Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

101.9 temp

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2008 at 1:27 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
my son temp went up to 101.9 so we rushed him to the hospital by ambulance to chop or children's hospitals of philadelphia  he puked on me on the way there. turns out  he has this stomach bug that's going around  i haven't been scared  like that since he was born and his heart rate drop very low and then they saw that his cord was around his neck twice  but they said to give him lots liquids and  love him

THE TWO LOVES OF MY LIFE

by on Jun. 11, 2008 at 1:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hldeskin
by on Jun. 11, 2008 at 1:30 AM
Aww I hope he starts feeling better!  Stomach bugs are scary!

*** Mommy of the best baby girl in the world! ***

***And ANOTHER one on the way!***

momoftwins96
by on Jun. 11, 2008 at 1:31 AM
Iam sooo confused. Was he not born yet, how was the cord around his neck? That isnt a very high fever acutally. My dd had 104 and I didnt  have to take her to the ER. Your post is very confusing!!!!!
hldeskin
by on Jun. 11, 2008 at 1:38 AM

She said she "hasn't been that scared since..."  the birth story.  I think he's older now. 

kindigoa
by on Jun. 11, 2008 at 1:38 AM
101.9 is not very high. i was told that it really isn't a real fever until it gets to 102. but hope he feels better!
lifelovekids
by on Jun. 11, 2008 at 1:42 AM
101.9 isnt that high for a child... now my son ran a 105.7 thats pretty scary... he went limp lethargic couldnt open his eyes, couldnt cry couldnt eat or drink... yeah he was rushed to the docs for that... (docs office is atleast a good 20 mins before the hospital)
he had this nasty ear infection... we have to watch his fevers for fear of seizures
hldeskin
by on Jun. 11, 2008 at 1:53 AM
Last time we took our daughter to the hospital with a fever it was 104.6.  The ER doc told us that a fever seizure wouldn't hurt the baby at all, unless she bit her tongue or something.  But as far as it hurting her body, it doens't cause any harm!  I couldn't believe that!  It seems like it would do serious damage.  But, I guess not.  Scary though.  Oh, she also told us that if a baby is going to have a fever seizure, he or she will do it before the fever actually gets that high...  it usually happens at like 102 -103 as the body's way of trying to bring it back down, and usually in the first 3 hours. 
Quoting lifelovekids:

101.9 isnt that high for a child... now my son ran a 105.7 thats pretty scary... he went limp lethargic couldnt open his eyes, couldnt cry couldnt eat or drink... yeah he was rushed to the docs for that... (docs office is atleast a good 20 mins before the hospital)
he had this nasty ear infection... we have to watch his fevers for fear of seizures

lifelovekids
by on Jun. 11, 2008 at 2:01 AM
his fevers would go from 100 to 105 in 20 mins thats why they were so concerned... and then it would stay that high for days.... drop then get that high again fast... no antibiotic tylenol or motrin would get it down... we had to do warm baths... and cold compresses...
his doc was afraid of the seizures... the fact he was so weak to begin with... she said she would hospitalize him a couple of days if he did end up having seizures... THIS MAMA DIDNT WANT HER BABY IN THE HOSPITAL... i was up in the middle of the night cooling him off in his sleep... pushing fluids like crazy (juice, water and pedialyte only) we gave him milk once it curdled in his tummy and he threw it up immediatly.
fevers are crazy scary things!
Quoting hldeskin:

Last time we took our daughter to the hospital with a fever it was 104.6.  The ER doc told us that a fever seizure wouldn't hurt the baby at all, unless she bit her tongue or something.  But as far as it hurting her body, it doens't cause any harm!  I couldn't believe that!  It seems like it would do serious damage.  But, I guess not.  Scary though.  Oh, she also told us that if a baby is going to have a fever seizure, he or she will do it before the fever actually gets that high...  it usually happens at like 102 -103 as the body's way of trying to bring it back down, and usually in the first 3 hours. 
Quoting lifelovekids:

kalio
by on Jun. 11, 2008 at 2:37 AM
I got this from mommydocs.com. Very good site!
Hope your boy feels better soon!

Fever Basics

1. In general, why do parents get so nervous when their child has a fever?

Not surprisingly, fever is one of the most common reasons parents bring children to the doctor. Let’s dispel some myths…Fever itself is not a disease. It is a symptom of another process going on. Fever itself does not cause harm, but the cause of the fever could potentially cause harm.

