Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Driving on snow/ice advice

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:15 AM
  • 9 Replies

We moved to NE in the fall of last year but this is the first year I'm going really going to do alot of driving. Last year I drove like 4 times. I'm from FL. This year my son is in school so I will have to be driving him to and from school. It was our first snow today and I had a little scare. I drove him to school slowly and it was uneventful. Couldn't make it up the hill after I dropped my son off. Thankfully I was able to flagged down a nice gentlemen who helped turn my car around. I took the long way home, it was still icy though. When dh got home...he told me that he's gonna go get us some snow tires...maybe that would help. He went to the tire store and the guy there said our tires were fine and getting snow tires would just be us throwing our money away. Of course when he came home without snow tires I was miffed. So I'm a little scared to drive now but I have to do it. Ah..

So any advice on driving on snowy icy road?

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
candygirl1030
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:22 AM

If you start sliding on ice or snow DO NOT step on the brakes- try not to panic and shift into a lower gear (2, then 1).  I live in upstate NY and we get a lot of snow and have lots of deer running around all year so I know how scarey driving in the snow can be.  Please be sure to put some sand or kitty litter, small shovel, warm blanket, a flashlight, some bottled water, and a few snacks in your trunk just in case you got stuck (I have never had to use these things).  I always make sure that I take my cell with me and put in my bluetooth before I start driving because it is hands free with voice command.  Not trying to scare you at all, just drive slow and smart- being proactive about snow driving is the key.  And I would suggest if you think it is too bad out too drive (even your son to school) keep him home and stay indoors.  Always better to be safe.

steph2884
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:24 AM

Driving up hills and down hills when it is snowing or icy is tricky, even if you are experienced. I lived in Ohio for 21 years, so I had my share of snowy driving. I would avoid certain hills, but when I lived I had to drive down one hill and up one hill (stupid river valleys...)  I would have to cross an intersection to start going up the hill. So I would have to accelerate slowly to prevent spinning out, but I would have to get up to enough speed to make it up the hill. No one can really tell you how to drive in snow, you just have to get out there and do it. Next time it snows take your car out to an empty parking lot and get a feel for it. The only way you'll learn well is to do it yourself. Also, don't slam on the breaks... that's the worst thing you can do. Gently apply pressure to the breaks to stop, adjusting pressure for distance. If you have a car that doesn't have anti-lock breaks (usually older cars, like mine) pump the breaks in the snow to stop.

charmelin
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:30 AM

I know how you feel! I've been stuck at my house since Sunday because I've been too afraid to drive in the snow. I have a dr appt tomorrow that I'm going to try to go to. Luckily it's only a mile drive.

cmjrsj
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:27 AM

oh, and if you do start sliding out of control, like a pp said, do not hit the breaks! AND steer the OPPOSITE direction the car is going!  And go slow!  And when you slow down or stop, do it very slow and way in advance!

littlejreece
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:36 AM

Fantastic advice, candygirl!! I couldn't have said it better myself. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and while our winters are not nearly as harsh as North Eastern states, when we get snow, it can be pretty hairy! I am definitely one of those people who has all kinds of things stashed in my car--drives my hubby nuts, but I would rather have an extra blanket, change of clothes, water bottles, food (I keep granola bars and beef jerky in my glove box), etc. just in case. Like candygirl said, it is always better to HAVE it and not NEED it than the other way around!

When I first moved to Seattle from sunny southern California ten years ago (where a really cold winter meant below 60 degrees-brrr), my brother took me to an empty parking lot during our first big winter snow storm. He helped me to practice accelerating, braking, and intentionally put myself into a slide so that I would learn how to get out of one if I was driving *for real*. I strongly recommend doing this--someone telling you how to do it will only get you so far. Practice makes perfect, as they say. Good luck, and I hope you have a safe and happy winter!!

Quoting candygirl1030:

If you start sliding on ice or snow DO NOT step on the brakes- try not to panic and shift into a lower gear (2, then 1). I live in upstate NY and we get a lot of snow and have lots of deer running around all year so I know how scarey driving in the snow can be. Please be sure to put some sand or kitty litter, small shovel, warm blanket, a flashlight, some bottled water, and a few snacks in your trunk just in case you got stuck (I have never had to use these things). I always make sure that I take my cell with me and put in my bluetooth before I start driving because it is hands free with voice command. Not trying to scare you at all, just drive slow and smart- being proactive about snow driving is the key. And I would suggest if you think it is too bad out too drive (even your son to school) keep him home and stay indoors. Always better to be safe.

rachana
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Thanks for the advice ladies. Today the roads were a little better. I took the long way home very slowly. Still a little scare but I gotta man up.

mrssgtbrewer
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 3:00 PM

When going into a slick corner, break before the corner and just coast around the corner. If you break while trying to make the corner you chances of locking up your tires in a slide are much higher.

angieluv
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 3:06 PM

My advice is DONT! I wouldnt want to risk the lives of my children. Watch the weather and do what you need done before the weather hits. If it means your son missing school and thats the worse of it then your doing pretty good! I absolutly refuse to drive after an ice storm. Now snow, its eaiser to drive on snow but still not safe. And if NE is anything like TX, people forget how to drive anytime it rains,more or less snows! I'll never understand why people put them selves at risk to drive on ice or ice/snow mix. There was just a 24 car pile up over in my area. I absolutly will not chance it! Thats just my opinion!

JESUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON!!

wreath

idahospaz
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 4:06 PM

http://www.weather.com/activities/driving/drivingsafety/drivingsafetytips/snow.html

Also, for all you trunk pack-rats like me; please add a candle to your stash.  If your car becomes disabled, a candle can keep you warmer than you think. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)