pj's? do you want to read this one, or this one before bed. Do you want to pick up these toys first or these. Do you want to sit in this chair for time out or the other one, and so on and so on.

They are now responsable for their own actions.
Toni
justlikeheaven
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 8:48 PM
I do different rewards and punishments. If they don't pick up their toys when I say so, I put all the toys left out in a garbage bag and they have to earn those back one by one by picking up their toys when I say it's time. Or if they go to bed without any trouble they get a sticker on their bedtime chart. My oldest is in that opposite phase, too....I usually just tell her if she keeps disagreeing with mommy or not listening, she won't get to watch the movie she wanted or get the snack she wanted or whatever it is she wants that day. Anything special she asks for is only given on the condition that she's been a good listener all day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)