Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you ever? Experienced mommies..

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:20 AM
  • 11 Replies

My babygirl is 9weeks old and does not sleep!! She loves to be held but hates any pressure on her belly. She does, however, love her swing. I have read a lot of horror stories but how careful should I be about leaving her in her swing for an hour or two at a time or if she falls asleep in it? Is it okay to resort to the swing a lot? I feel bad but I need some help!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:23 AM

Swing away!  Never unsupervised.  But it is just simulating you holding her, so if it helps her sleep, use it!

"Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies."

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:24 AM

there was a few times i had to use the swing for my son to get him to go to sleep. if it works why not??

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:26 AM

my son practicly lived in a swing for a few months, I kept a close eye on him and checked on him frequently. Aslong as the like the swing and are happy to be in it i dont see a problem with it!! just be very careful about it.

good luck momma!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:28 AM

I used the swing quite often with my son. It was the only way he would go to sleep without me holding or nursing him. And I needed a break. Maybe he was just an easy baby but he was just fine once he outgrew the swing and we had to stop using it. No problem with us! If it helps you get some free time and helps her sleep. Why not?

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:30 AM

You are lucky that she likes it and sleeps in it for you.  Go for it!!  You can try to shut it off or slow it down once they are deeply asleep - to save batteries and if you are concerned about it. I always thought they looked so cute in them sleeping.  I would just make sure that you have her spend not all her sleep time there so that she does not get too, too use to it.  She still needs her crib or bassinet to sleep in at night. Perhaps she needs some soothing music or more squaddling to sleep better in them.   And give her plenty of time on her tummy when she is awake to avoid flathead in the back. I can't recall if they need to be older for tummy time or not-ask a dr to be sure.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:38 AM

My DD pretty much lived in her swing. She loved it and was sleeping in it alot. But I always had an eye on her.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:38 AM

my daughter slept in her glider for the first 3 months olf her life. So I see no wrong in it... if she is happy so for it. Its whatever works for your little one. Right now, my daughter is 10 months old, has a sealy matress in her crib, but she rather sleep on the floor... she will only stay in her crib for nap times, but bedtime, she sleeps a whole 9 hours on the floor!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:46 AM

Honestly, I always say mommy knows best, so follow your motherly instinct because EVERY baby is different. One of my twins slept in her swing for the first 4 months for a lot of reasons and to be perfectly honest a big one was so that we could ALL get the sleep we needed, but she also had very very bad acid reflux and usually once or twice a night she would vomit so bad that she would start gagging and choking and being a new mom, I needed extra peace of mind that she wouldn't choke to death so she was put in her swing so that she slept more upright. I obviously jumped the second it started everytime, but you know the new mom jitters. Her twin sister slept in one of those fischer price soothing motion gliders, which I HIGHLY reccomend, especially if they sleep best in the swing but you're nervous about using a swing for sleeping, for whatever reason. It sits much lower to the ground and it cradles and hugs their bodies perrfectly. Neither of my girls ever got even the slightest of a flat spot on their heads (which i've been told is one of the worries of prolonged swing sitting) neither of them ever fell out or slid out and at 4 months I moved them to their cribs with no problem at all. But all the way up to a year, if one of them had a head cold they would sleep in the swing or glider because the incline helped keep their noses clear so they slept better.

by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:10 AM

Both of my daughters slept in the swing on a very regular basis until they were like 3 mos. old. I had no problems with it.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:13 AM

my son would only sleep while being held or in his swing for about 2 months... and i let him sleep there.. he grew out of it... and now sleeps in his bed he is 16 months old now and is perfectly healthy...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)