Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Do walkers cause injuries?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2008 at 4:04 PM
  • 18 Replies
Is it okay for babies to use walkers? My mom used one with me and I'm fine. I ready that they can lead to serious injury, is that true?
by on Mar. 18, 2008 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ohiomomto2
by on Mar. 18, 2008 at 4:06 PM
I use a walker with my son and I'm sure I used one with my daughter. The injuries are caused when you leave them unattended near stairs, or there's a toy on the floor and it might tip them (however this has never happened to me.)  As long as you're attending your child, nothing is going to happen, and most of the time that they're in there at least at first they're not going to be doing a whole lot of moving anyways!
tjjmp19of2
by on Mar. 18, 2008 at 4:07 PM
i was in one when i was a baby... my kids used them.. i think its more of keeping them away from stairs or huge dips.....i mean use your own "MOMMY" opinion...if you think its safe then ok if you dont then dont!!

Jase James                         Mikayla Linh        

Aug.5th, 2005             Aug. 4th, 2006

yourgie
by Member on Mar. 18, 2008 at 4:08 PM
Just watch out for stairs and stuff like that! I used one! My child is still alive, no accidents with it!
Analicia2001
by on Mar. 18, 2008 at 4:09 PM
Thank you so much for your advice. I also think that as long as I'm watching my little one she'll be fine.
GeekMommy
by on Mar. 18, 2008 at 4:11 PM

It's not just stairs that are a danger with a walker.  Kids can walk into furniture, tipping things over on themselves, walk over towards plugs in the wall and try to put their fingers in them, make their way to miniblind cords, power cables and chew on them, the list goes on and on. 

Babies don't need to be getting anywhere to enjoy moving or bouncing around.  Get a jumperoo, they get the freedom of jumping and the feeling of walking and they don't move out of one spot.  Here's a link to what I am talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-J2460-Deluxe-Jumperoo/dp/B000BXC1AI

Kwynn79
by on Mar. 18, 2008 at 4:15 PM
My DH almost lost his eye when he was a baby in his walker.  It tipped over while my MIL was watching him. We didn't use one for our son and I didn't see the point in having one. 

sunshine03
by on Mar. 18, 2008 at 4:18 PM
The walkers dont cause injury, its the parents who dont use them wisely and make sure that they are in a safe baby proofed area that cause injury. If a baby falls down the stairs in a walker, who let the baby by the stairs. Not the walker.
PookieJules
by on Mar. 18, 2008 at 4:18 PM
OMG YES! THEY CERTAINLY CAUSE INJURIES!!!

I think I almost lost a toenail when my first son was in a walker!
He would come zooming into the room with ZERO regard for bare feet and run over several toes on the regular!

sunshine03
by on Mar. 18, 2008 at 4:21 PM
This is why they need to be in a baby proofed area. We dont use one anymore because she is walking, but we always let her roam in her walker in our dining room that only had a table and chairs. All of our outlets had covers, there were no wires, everything was put up The miniblinds were always raised and the cords were put up. If a parent is cautious about the surroundings, then there is no problem. My daughter never liked a jumparoo. She doesnt like to sit still and never has so a walker was a great solution because she could cruise.
Quoting GeekMommy:

It's not just stairs that are a danger with a walker. Kids can walk into furniture, tipping things over on themselves, walk over towards plugs in the wall and try to put their fingers in them, make their way to miniblind cords, power cables and chew on them, the list goes on and on.

Babies don't need to be getting anywhere to enjoy moving or bouncing around. Get a jumperoo, they get the freedom of jumping and the feeling of walking and they don't move out of one spot. Here's a link to what I am talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-J2460-Deluxe-Jumperoo/dp/B000BXC1AI

CWALETICH
by on Mar. 18, 2008 at 4:26 PM
I used one with my daughter, she absolutely loved it. I was told by my pediatrition not to use one if I was planning on using it as a "baby sitter" because that's when people were having problems with it. Be responisble and you can use it. I never had a problem with ours. Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)