Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Burning incense around a baby?

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2008 at 12:52 AM
  • 12 Replies

Is that bad? I know it may sound like a stupid question but I'm just curious. I had it burning in the house today and you could smell it but I had a couple of windows open too. My daughter is 6 months old. Thanks for any help ladies! : )

"When we trust the makers of baby formula more than we do our own ability to nourish our babies, we lose a chance to claim an aspect of our power as women. Thinking that baby formula is as good as breast milk is believing that thirty years of technology is superior to three million years of nature's evolution. Countless women have regained trust in their bodies through nursing their children, even if they weren't sure at first that they could do it. It is an act of female power, and I think of it as feminism in its purest form."
----- Christine Northrup M.D.
"A midwife thinks that birth is a miracle and only messes with it when there is trouble.  An obstetrician thinks that birth is trouble and if they don't mess with it, it's a miracle."
by on Sep. 22, 2008 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cass0289
by on Sep. 22, 2008 at 12:54 AM

I would most definetly NOT think it's a good idea.  Babys lungs are small and new and it is hard to be around inscense.  It would be like them being around cig smoke.  They would still be breathing it in.  Plus sometimes it does a number on the eyes

JADIEBUG
by on Sep. 22, 2008 at 12:54 AM

I think of it as smoke...I enjoy it - but refrained from doing it so far. You had the windows open you should be OK. I am nervous to do it because my son has breathing problems.

marigrimes
by on Sep. 22, 2008 at 12:55 AM

I burn it in my home, but only when the kids are gone. Both mine have asthma very bad. I dont see a problem doing it around the kids, just watch for an allergic reaction or breathing abnormalities.

♥Mommy to 2 Angel's ♥ Loving Wife to Jay♥ 

preview image  preview image   

Mama2twins05
by on Sep. 22, 2008 at 12:56 AM

umm i've never heard anything bad about it, i wouldnt think it would be bad as long as its not right there next to anyone.  we've always had it around, not daily, but nonetheless no health problems here.

BaileynMe
by on Sep. 22, 2008 at 1:03 AM

DD is seven months old and we burn it from time to time. We keep it in the bathroom for, well, obvious reasons, lol. We don't burn it while she's in there. She doesn't have any breathing problems (if your child does, like asthma or weak lungs, I'd definitely avoid it) and it only burns for a short period of time. The weather is so nice here right now that we're always keeping doors and windows open (our sliding door is open right now; even when it's hot we open the sliding door in the cool part of the mornings) for ventilation. I'd say just be careful; I don't think burning one stick is going to make your child sick or affect their lungs adversely (as long as they don't have preexisting conditions that can be irritated by it.)

If you're really unsure, ask your pedi.

sierram
by on Sep. 22, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Oh of course I kept an eye on her and she didn't seem bothered by it all. I personally don't think it's anything like cigarettes because their isn't tar or rat poison in incense! She hasn't had any breathing problems since she was born so I will watch her and always keep a window or two open in the house.

"When we trust the makers of baby formula more than we do our own ability to nourish our babies, we lose a chance to claim an aspect of our power as women. Thinking that baby formula is as good as breast milk is believing that thirty years of technology is superior to three million years of nature's evolution. Countless women have regained trust in their bodies through nursing their children, even if they weren't sure at first that they could do it. It is an act of female power, and I think of it as feminism in its purest form."
----- Christine Northrup M.D.
"A midwife thinks that birth is a miracle and only messes with it when there is trouble.  An obstetrician thinks that birth is trouble and if they don't mess with it, it's a miracle."
kalio
by on Sep. 22, 2008 at 1:04 AM

it's not a bad idea, just keep an eye out for any sensitivities. a lot of people are allergic to it or are very sensitive to it.
i love it but my oldest has asthma tendencies (hasn't been fully diagnosed yet) so i just tend to be careful.

NachoCheese
by on Sep. 22, 2008 at 1:04 AM

As long as it's not burning anywhere near baby I don't see why not. =)

BUSYMAMA5
by on Sep. 22, 2008 at 1:08 AM

Not being rude but smoke is smoke no matter where it comes from maybe get the oils that burn on the burners for them only?? idk I do burn candles in my home but thats it I know my oldest dd goes to friends house and they burn incense she gets headache and comes home coughing, but she has asthma.

kadies_mom_06
by on Sep. 22, 2008 at 1:11 AM

i wouldnt see a problem with it my husband burns them from time to time and my dd has never had a problem with it and she is 2 we just make sure that they are up high and i dont let him burn them in the same room as her.

And to the person who said they are like cig. smoke that isnt true yes its smoke but it is diff.you dont have any were near the amount of toxic chemicals in incense as you do in second hand smoke these 2 things arent really compairable at least not in my opinion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured