Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

the dreaded poop problem

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 12:56 PM
  • 7 Replies
My 3 month old son is a little constipated, but not so much that I think I should call the doctor. I've been giving him some water in his bottle, but it hasn't seemed to help. Should I give him some juice (the Dr. said 6 mos), or Kayro syrup(not sure how to do that), or what ?
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
beckster_01
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 12:59 PM
My son had this problem a lot when he was younger.  What we did was gently push his knees to his chest and hold for a few seconds then rub his tummy.  This helps the poop get out of the stomach.  I wouldn't recommend giving him juice. 
Steph1396
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 12:59 PM
My son used to be constipated all the time. Try lifting this knees up to his chest a few times while he is lying on his back, this sometimes gives them a little boost so they can pust harder. Also, just rubbing his belling in a circular motion will help get things moving. If these don't work, you may have to call the doctor or get those suppositories (sp). Good luck! I feel for you, and him!
bgoody
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 1:01 PM
Oh boy, you're having quite a day..... just responded to your other post, too. My son is 3 months old too. I've had a lot of experience with constipation for both him and my 8 yr. old. All I can do is tell you what my dr. said and what my experience is, okay? But first, is he breastfed? Don't worry, that's not a judgy question, it just matters.
brendansmom15
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 1:02 PM
juice is good and so is karo syrup, my mom would also heat up olive oil and rub his tummy with it

Proud Single Mama to Brendan 10/19/07 

4LifeTupperware
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 1:03 PM
my middle son had that trouble with we put him on Enfamil AR, the doctor said 1/2oz prune juice and 1/2oz water and then wait to see if that helps, if not repeat the next day... my son needed about twice a week to keep him going, my son was 2 months at the time

Melanie

1/27/08              8/10/05       9/9/98              2/17/95

bgoody
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 1:24 PM
Oy, I'm a bit sleep deprived today since my boy thought 4 am was time to get up today. I skimmed past the part of you saying "in his bottle". Anyway, here's what my doc. told me.....
1tsp Karo in 1oz water every other bottle. The sugars bring water into the gut, making "it" softer.
Formula with hydrolyzed protiens can be more gentle. We use Nestle GoodStart. If you register with them online, they send great coupons.
Rubbing his belly, and moving his legs in a circle.... clockwise direction only.
Apple juice (you can get the baby kind that's already watered down) or 1 oz prune juice to 1 oz water.
Last resort.... infant suppositories. You might still need to cut them in half. I've also heard of using a small sliver of bar soap instead, but never tried it.
Remember that babies systems go through a lot of changes and its totally normal for some not to poop even for a week at a time, especially if you breastfeed at all. We just have to read their cues. Don't worry unless he's uncomfortable. Good luck!
GumbyGirl65
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 7:56 PM
My son had the same problem of constipation. We took him to the Dr. and they diagnosed him as a "poop horder". He was prescribed Miralax and it worked wonders.

Miralax is over the counter now..you do not need an prescription. I highly recommend it. It is super easy to take. You mix it in their favorite drink and it is tasteless.

Try it! It worked miracles for us and my son got over his "controlling" the #2 and uncomftable stomach aches.

GG
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured