Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Mucinex for 3 year old

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2008 at 6:18 PM
  • 6 Replies

So my son (he's 3) has a cold and a really bad cough.  This is his first year of school and his first colds.  We bought some mucinex for kids, but I feel really guilty about giving it to him because of all the stuff that went on last year about kids and cold meds.  Anyway, do any of you give kids that young meds for a cough?

Thanks

by on Nov. 30, 2008 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
samanthasmom05
by on Nov. 30, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Okey My Daughter Is 3... I Give Her 1/2 Teaspoon Of Delsym For Cough....I Give Her One Packet Of Mucinex For Mucus And Such Like That...Stuffed Nose I Used nose spray...Hope I Helped You Out Momma...Good Luck..

bikingmommy
by on Nov. 30, 2008 at 6:26 PM

Thanks.  It helps to hear that other moms do the same.  The media always has me freaked out about everything!

samanthasmom05
by on Nov. 30, 2008 at 6:29 PM

No Probelm I Would Do Anything I Can To Help Out Other Mommies...Media Is Ignorant About Medications But I Ask A Pharmacist Here And They  Told Me Its Okey To Give Them And The Dosage I Gave You Is The Dosage For A 3&4 Year Old Child...Hopefully It Helps Out..

cmabbott
by Member on Nov. 30, 2008 at 6:31 PM

If mucinex doesn't work, try putting them in a warmer than usual bathtub with johnson and johnson's soothing menthol baby wash.  It helps my kids sitting in the tub and breathing in the vapors, and unlike vicks you don't have to worry about them trying to eat it.  It helps drain their sinuses and then use infant robotussion (they do still sell this, but make sure you follow the correct dosages).  This helps my daughter tremendously every winter.

littlemama9130
by on Nov. 30, 2008 at 6:33 PM

I work in a pharmacy and my 3 year old had a really bad cough and cold earlier this year. I asked my pharmacist if Mucinex would be ok to give him and they said it wasn't a problem. It says to give kids 1 to 2 packets, at their age I would do no more than 1 packet. Give them half if you don't feel comfortable giving him the whole thing. It really helps. I gave it to him for about 5 to 7 days, and he felt so much better afterwards. Good Luck, and I hope your little guy feels better soon.

bikingmommy
by on Dec. 1, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Thanks moms for all your advice.  It does seem to be working.  Now I feel horrible!  The first year of school is great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)