Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Cotton Boll Weevils-- dangerous? Do they bite? Help!

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 1:25 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hi Ladies,

Recently I have been finding these bugs in the bathroom. It took me a week of Internet research to identify them, but I finally discovered they are called cotton boll weevils. I am wondering if these things bite humans and animals. Are the poisonous? Do they eat clothing? Wood? Should I panic, or are they harmless? I have a crawling infant and an indoor dog so bug bombing is not an  option. Also, I am on the second story of an apartment complex (it's clean, BTW), so spraying around the building is not an option either. If it helps, I am in the NW Chicagoland (suburbs) area.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

baby boyEthan Andrew 2-13-08

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

prayingbreastfeeding

by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Hayes
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 1:59 PM

honestly?  i have no idea.

whitneycannon22
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Never heard of them before. Every now and then we have earwigs in our bathrooms and they pinch, only when they feel they are in danger ( I think) but not poisonous

whitneycannon22
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 2:08 PM

It doesnt say anything on the internet about them living n houses. Just in cotton fields because thats what they live of. IDK

JADIEBUG
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Yeah it is weird to find them in a house...Are you sure that is what it is?

Quoting whitneycannon22:

It doesnt say anything on the internet about them living n houses. Just in cotton fields because thats what they live of. IDK

dosthepost
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 2:12 PM

They infested cotton fields back in the day... so I'm assuming they'd at the very least be harmful to cotton clothing. Idk about people, I couldn't find anything that said they could hurt people, but I couldn't find anything that said they wouldn't... so I'd say just be careful until you find a way to get rid of them.

MANDY26325
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Yes, I am 100% sure they are cotton boll weevils. I looked at dozens of pictures online and they match exactly what I have. I know that is strange to have them in a home as they are a field/garden pest, but they somehow like my apartment. It's not an infestation, really. I've found maybe 5-6 over the past 2 weeks. I just worry about how dangerous they are as I can't find this information online.

baby boyEthan Andrew 2-13-08

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

prayingbreastfeeding

sandylol
by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

They are not supposed to bite humans, but I found one in my bed last night because it bit me! I felt it, and grabbed it. No mistake. It is absolutely a boll weevil. I'm in Texas. The drought must be making them crazy. Hopefully you handled your bug problem long ago, but just wanted to pass on that they do bite other things even if by accident.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Sep. 28, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I just researched them and it said they feed on cotton and flowers but that they are medically harmless.

sandylol
by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Guess what? Nut weevils look the same as boll weevils. That makes more sense since we have lots of oak and pecan trees around here. There are some great arkive.org videos online showing an acorn weevil boring into an acorn. It flew off in the end! The one that bit me looks more like a pecan weevil - the acorn weevil's snout is much longer. The bite is apparently no health hazard, just hurt like a pin-prick.

MaddiesMama09
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 1:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Eeeeekkkkk! Just wanted to say that I had never heard of a boll weevil so I just googled it. Gross!!!!! Thank the lord for my pest man and my location (CA coast), because I would have a stroke if I came across one of those. I'm so NOT a bug person.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)