Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

docs. dont have answer, need help w/ infants illness

Posted by   + Show Post
this all started back around Oct. of last yr. my now 9 month old niece was hospitalized w/ RSV. after couple of days was discharged and we were told there was nothing else that was done but observation. well, she never really got over it. we have been to so many different doc. appt. for every knew symptom, however, docs. just keep saying she is fine. off and onhere are her symptoms:  congestion (put on albuterol and pulmicort (steroid) 4x daily), sometimes her limbs are red maybe swollen (she is very chunky baby, no wrists or ankles), cough, runny nose, fever (4 days now currently) of 103.8, vomiting of everything including meds, formula, pedialyte, bottled water, very lethargic, crying, whinny, just not herself. couple of days ago, i took her to doc. (2 days after last appt.) and she had mild right ear infection. but is vomiting up her antibiotics for that. docs. keep saying that she is perfectly healthy, children's mercy said it was allergies. (mothers intuition says that's a load of crap). i know that we are suppose to trust our children's docs. but something is not right w/ this little girl. just called doc. again and he wants to see her yet another time.  does any of this sound familiar to anyone?  at first we thought just cold, but since Oct.?  Please help.
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 11:48 AM
Replies (21-24):
TiccledBlue
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 2:30 PM
My youngest had RSV when he was 6 weeks old.  He was in the PICU for a week.  Once he was home, it did take about 3 weeks before he kicked it.

My boys have all been sick since November.  It started with a NASTY head cold..the croup...cold again...croup again...this last go round was the first time they have fevers and it was bronchiolitis. 

From what you've said, you're going through somethiing similar to what we've been dealing with...it's viral.  Every time they just start getting over one virus, they pick up another one. 

If she's on an antibiotic and not getting better, then it's not bacterial.  If it was, she'd be getting better.  Do what you can to keep the fever down...Tylenol/motrin...and keep her comfortable. 

If she's taking all those steriods, there's where the swelling is coming from.  the couple of times my boys were on steroids for croup they swelled up and gained weight.

And I'd ask why they have her on the albuterol and pulmicort.  Those are normally asthma treatments....

As for the vomiting...is there diarrhea?  There's a chance it's rotavirus...a virus and there's nothing to do but let it run it's course.  Get the vomitting under control using the usual method and then work on solidifying her bowels (if they're loose) once she can eat again.

If she's vomitting her antibiotic, then she should see about getting a different one.  You said at one point, the vomiting started when she started taking the antibiotic?  It could just be a reaction to that.  Get a different one or stop taking the antibiotic. 

I know it's aggrevating...my boys have been sick since November...they start getting better and then sick again.  And it always hits my 16 month old the hardest....
medicgirl0242
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 2:40 PM
I'm right there with this mom. My daughter was in the hospital for 5 days with RSV when she was 3 months old. It took her about 2 months to finally recover. But, really she never fully recovered. She had 9 ear infections in the first 9 months of her life. The doctors said that was mainly due to reoccuring colds due to the RSV. Unfortunately, RSV can cause immunocompromise. My daughter is constantly sick. All my friends wonder why she is so sick. I had to quit my job so I could stay home with her because she was not allowed in daycare. She had a cough that lasted about a month. They listened to her lungs and said she was wheezing. They told me that if her chest x-ray turned out normal then they were calling it asthma. They said more than likely the asthma was secondary to bronchiolitis. She then developed the high fevers and diarrhea. She went back and had the rotovirus. Now she is 2. Since Jan she has not been sick for only about 2 weeks. She had 2 strings of the flu, followed by an ear infection, and now 2 colds back to back. I can't take her to my friends houses and I am always canceling my plans so she doesn't get anyone else sick. All I can say is stick with it and be persistent. My daughter gets labs pulled a lot, esp when she is sick for a long time. My husband has leukemia, so that is one thing that is constantly on my mind with her. I get nervous whenever her WBC's spike even a little. I know that the RSV is what is causing my daughter to get respiratory infection after respiratory infection. She also has seasonal allergies and that is causing the asthma now, however it's not as frequent as before. Please let me know if this helped at all. Good luck!
Stef
Quoting TiccledBlue:

My youngest had RSV when he was 6 weeks old.  He was in the PICU for a week.  Once he was home, it did take about 3 weeks before he kicked it.

My boys have all been sick since November.  It started with a NASTY head cold..the croup...cold again...croup again...this last go round was the first time they have fevers and it was bronchiolitis. 

From what you've said, you're going through somethiing similar to what we've been dealing with...it's viral.  Every time they just start getting over one virus, they pick up another one. 

If she's on an antibiotic and not getting better, then it's not bacterial.  If it was, she'd be getting better.  Do what you can to keep the fever down...Tylenol/motrin...and keep her comfortable. 

If she's taking all those steriods, there's where the swelling is coming from.  the couple of times my boys were on steroids for croup they swelled up and gained weight.

And I'd ask why they have her on the albuterol and pulmicort.  Those are normally asthma treatments....

As for the vomiting...is there diarrhea?  There's a chance it's rotavirus...a virus and there's nothing to do but let it run it's course.  Get the vomitting under control using the usual method and then work on solidifying her bowels (if they're loose) once she can eat again.

If she's vomitting her antibiotic, then she should see about getting a different one.  You said at one point, the vomiting started when she started taking the antibiotic?  It could just be a reaction to that.  Get a different one or stop taking the antibiotic. 

I know it's aggrevating...my boys have been sick since November...they start getting better and then sick again.  And it always hits my 16 month old the hardest....
hammes_cj
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 8:01 PM
thank you so much so far for all your comments.  i will keep you posted if the docs. ever figure out what is wrong.
Petunia295
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 8:12 PM
I went through the same thing last year with both my girls.  They were sick with everything imaginable.  It started in September and finally ended in late April.  There are so many viruses out there with so many people in the world.  Once your immune system is down you catch everything.  Hang in there! I would definitely try that probiotic one mother suggested. 

quoting TiccledBlue:

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN