Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Tubes and a one year old

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2008 at 9:39 PM
  • 12 Replies
My little boy just turned one and is getting tubes on the 24th? Anybody have any advice that will help him feel better till the surgery and after?

Darie Russo
by on Apr. 10, 2008 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
k_la
by on Apr. 10, 2008 at 9:54 PM
My oldest son has had 3 sets and my middle has 2 sets.  I did new jammies, and had the drs give them medicine to make him sleepy to ease the seperation.  And for after, a special toy and all their favorite juices and jello.  Also make sure you have ear plugs at home for bath time.  I know with me it was a lot harder on me then it was on them.

Good luck!
MELISSA0318
by on Apr. 10, 2008 at 10:32 PM
same here my son went through two sets already now we did perment i just bougt new jamies and his favorite stuffed animal its really hard seeing them waking up from sugery but you have to be strong for them read my journal on my page if you would like i just went through this with my son last month best wishes to you and him he will be fine!
mimi718
by on Apr. 10, 2008 at 10:36 PM
Ok i feel like an idiot,  at first I thought you were talking about a bathtub so I was completely lost, now I am even more confused knowing your  mean tubes. I hope this doesn't offend you, but I just don't know what it is but would like to.

MELISSA0318
by on Apr. 10, 2008 at 10:43 PM
tubes go in your ears to stop ear infections it helps drain the fluid that gets built up. hope that helps you out
Ambersue
by on Apr. 10, 2008 at 10:45 PM
 My son turned 1 in december then got tubes in January. It went a lot better than i thoughtit would. Its just when they wake up after the surgery that can make you cry. I let my son take his pacifier and his blakie in with him. They even took it back with them when they went to put him under. They did give him something to calm him or put him to sleep not sure which. but what they did use to put him completly under was gas.  Just let him take his favorite blanket or what ever he usually has when he goes to sleep it helps.
BabyNamey.com Name Badge
jymomof2
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 12:46 AM
My daughter got tubes and has had them for a year now. Its amazing the difference they made. She went from talking very little and unclear. to talking full sentences and clear in about a week. You could tell by her face that she was hearing things for the first time after the surgery. She was 2 when she got hers. The only thing I suggest for after is Tylenol and a favorite stuffed animal or blankey for right after to hug on. 
jymomof2
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 12:50 AM
talking about ear tubes. They are needed sometimes when kids get lots of ear infections and or blockage. If they can't hear right it can affect there speech.
moonrivers
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 12:58 AM
When my oldest daughter was one, she got tubes in her ears, and like everyone else said, the kids do fine, I cried like a baby when they brought her out.  She ended up having to have tubes put in every year or so until she was 9.  I can even tell you what they look like, I've seen them so many times, LOL.  They fall out anywhere from 6 months to 2 years after they are put in.  She also ended up having to get her tonsils and her adenoids out as well.  Good luck!
SheHoldsTheKey
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 11:00 AM
My daughter had them put in before she was a year old, and it was definitely harder for me then for her!
They let me carry her back to the operating room, and after I left the room I cried like a baby. Luckily the nurse was really sweet and she held my hand and talked to me for a minute.
What I wasn't prepared for was afterward. My daughter woke up really bad, and cried and screamed for like 45 minutes. It was really hard on me, especially being she wasn't a big crier as a baby. She was thrashing around and screaming at the top of her lungs.

But, it was well worth it. Before the tubes she almost constantly had double ear infections, she's had them for 1.5 years now and we've had only 2 ear infections! Yay.
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

brennerfam
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 11:32 AM
my dd got them when she was 7 months old and after was amazing.. she slept half the day after and then woke up like her old self as if nothing had happened... before, i'd just did motrin... my dr gave us a #1 patient bear before the surgery.... plus our hospital let us take in their "special" toy or blanket or both so they had their comfort while they were still awake... hope all goes well... good luck
oh and the other ladies were right... it was HARDER on the mommy than the kid... for us it only took 2 1/2 minutes per ear and so when they paged us 7 minutes after they took her back i thought something was wrong, but they were just done.. lol

Host a party and earn FREE candles!!!!!!

http://patriciabrenner.ranchhousecandles.com/

you can now place your orders right online!! If you want to learn about getting free candles visit my website and click the contact me link!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN