Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

getting baby to take bottle after breast feeding?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 4:17 PM
  • 1 Replies
OK- need some help.  I've breastfeed only my 5 month old and now want to switch to formula.  He took a bottle in the beginning (i pumped) but I made the huge mistake of stopping the bottle and onlt breastfeeding.  I'm not stopping yet, but I really want him to take a bottle so I can leave the house occasionally.  And I go back to work in a few months.  I tried a dozen different bottles and adiri (shaped like a boob and chemical free too) seem the best.  Anyone have advice to get him to want it?  I heard of heating the nipple.  Had dad try, I've tried, tried different times of day...  Any help is appreciated!
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
GumbyGirl65
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 7:50 PM
When I was weaning my son off of breastfeeding, I had my husband pick one of the feedings and make it their time together. The first time he tried it, my son cried through the entire bottle-feeding. My husband did not back down. By the time the second feeding came around, my son was hungry enough that he took the bottle. I continued to pump to have my husband and/or babysitter feed my son. After 2 weeks, I increased the bottle feeding and my son weaned off. My son was very attached to me so it was harder for him to wean. Then I had a daughter and she weaning very quickly. Go figure!

Warming the nipple is a great idea too. Finding the right nipple that your child likes is the hard part. I think I used Johnson and Johnson. You will want to find one that looks and is shaped like your nipple.

Good luck!

GG
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured