Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can he possibly remember??

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:21 AM
  • 3 Replies

My baby boy is going to be 6yo in May, only six more months... wow, guess he's not really a baby anymore now, huh? Yeah, he was born in May of 2003.

My grandpa died on December 11th, he was the ONLY father-figure I had in my life for a long time. I was very close to him, despite our many differences of opinion. To make this clear, he's MY grandpa and my son's great-grandpa.

When he first found out I was pregnant at the ripe old age of... seventeen, lol, he was the ONLY one who didn't ask me to get an abortion. He looked at me and told me that things will be different now, I need to sit down and SERIOUSLY consider the pros and cons of having a baby shortly after I turn eighteen as well as the pros and cons of possibly having an abortion, he said I needed to be able to live with whatever decision I made and he didn't want to see me regret my choice.

Obviously, I chose to keep my babyboy.

Grandpa wasn't too happy about it at first, he thought I was still too young to take on the responsibility of a child, plus he HATED my son's biological father. After my son was born though, things really changed. My grandpa was always the first to hold him whenever we came over, he played with him all the time.

Did I mention that my grandpa was bedridden due to a life-threatening disease? He did everything with my son despite that, he truly loved my son and took immense pride in him. I have lots of pictures of them together, breaks my heart that my grandpa won't be here physically to watch him grow and play with him anymore... but I do have memories.

Apparently, so does my son.

Out of the blue, every once in awhile, Jonathan will tell me about something that Grandpa used to do with him or say to him. He told me once about how Grandpa used to sit on the edge of his bed and lay Jonathan on his knees then bounce him, Jonathan loved that. Just today he told me that Grandpa once told him that he was a gorgeous little boy and he was very proud to be around for his birth, that he wanted Jonathan to always remember that Grandpa loves him very very much and will always be in his heart.

I'm so glad that my son has these memories of his great-grandpa, afterall he was a very loving (if strict) man and I love him dearly. However, I don't understand HOW Jonathan can have these memories! My grandpa died on December 11th, I may have mentioned that.

However, he died on December 11... 2003, my son was only 7months and 9days old.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:25 AM

how sweet is that!! I don't know.  I don't see how he could remember being so young unless people remind him and tell him stories about his grandpa but hey anything is possible. 

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:26 AM

Wow, that's amazing. I've heard things like this how kids can remember things like that. And one time my DH's cousin said that her daughter has never met her great grandpa (my cousins grandpa) because he did before she was born but she can point out her great grandpa in pictures and one day was asked how she knew and she said that she's seen him before...I think she said in a dream or something, not sure.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:13 AM

I don't know. But amazing that he does!
When my mom was pregnant with me she was living in a trailor in the mountains. One day she was taking a walk and came upon a small black bear. Nothing happened but it scared the crap out of her!
She never told me about this and one day when I was about 3, I was asking my mom remember how we saw that bear when I was in your belly? She was so spooked by what I asked her! She couldn't believe her ears! It sounds crazy and not many people believe it.

we need to find a cure.

Are you a young teen mom? Feel you have no one to go to?
Want someone to trust and can ask them anything without fear of being judged?
If so,come check out Big Sister's. We're here to help you! :]
Or do you want to become a Big Sister?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)