2. What is Fever Phobia?

in 1980, leading pediatrician Dr. Barton Schmitt developed a term called “fever phobia.” He conducted a study, which looked at why parents are so afraid of fever. Some of the things parents worry about are:
-serious harm can be caused by fever, such as brain damage

-fever can cause an elevated temperature as high as 110 - 120 degrees Farenheit.

A similar study was again conducted in 2001, and found that there are still many unfounded fears and misconceptions among parents. Fever Phobia still exists!

3. What is the true definition of a fever?

Fever is an elevation of body temperature. By definition it is 100.4 F or 38 C. Fever is actually a good thing. It is a protective response, and means the body is recruiting an army of cells to fight infection.

4. Are there certain age groups in which we need to be more concerned about a fever?

Absolutely. All children less than 3 months of age with a fever over 100.4 F or 38 C must be seen by a doctor.
Outside of this age range, you want to be on the lookout for other factors, such as how your child looks, and the duration of the fever.

5. What is the best way to take a temperature?

It depends on the age…
-For children under 6 months of age, a rectal temperature is best. A child up to 12 months will likely still tolerate it. Do not be nervous about taking a rectal temperature–It is the most accurate way to take a temp!

-For the next age group (and on up), you can take an axillary temp, but be sure to add one degree for an accurate reading.

-You can start taking oral temps around age 5.

6. If my child has a fever, what is the best next step?

-Depending on how old your child is, and how he or she looks, you may need to call the doctor, or bring your child in to be seen.

-Keep your child hydrated

-Make sure he or she gets plenty of rest

-You can give a spongebath. Use lukewarm water. Do not use rubbing alcohol or cool baths.

7. What about medications?

Medications are used for comfort. Even though you may think you need to bring down a fever to avoid possible side effects, like brain damage and seizure, they are truly used for comfort.

8. What are the medication options?

There are 2 basic categories:
(a) Ibuprofen. This is also known by the brand names Motrin or Advil.
(b) Acetaminophen. Also known as Tylenol or Feverall.
These meds are given orally, but it is important to know that acetaminophen suppositories are also available.
Do not give Aspirin to children.

9. How do I know how much medicine to give?

In children, medication doses are based on weight. We recommend that every time you bring your child to a well-visit, ask your physician what doses of Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen are appropriate for your child’s current weight.

10. How high can a fever actually go?

In the absence of an external heat source (like being left in a hot car or heat stroke) or having a brain abnormality affecting body temperature regulation, it is very unusual for a temp to go higher than 107 F.

11. When do parents need to call the doctor?

Kids aged 3 months or younger with a temperature of 100.4 F or higher MUST be seen.
In general, after 6 months of age, it’s not so much how high the fever is, but what your child actually looks like.

Some warning signs:
Lethargy, inconsolable crying, stiff neck, signs of dehydration, persistent vomiting/diarrhea/abdominal pain, rash that does not blanche.
If you have any concerns, call your doctor!

12. When can my child go back to school or daycare after having a fever?

-Your child should be afebrile (without fever, temp below 100.4 F) for at least 24 hours, while off medications.

-It is important to wait this long because many times temperatures go down in the morning, but increase in the evening or night.

-A sick child at school will be uncomfortable and sad, and may also be contagious to other children.

13. What about seizures associated with fevers?

There is a type of seizure that is associated with febrile illnesses. It is fittingly called a febrile seizure, and it is a convulsion brought on by a febrile illness. If a child is diagnosed with febrile seizures, it does not mean he or she will have epilepsy. 95-98% of children with febrile seizures do not go on to develop epilepsy.

There is controversy surrounding the cause of febrile seizures (Is it the height of the fever? How fast it rises? Or is it the underlying illness causing fever that brings on the seizure?)

Febrile seizures usually occur within the first 24 hrs of a fever.

14. Are febrile seizures common?

-They occur in about 3-5% (or 1 in 25) of kids.

-If your child has a febrile seizure, there is a 30% chance he or she will have another.

-Febrile seizures usually occur between the ages of 6 months and 5 years.

15. Are febrile seizures dangerous?

Despite the fact that they are extremely scary to watch, most do not cause damage.
As always, call your doctor with any concerns!
snuggs328
by on Jun. 11, 2008 at 8:44 AM
well he was very limp or lethargic   and my mom is a nursing so she  thought we should take him 

THE TWO LOVES OF MY LIFE

hldeskin
by on Jun. 11, 2008 at 12:17 PM
Aww... how's he doing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN