Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Problems donating plasma? Does anyone know...

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2008 at 11:26 PM
  • 8 Replies
If you didnt know your were pregnant, and you had been donating plasma...Can it hurt the baby?

Im not even sure if I am or not, but donating has never made me so sick, and it resently has taken alot more out of me than normal.
I took a pregnancy test and it came up negitive...then the next day I thought I was getting my period, but I have only spotted for 4 days...and it has been super light.  mostly only on a napkin after I wipe...only a drop or 2 on the panty liner

This isnt normal for me at all..normally when I spot its brown and yucky..but its been a light pinkish brown instead?? Not to mention I normally only spot like that for a day and then have normal flow....so im really confused. 

can tis be due to donating?
by on Jul. 6, 2008 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kmyree2207
by on Jul. 6, 2008 at 11:38 PM
the best people to ask are the people at the donating place or your doctor.....
shogrl69
by on Jul. 7, 2008 at 11:28 AM
Yes, donating plasma when pregnant can cause a miscarriage!!!! I donated like in 2005, after donating, I got real weak & dizzy and wound up in the ER where I found out I was pregnant!!! Call your ob/gyn and schedule an appointment as soon as possible. If you are in the early stages of pregnancy, a home pregnancy test might not have been able to detect the pregnancy. Also, did you do the test first thing in the morning? You results are more accurate when you use your first morning urine. Good Luck & Congratulations, maybe!!!!
mommytobe090708
by on Jul. 7, 2008 at 11:31 AM
I'm not sure, I know your not supposed to give blood while pregnant so I'm guessing it's the same with Plasma, but I don't know if it would cause any harm. Why don't you call up the Plasma place and ask them? I would also take another pregnancy test to be on the safe side.
MommyBear2003
by on Jul. 7, 2008 at 12:49 PM

I called the center and they said it wasnt advisable for me to donate...but they wouldnt tell me if it could have caused me or my maybe baby any harm.

Im extremely frustrated with them...Its like they are tip toeing around the ??

Anyways, I am still only spotting..but its getting heavier than it has for the last few days....My period might be on its way???

But I am almost a week late? hmm? Las time I was late...I was preg w/ my son..LoL

But Im gonna wait a couple of weeks to see if I get my period. If not I will go to the doctor. 

Until then tho..no more donating for me...

Andrea

Lizzard86
by on Jul. 7, 2008 at 1:27 PM
you know, I was a regular donor too, (After I had my baby) I thoguht I might have been prego cuz my body was TWICE and drained as usual, VERY sick, etc.. and I wasn't prego, I even spotted to. Not saying you aren't prego lol, but sounds like what happend to me, but I think I was just VERY stressed and just tired in general, I say go to the DR (which I did lol) tke a test, if it's pos... ask the dr. If it's neg, I'd ask the risks anywyas. :) Good luck!
nookers
by on Jul. 7, 2008 at 2:18 PM
Plasma is a part of the blood product. As a donor you give whole blood . When you are donating the plasma the blood is spun down in a centrifuge and the the products are separated. Regardless of what you re donating, it's a pint of blood being removed. Plasma is what helps the blood clot. When pregnant you are temoprarily decreasing the oxygen carrying capacity to your fetus by diminishing your own blood volume. Fortunately we can replace what is taken fairly quickly. (That is if you are healthy) 24 hours after donating there should be no ill effects. It's inadvisable to donate when preg. You want to maintain the nutrient and oxygen flow to your fetus.
MommyBear2003
by on Jul. 7, 2008 at 2:32 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice:) Im feeling much better now, and I've desided not to donate anymore. Atleast untill I find out for sure if Im prego or not...trying to find a free clinic to go get a blood test since the home test are all negitive...im probably not..but better safe than sorry.

thanks again
asleva
by on Jul. 7, 2008 at 2:36 PM
I don't think they were trying to tip-toe around your questions, but legally, they can't say whether or not it would have harmed the baby (if you are pregnant).  I work in a lab, and people call and ask us what their results mean all the time...and even though i know the answers to their questions (usually), I'm not allowed to give them any advice beyond "go talk to your doctor".
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)