Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Online colleges....

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:22 PM
  • 11 Replies

Right now, I am in the process of getting my associates in criminal justice through Ashworth university. Its an online school, and I went to do my semester exam tonight, and I came to it, like is this really worth it?? Your able to use your note, study guide, and text book to do the exam, and I feel there is no challenge in that at all, and personally I love a challenge. Now reason why I write this, i want to know is there truely someone who is doing the same as I am, or actually has done it, and is actually making a career from it???

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:59 PM

An education is always a good thing.  I went to a traditional style University and had several professors who let us use notes, books, etc.  The idea was that in the real world, you'll have access to these is more useful to be able to use the material available to you than it is to just memorize crap.  You should find out if this college is accredited.  I know that the University of Phoenix is very accredited and they do primarily online classes, etc.

by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 12:04 AM

More and more people are hiring graduates from online school. I think its great. Education is education! The more the better. I had AMAZING professors!!!! They were criminal profilers, Detectives, scientists and so on.

If you want more of a challenge then don't use your notes and books.

by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 4:28 AM

I am going to a regular college but taking online courses.  It is cheaper this way and they are obvioiusly acredited.  My instructors rarely have finals or midterms.  Most of the time it is a test each week over the material we learned and it is open book.

Mom to four: Nicholas 16, Leanna 14, Christopher 12 and Xavier born 10/3/08 (my little miralce tubal reversal baby).

I am an attachment parenting mama.  What that means is I am a co-sleeping, breastfeeding, sling wearing and basically never put baby down mama!  And I love every minute of it!
breastfeedingbaby in sling

by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 4:40 AM

i did not take the criminal justice one but i went for medical transcription and i have successfully completed it. I can say that i have a very GREAT job right now working from home, for a lot of money!!!!! I love online school!!!! i went to Penn Foster though.

by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 8:22 AM

school is school. my  DH went to devry online for his bachlors and is pursuing his mastors at the university of pheonix.   i however am going to capella. they are all accredited. when i went to a tech shcool to pursue my associates degree my teacher let us use our notes during test time. he too said he doesnt want us memorizing a bunch of stuff he wants us to really learn it. a company would rather you know the basics and how to find the answer than just memorizing a bunch of stuff.

by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 8:38 AM

It depends on the school and the instructor teaching the course.  Some require exams to be proctored and it would be without notes etc...  I don't know if this is your first semester or not but not all your exams may be that way.  Some might be projects which definately relate to real world experience.  Think of Criminal Justice as profession where much of your job will be research and writing/answering from that so you are getting real world experience. 

by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 11:51 AM

I got my ASBA online and at first I thought the same thing but then I made my challenge more difficult for me... My goal was to not only get the degree but to get it with a GPA of 4.0 and I did just that and got On the National Dean's List as well.  It was the only way I could do it with 4 kids at home and I was running my in-home daycare at that time.  I promised my parents long ago I would be there only child to earn a degree and they had both passed just a few years before I decided to keep my promise to them.  For me it was more of a personal thing than anything else but I am glad I did it no matter what! Banner Banner
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 9:39 PM

I finished my BS online and once I received my work did give me a promotion they promised. A degree is a degree. I still had to work very hard to achieve it. It was homework every night for me for 2 years. Plus, so many people are taking courses online these days that it seems to be becoming the norm.

by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 9:47 PM

I think online courses are a great option and take more then half of my courses online through a local community college.

My only bit of advice is to do your homework. When I first started thinking about going back to school I googled U of Phoenix and read ALOT about other colleges not accepting Phoenix degrees for transfer, employers not considering a degree from Phoenix as acceptable, etc. I don't know how true any of this is, but considering I want to transfer next fall/spring to a traditional 4 year college and then go to law school, I wasn't willing to take the chance.

Also there are many 'degree mills' out there that will give anyone with enough money a degree to watch out for.

I think it's great that you are trying to further your education. If you have a specific career goal in mind, try checking into that. Call around and ask if the employers you would be looking to work with would accept that degree, check online for issues with the school, etc.etc.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 9:52 PM

At the online school that I went to our tests were timed so you really didnt have time to look anything up and use your notes and books.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)