Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 year old won't eat! Is this normal?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:01 PM
  • 3 Replies

She is a very busy little girl.  The past few days she seems to have no time or patience to eat or drink fluids.  She is getting over a cold, no fever though and until last night was sleeping well.  Anyways....

So she was doing well at eating food, people food, self feeding, etc.  But over the past few days she is almost refusing everything!!  This past Saturday she wouldn't drink anything til almost 6 in the evening.  It has been freaking me out!!!  Doctor said that as long as there is a wet diaper every EIGHT hours she is alright.  That alone freaks me out because usually her diaper is soaked in two hours or so during the day.  Now I can only get her to eat "puffs," or baby food if I give her a toy to mess with.

Should I be worried or is this a phase?  Would teething make her anti food and sometimes liquids??  Today she is back to normal with her bottle but her school just called and said they have tried three different foods and she is just throwing it on the ground!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
KLEdie
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:14 PM

My son did a similar thing after he turned 1.  It was actually more around 16-18 months with him, but he did go through a phase where he didn't eat much at all.  I was concerned too, but he seemed happy and healthy, so I just assumed he was fine, and he really was fine.  It only lasted a few weeks with him (maybe 5 or 6, can't remember), but he eventually went back to eating just fine.  I do know (from working at a daycare) that turning 1 can be a hard time for the little ones and there are a lot of changes they are going through.  Just give it time.  I would just offer her things you know she likes to eat and occasionally throw some other foods in there to see if there's any interest.  At some point, she'll eat again!  :)

crydaigle
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:24 PM

My daughter is doing the same thing right now.. The doctor said it was normal and to keep offering her fod like I would normally. She will still eat french fries and chicken nuggets (homemade) so she gets those a couple times a week. Other than that, she snacks on Cheerios most of the day. My doctor also suggested the Pediasure Pediapals. They are like a smoothie texture and they taste really good, but they have extra nutrients and stuff that milk isn't necessarily helping with so I give her a couple of those a day.

jeanie1020
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Thank you so much. I actually just called the daycare and they said she is drinking bottles but has temper tantrums when you give her food..... so we'll see

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)