Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

driving in bad weather/road conditions

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:39 PM
  • 8 Replies

So we got snow over the weekend and it's been so cold that the roads iced over. The main roads are fine but the roads in my residential area are not. I have an appointment with my gyno for my 8-9 weeks pregnancy appointment on Wednesday but I've heard the weather is supposed to get worse. This is my first appointment since finding out I was pregnant. The hospital is only a mile away but I've had bad experience with driving on icy roads and I'm being a baby about leaving the house and venturing out in the car. Should I just suck it up? It's just a mile away?

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
momoftwins96
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:44 PM

OMG I totally understand what you mean. I am from CA been here for 5 years and every winter I am scared shitless to drive on icy roads. Twice I have slid right through stop signs and once almost a red light. It is really dangerous...I dont know I would wait and see how bad it is and if it is bad reschedule, it isnt worth it.

Katy_Lentz

Um if the roads are bad and you aren't very good at driving on them then the obvious answer is NO. Call and reschedule. Good luck

Kristjansmama

Well, I just drove a 10 mile round trip this morning in -40 below wind chill with a foot of snow on the ground because I had to go to work.  I had to bring my 3 yr. old out in the car to get him to daycare.....so I guess if it was me I d suck it up.  However, because of where I live, I m used to driving in it all winter long.  I guess if you are inexperienced in winter driving, perhaps reschedule...no sense stressing yourself out over an appointment that can be rescheduled.

charmelin
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Well, when I had a bad experience with icy roads it was during an ice storm and I had a rear wheel drive car. I had to drive in what normally would be a 4 hour drive but ended up taking all afternoon and evening...and then I spent the night at the halfway point and still drove for another 3 hours the next day. I now have an awd car but haven't driven on icy roads since my experience several years ago. So I just don't know. I think if it gets worse I am staying here and rescheduling my appointment. I was really looking forward to it though. Hearing the heartbeat and everything.

Kristjansmama
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:01 PM

In that case I d say reschedule....or perhaps get someone whose driving you trust to take you?

Quoting charmelin:

Well, when I had a bad experience with icy roads it was during an ice storm and I had a rear wheel drive car. I had to drive in what normally would be a 4 hour drive but ended up taking all afternoon and evening...and then I spent the night at the halfway point and still drove for another 3 hours the next day. I now have an awd car but haven't driven on icy roads since my experience several years ago. So I just don't know. I think if it gets worse I am staying here and rescheduling my appointment. I was really looking forward to it though. Hearing the heartbeat and everything.

jodyann2
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:05 PM

where do you live?

charmelin
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Washington

charmelin
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:12 PM

no my husbands out of town.

Quoting Kristjansmama:

In that case I d say reschedule....or perhaps get someone whose driving you trust to take you?

Quoting charmelin:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)