Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mom got raped

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 12:21 AM
  • 16 Replies
So Yesterday afternoon a guy broke into my moms house and raped her for over 3 hours. He had every intent on killing her but, my step-dad didn't feel good so he came home from work early. Well it was happening in the living room beacuse my mom had tried to run to the front door (he came in through their back door). Well my step-dad ended up knocking the guy out after he got him off of my mom and called the cops. The man is in jail and they were told he had other rapes on his record. My mom called me and I just didn't know what to say... I just keep telling her that she has no reason to be ashamed because she couldn't have done anything to change what happened (she kept saying she was so ashamed).
I'm just so mixed up about this.. I don't even know what I'm feeling. The worst part is that I don't know what to say to my mom.
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Daniellesmom17
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 12:24 AM
wow rape is a serious issue there's really nothing you can say that will make her feel better
SFerber
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 12:27 AM
Just be there for her.  She may need to talk or get her mind off things.  She will also probably need to go through a grief counseling and rape counseling.  Just to be there is big.

Also you could give her this.

http://www.hasanyonetoldyou.com/

Helping one family at a time live healthier, safer and a little more grateful.

Sarah6690
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 12:28 AM
Wow!  I'm so sorry your mom and your family had to go through this.  I would just say to obviously be there and be supportive.  Also make sure the counceling that she is sure to need is available to her.  I wish the best to your family.

takeme2paradise
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 12:32 AM
I'm glad he's in jail and I'm so sorry for your mother.  I'm surprised her husband didn't kill the man, though.  Holy crap.  I know a guy that's in jail for walking in on his girlfriend getting raped and the rapist came at him so he killed him.  Talk about injustice.  I think all rapists should have their testicles ripped off and fed to dogs.
Baby Names BabyNamey.com Name Badge TickerBaby Names BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
Thethreeamegos
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 12:36 AM
Honey I was raped for 3.5 hours,and held at knife point,and so I do know what she went through,and the sad part is it was my ex boyfriend,and i weighed only 110 pounds,and he weighed over 200 so he had the upper hand,but I do have to tell u that he got out of all of it,and never got charged for any of it.... So this guy might get out of it as well since he had done things to other women,but no matter how hard they tried to convict him it allways fell through....U just need to give her a shoulder to cry on when she needs it,and let her know she is there for u.... Still to this day I hate being in  my house alone when my kids are gone for the night,and so I end up staying up most of the night making sure nothing is going to happen to me,and I feel that I need to gaurd my house being A single mom to make sure no one hurts me or my kids....She will probly have nightmares like I do all the time,and for me it has been A few years since this happened.... I will pray for her..... It is very sad,and I am very sorry,but if she ever needs to talk to someone who has been through it please let her know I am here for her....Good luck,and God bless.....Staci
ProudYoungMom22
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 12:37 AM
People are absolutely sick. My youngest sister (16) was raped just last year by a man 2 1/2 decades older than her, and we are still dealing with the case now. Her court date is in 2 weeks. Fortunately, your step dad was there. Caught him, and he has a break in to add to it all. I know its hard to know that your mother went through this, but if this has happened to other women, by him. Then just be happy your mom will be the one to bring justice to those women. Thank god for your step dad, if he wasn't there, and didn't catch him the way he did.. This case could be the same as my little sisters. Hopefully he will be in jail for a loong time, and your mom and step dad may have saved alot of women from feeling the same hurt she felt. This is not her fault, and it is normal for her to feel that way. Seeing him in jail will make her understand what he did wrong. He is mentally sick. And needs to be helped. I hope everything works out, and the most important thing is that her family and closet friends are there for her.
malam
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 1:50 AM
Rape is not about sex it is about the rapist having control over another human being...Your mom will be going through many emotions and you need to get her to a rape crisis center and your step dad and you need to go also. Even though you did not get raped the whole family is effected by this action..... It is a good thing that your step dad got to be the person to rescue your mom as he won't go through the "if I had only been there to protect her guilt".

The reason you need to go to counceling is that you do not know what to say to your mom and sometimes when people don't know what to say they retreat from the person because they don't want to say the wrong thing. Just be the loving daughter you were before this happened and try and get her to do things that you used to do....do "normal" things with her....just don't treat her like she is broken....good luck and do some research on the web for you and her....knowledge is power and she did survive this ordeal to live another day....she could have died.

All you need to say to your mom and step dad now is that you love them and that you are so happy that they are both still alive.

Good Luck
malam
ENIGMA007
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 1:52 AM
get her to go to the rape counseling that they most likely offered her at hospital. She needs the therapy now.
ksmommyof4
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 1:56 AM
Just be there for her.Listen to anything she needs to say,share,or anything.I am so sorry that happened to your mom.Look at it this way God was looking down on her and sent your step dad home sick for a reason.Hold her,let her cry and maybe offer to take her somewhere for help.

Momof4LW
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 8:40 AM
Just make her know she is not alone. When I was raped years ago I felt dirty ashamed, embarassed, etc....It will take years for your mother to be even close to normal again. Let her go through it; dont try to rush it. You will make it worse.
Hugs, not words, will work better.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured