Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Any advice on how to get my 2 1/2 year old daughter to STAY IN BED

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 9:25 PM
  • 2 Replies
My daughter Haylie has been an extremely easy child.  Potty training not problem and a very good listener for the most part!  I can not for the life of me get her to stay in her bed.  She picks at her brother she plays with her toys.  She does everything besides go to sleep.  We have tried reading books, staying up a little later than normal!  PLEASE HELP ME!!!  I WILL TAKE ANY ADVICE I CAN GET
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Eviee
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 9:34 PM
LOL - I will be having this issue pretty soon myself and will be curious as to what other people post.  I'm expecting my 2nd son in April - at which time by 1st son will be 2 1/2 yrs old.  We have to get him his own bed - but I'm also going to get portable bed rails.  Hopefully I won't have to strap him down!! LOL!
GL ;)
lifeasinoit
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 9:58 PM

I had this problem with my first 2 children.  I was used to having my children take an afternoon nap so that I could attempt to get a bit of housework done and some time to take care of myself.  Instead the evenings became more hectic and tiresome with toddlers and preschoolers who had built too much energy.  It wasn't their fault but I remember being very frustrated with them at times.  By the time I had my 3rd child, I changed pediatricians and this very wise precious doctor (who developed the whooping cough vaccine) taught me a few things about the human body and it helped me find a good balance.  This is what she taught me to do:

The first thing she had me do with my 2 1/2 to 3 yr old was to build a nice gentle schedule, a regular routine so that their little bodies could build a rhythm.  The human body actually has a rhythm and works best when its allowed to follow that flow.  I would begin to wake at the same time every morning with my little one.  The human brain reacts best with the sunshine in the morning.  Sleeping late creates sluggishness which in turn causes the body to gain weight, to feel sleepy all during the day, have a lack of energy, etc. 

In the afternoon, right after a good lunch with protein, fruit and vegetables, I would be sure and create a good exercise time by going outdoors everyday possible in the back yard to play, running, throwing a ball, chasing, swinging, sliding, etc.  You can break this time up by going on a good brisk walk down the road, or to the local park.  When your little guy gets tired, have the stroller so that he can rest, but the stroller ride will continue to stimulate his brain.  Be sure to have fun talking about everything you see while on the walk for no less than 30 min.  I would not have any planned naps in the afternoon.  He might cat nap but it won't be a deep sleep unless you place him in his bed.

In the later afternoon, let him "help" you set the table, fold hand towels, carry shoes to their place, etc.  Talk to him like he's a man, teaching him all during the day to be nice, kind, respectful and self controlled. 

At 6 pm be sure and feed him another good meal of high quality protein, fresh fruits and vegetables and a bread and plenty of water to drink.  Remember that sugar spikes the insulin and also builds energy into the muscles.  This energy will need to be expended and can sometimes be used by little guys either exercising, being aggressive and even crying.  So its best to keep sugar drinks and desserts at bay, esp. in the afternoons and evenings. 

Lastly, create a regular schedule with your little guy so that when you begin the nite time process he will know what is coming next.  Children really do not react well at all with changes.  The human body works so much better with routines.  So begin with a warm bath, a few pages of a good book and a line or two of a favorite song, then make sure he is tucked into a room that is dark and quiet.  Also, keeping his evenings low key will also begin the relaxation in the nite. 

Remember that the brain needs plenty of deliberate exercise during the day, but then it has to slow down at nite in order to calm down.  High activity at nite stimulates the brain more.  Keep the lights down low in the home at nite which will prepare everyone in the family to slow down and enjoy a restful nite. 

I know this will work for you as it did for me.  Each one of my 4 children were so much fun because they knew that bedtime was a good time and they each slept well all nite long.  Let me know how well he does.  :)  dianna

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)