Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

STD Question

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:21 PM
  • 15 Replies

One of my relatives that my son will be seeing for a prolonged period this holiday has Herpes. He has never ad an outbreak so he does not know what strain he has. His Dr told him that it can be transferred through saliva . He is on medication . How careful do I need to be? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Heidi2512
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Genital Herpes or Oral (aka cold sore)?

Hanah
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:26 PM

He doesn't know because he hasn't had an outbreak.

Heidi2512
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:28 PM

so then how does he know he has herpes?

kris1975
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:28 PM

I have had oral herpes since I was a kid.  I've never spread it to anybody.  When I get signs of an outbreak I just make sure I don't kiss anyone or share food & drinks.

xhellxfirex495
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:23 PM

it could be herpes symplex type 1. i think thats what its called. its like just getting cold sores. that is the only one i know of that is transfered through saliva.

sorry i couldnt be of any more help.

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Katy_Lentz
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Sorry, but I wouldn't let my kiddo go stay with him. What if he accidentally grabbed a cup that was his? Good luck

Hanah
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 5:10 AM

Quoting Heidi2512:

so then how does he know he has herpes?

he had a blood test done after being raped and it came up posative for herpes and he was put on Valtrex and has never had an outbreak.

Brandie_xo
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 10:03 AM

You really dont need to be all that careful. I've gotten cold sores since i was alittle kid.

I kiss my husband, i kiss my daughter, we share food and drive after each other, as long as its not while i have a cold sore, and they have yet to get it.

baby

TivaDiva02
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 10:15 AM

almost everyone carries the herpes virus that causes cold sores.  (someone help me out with the type please).

since you said he got it after being raped i'd say it was genital herpes and there shouldn't be a great deal of concern.  yes, it can be transferred through the saliva but the chances of coming in contact with genital herpes through saliva is slim at best.

Knowledge Is Knowing That A Tomato Is A Fruit Not a Vegetable...
Wisdom Is Knowing Not To Include It In A Fruit Salad

busymom3kids3
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 10:22 AM

My son gets cold sore really bad.  I kiss him all the time and we share food and drinks, and I have never had one in my life.

Now..I do know that a person with cold sores can pass it onto someone while going down on them.  If you have a cold sore and you are engaging in oral, you can pass iton that way. Just FYI.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)