Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

spitting up

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 9:43 PM
  • 2 Replies
When does a baby stop spitting up? My son is 7 months and still does it and it's ALWAYS at the wrong time. Any advice on what to do? I burp him after he eats I try not to bounce him around after he eats but it never fails. So I'm just wondering what othr moms do
melissalv
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
lifeasinoit
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 10:27 PM
Hi Melissa,
Spitting up usually is a result from a vaulty tummy valve.  Some babies just have one that seems to pop up everytime food goes down.  More often than not, it is also boys rather than girls. 

One way to help relieve this problem is to be sure to keep his meals evenly spaced.  If you have already begun feeding him pureed proteins, rice cereal, veg. and fruits, you can then offer the bottle (all that he will take), then be sure and toss out everything that he didn't eat (since saliva begins to break down foods immediately and creates bacteria in bottles and food). 

A good schedule that one of the leading pediatricians in the world recommended for the children in the Atlanta area was to have meals 7am, 12:30 pm and 6pm.  Offer water in a sippee cup all during the day but never in a bottle.  Remember that it takes protein 5 1/2 hours to digest so keeping his meals to these times means that his tummy will have a chance to complete the digestion process and completely empty before introducing more food into the gut.  This sounds simplistic but I have seen it work for many many babies with this problem.  Try it and see if it works for you both.  Feel free to chat if you have any more questions.  :) dianna
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom"
kidsrgreat3
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 10:28 PM
Does he have acid reflex.  My son it and it caused him to spit up.  Putting one tablespoon of cereal to every ounce of formula is what my dr. told me.  I used barley cereal instead of rice also, it is suppose to be less constipating i believe.  You might want to just double check with your doctor if you want to start cereal in the bottle and also about the reflex.  Hope i was helpful. 

Tina

The M.O.M Team , Helping Moms Stay Home

www.cheerforyourfuture.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)