Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Terrible bed time

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:34 AM
  • 1 Replies

all of a sudden my 2 1/2 yo son has startd to fight us at bed time.  we haven;t changed the routine at all, but he keeps getting out of bed and kicking and screaming asking to be rocked more, cuddle more, read more whatever he can think of.  The other night he was up until 10:30 doing this, I had to give him benadryl.  he goes to bed at 8:00.  And naps are few and far between now too.  It all started at the same time.  When I try to put him down for a napo it's the same thing.  So he has 45 minutes quiet time w/o toys, t.v., music.  No stimulus other that books.

What can I do to help with bed time, It's driving me crazy

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
mrspoulson
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:24 PM

I just got done reading a book called "It takes a Parent to raise a Child" by Glen C. Griffin, M.D. In it he talks about using a nightly routine to help your children transition to bedtime. You say that you are already using a routine and that is wonderful. In the book he says to have the routine include bath time, teeth brushing, toilet time, sitting by their bed to talk about the day and read a story. This is a great time to have some one-on-one time with your child. Sit next to them and just talk with them, and really listen to them. Sometimes they just really need to know that you are there for them. With you son asking for more hugs and cuddles, this sounds like what he needs. If he doesn't want to stay inbed beacuse he is afraid, look around with him and show him that nothing is there. You may also want to let him know that you won't let anything happen to him. If your son usually asks for a drink before bed make that part of your ritual as well. But only a small drink so he won't come out again asking to go potty. If he somes out for anything, the book says to "pick him up, give him a hug, whisk him to bed, No coaxing. No begging. No arguing. No negotiating. Give him another hug and within seconds have him back in his bed, tucked in, and the door closed. Good Night." You may have to do this repeatedly until he realizes that bedtime is bedtime and that is the rule. But remember that you don't need to coax him or beg him, you just need to put him in bed and expect him to stay. You do this to train him to go to bed. You don't want to continue letting him come out begging for things because he will continue to do this until he trains you. You don't want that. I hope that this information will help you. Good luck.

~mrspoulson

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)