Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

warning!

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:36 PM
  • 14 Replies
So just a quick warning for everyone. So tonight we were cooking dinner, and all of a sudden I heard an alarm. I thought it was the smoke detector, since ours is really sensitive and sometimes goes off when we're cooking, but it was the carbon monoxide detector. So of course my husband tells me it's nothing, and it's just the battery, but I was nervous, so I called the fire dept just to be sure. When they came, they said we did have a reading of gas in the house. They asked if I was cooking, and I said just soup. So they said that the reading seems high for just soup. So they snooped around my apartment, and off of the living room we have patio doors that we covered with this plastic seal thing that you blow dry - it's supposed to keep the draft out. Anyway, they told us it was really dangerous because we weren't getting any ventilation. My husband took it down. So just a warning to everyone. Also if you haven't checked the batteries in your detectors in a while, now is a good time to do so:)
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
athome4now
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Glad you guys are ok!  Thanks for the warning...scary!

latinmommy18
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:41 PM

omg thats crazy

Mom2SKMB
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:47 PM

Thanks for the warning.  I just bought some of that stuff, guess I will take it back.

Thanks!

RGladson
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 12:04 AM
Thanks for the reminder!
Mommymo08
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 12:30 PM

We were thinking abotu doing the plastic cause our house is drafty so I have a ???  The CO2 can get out through the glass but not the plastic?  I just want to be safe!!

roxle
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 6:02 PM
wow! thank you! I am glad you ignored your husband and called the fire department... that is what the detectors are for!
rmally
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 8:03 PM

well the way ours worked is that the plastic covered the entire door frame (that's how the draft stayed out) - so basically the plastic covered part of the wall around the doors as well, so NO air was getting in or out

Quoting Mommymo08:

We were thinking abotu doing the plastic cause our house is drafty so I have a ???  The CO2 can get out through the glass but not the plastic?  I just want to be safe!!

rmally
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 8:04 PM

haha - yeah sometimes men are dumb:)

Quoting roxle:

wow! thank you! I am glad you ignored your husband and called the fire department... that is what the detectors are for!

mammak
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 8:09 PM

OMG Im so  glad you guys had an alarm! Im glad you are safe!

cmjrsj
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Wow... we were going to get those too.... thanks!  Now I definately won't!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)