Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions about EPISIOTOMY

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:34 PM
  • 34 Replies

I'm 24 weeks pregnant with my first and I know I still have a ways to go until I deliver, but I getting a little freaked out about the delivery. I want to have a natural birth but I'm worried If I need a episiotomy it will hurt like hell. Not to mention the pain afterward. So my questions are to those who had a natural birth and others who used medication: Has anyone had one? How bad does it hurt ( when cut and/or after)? Do they really need to cut from hole to hole? I'll prepare myself to hear unpleasent things. So please TELL me everything! THANKS LADIES!!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MikeysMom51108
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:36 PM

I've read that you'll heal faster if you tear naturally rather than being cut.

I tore with my son, and it didn't hurt at all. One day about a week after my son was born, it was a little tender, but that was it.

Blondee512
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:36 PM

I had to have two epis. when I had my first delivery. I was natural all the way, and I had to have one up and down, and one side to side. You are already so numb from the area stretching, and the pressure of the baby's head that you really don't feel it. I was shocked and awed when I saw what I had down there and to think I didn't even know when it happened. I felt nothing.

jiara1
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:37 PM

I ended up with a CSection...but a girlfriend had me rubbing olive oil "down there" at least daily.  Someone told her to do this before giving birth to avoid the episiotomy and it worked for her both times!  I was doing all the preparation, just didn't get all the way!

Good Luck!

pinkguitar87

It didn't hurt me at all... I did have a epi but it was wearing off... She did give me shots of numbing medication also... And no they don't have to cut you from hole to hole unless it is neccessary... I had like a inch and a half cut... I do have to say though that the numbing shots did hurt like hell... I just figured getting one was ALOT better then tearing... GL!!!

Mell-belle

BUMP

Blondee512

Good point! My sister used mineral oil and never tore or needed an epis...

Quoting jiara1:

I ended up with a CSection...but a girlfriend had me rubbing olive oil "down there" at least daily.  Someone told her to do this before giving birth to avoid the episiotomy and it worked for her both times!  I was doing all the preparation, just didn't get all the way!

Good Luck!

Carolbrady100
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:38 PM

I had all three of mine natural and to be honest with you it was a relief when they cut me. It burns so bad that you want them to cut it (sorry TMI) You dont feel it much after either, I think your just kind of sore all over. That part of the body heals very quickly too.

chairhead28
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:38 PM

You can ask to not have one and tare if you need to. I didn't have one or tare with my son...you heal faster if you tare.

hillary_rose
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:40 PM

I had one because it was that or a c-section. I had medication so during I didn't feel anything but after it hurt pretty bad. It really hurt to sit. I sat on the boppy pillow a lot that helped.

mommysasha1988
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:41 PM

I had an epidural because they wanted me to have a c-section from his heart dropping so I didn't feel mine at the time.  BUT afterwards it hurt like hell.  They didn't tell me they were going to cut, didn't ask, nothing.  Just did it.  I'm 11 days post-partum & it still hurts.  I hate to cough or sneeze, lol.  BUT it may hurt less for you.  Good luck.  I'd rather be cut than tear IMO.  Tearing can be BAD because you never know how it's going to tear, a zig-zag or straight or what.

I'm a non-married, epidural birthing, breast-milk bottle feeding, co-sleeping, vaccinating, non-circumsizing, public schooling, disposable diapering kinda mom.  I'm pro-choice, democratic, athiest, and all for world peace.  I support gay rights, I'm not racist, & I believe we were all created equal.  So, now that we got that outta the way...it's nice to meet you!
"We should really love each other in peace and harmony, instead we're fussin' and fightin' like we ain't supposed to be." - Bob Marley
"Life is tough enough without having someone kick you from the inside." - Rita Rudner
Trying to lose weight?  Already lost it?
Come join
Moms Helping Moms Lose Weight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)