Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my son fell and hit his head how long till he can sleep?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 8:40 PM
  • 10 Replies
My son fell down the stairs around 4:30 and we call the doc but they have not called back. he isnt acting funny but he does have a bruise on the side of his face. its almost bed time and he says he is tired im not sure what to do any advice?
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adamsmom05
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 8:46 PM
My doctor said it was OK to let them sleep, but to just keep an eye on them , and wake them every now and then. OK

If he starts to get sick .vomit...I would take him in.
ILuvMySon2406
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 8:46 PM
i ALWAYS email this website, ALLEXPERTS.com, its a webiste where u ask questions to all type of medical proffesionals, including PEDS. My son fell head 1st from his playpen and has a huge knot on his forehead....HUGE! I was freaking out, went online and asked them, but i already knew wat they were going 2 say,that if the baby didn't vomit, and is acting normal he's MOST likely fine, and he was. And i looked up falls and stuff, u can let them sleep after if their feeling fine, just keep a CLOSE eye on them that WHOLE 1st day and night. I let him sleep after, i just nudged him to every few minutes to make sure he was ok, to get a response. I'm positive he's fine, n u can let him sleep
-BiAnCa
HeidiofBoise
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 8:49 PM
Well I was worried when my son hit his head on the cement on our patio last week.  I was told with a concussion they are immediately tired.  My dh had one years ago and said he couldn't keep his eyes open right after it had happened.  Also, if you look into their eyes they can't focus.  I hope that helps a little. 
threeboysonemom
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 8:58 PM
I definately don't want to scare you, but I have a special place in my heart for this at age four My middle son hit his head on concrete, he swung a minature wooden baseball bat to hard and it hit the back of his head and he fell forward on concrete. I got him ice and kept him awake I put a movie on and monitored him closely. It is very rare thathte next part I tell happens I want that to be clear when he got up to ask me for a drink he was walking like a drunk person and with in an 30-45 minutes I took him to the ER where he was put on a ventilator and life flighted to a childrens hospital down town houston. I was told that he had a concusion that came on slowly which happens to only a small percentage of people who have head injuries long story short thank god after a week he was off the ventilator and playing video games at home how ever he has to be careful for life another frontal injury to his head can kill him. The most important thing I learned that the neuro sergeon told me while evaluating him was it is not always true that the eyes dialate and that sleeping is not an issue just to do what you can to monitor your childs motor skills if they seem to be getting worse or if it is hard for your child to do simple tasks after an hour take the child in other wise you child should be fine! We will say a prayer for ya'll at bed time and I hope all is okay.
Osstie
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2008 at 9:03 PM
In my first aid class they told us that rest is good... just like if twist your ankle, you rest it... the brain has to rest after injury. As long as he isnt vomiting he should be ok... check his pupils too to see if they are the same size.
nellyb118
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2008 at 9:05 PM
He can sleep....just check on him often. My son decided to jump off the bed when he was 2, and he fell head first into the corner of our night stand, we rushed to the ER because it immediately turned black and blue, and the weird thing was he didnt really cry, so it scared us, but he was fine, they said just a mild concussion, and when there they said its fine to let him sleep!
ilovemy_soldier
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 9:07 PM
I was told when my son had a concusion sleep is good for them.. As long as the knot is not sinking into his head! so i would say he should be fine as long as he aint acting funny or vomiting!
jessand5
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 9:14 PM
my doc said if something going to happen its going to happen with your child up or sleep so i dont matter wand you put the child to sleep anymore
Cutie2Kewls
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 9:16 PM

As long as he is not dizzy, vomiting, and both pupils are normal and the same size he should be ok. Hope everything goes well.

BruNNeTTeBarB
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 10:25 PM
I'd call the after hours line of your pediatrician or even a 24 hour clinic and ask how long.  I DO know that you need to wake him up a couple times in the middle of the night to ensure he does not have a concussion.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured