Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

:-(

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:03 AM
  • 9 Replies

My dh just went to apply for WIC for us. I never thought we would have to go there but with my disability check cut off last month and my dh overtime cut at the same time, we have no choice. I know its there for this type of situation but i just want to cry. I only had to go on assistance for 3 months many yrs ago when i was put in a battered womens program when i escaped my ex. I got off the system as soon as i could even though they said i could stay on for a yr. Im just sad that the economy has fallen this badly that hard working people have to ask for help. : '-(

10 month old son& 25 wks pregnantbaby 1stholidayexpecting girl

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
hollie0705
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Don't feel bad! That is what the system is there for, people that truly need it! At least you feel you truely need it & not just using the system which a lot of people do! Just know that in time you will get back on your feet & you can go off of it again! Don't feel ashamed!

adahmama
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Here's a bump and a ((((hug)))))...I'm on WIC and proud of it. My DD will not suffer at the hands of this crazy economy, I pray!! Bless you.

Christy644
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:20 AM

My household went from over 6k a month to 1600 a month. we pay out 780 in CS. rent is 695

Yeah do the math. Suck. We applied for food stamps. It sucked to have to do it, but we paid taxes long enough that it's time we get some of it back.

I hope things get better for everybody real soon.

jnick82
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:21 AM

There is no shame in asking for help when you need it. I am a single mom and I need the help. There was a time that it embarassed me to admit it  but now I work full time and am going to school full time so I can better myself and I wouldn't be able to make it financially without the help. Never be too proud to get what you need for your children. Not all people on assistance are freeloaders

happyJennifer

dosthepost
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Don't feel bad. I have to have WIC for formula ONLY. When she's off formula we're dropping the WIC. You need help, and there's no shame in that.

sgilbert211
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Quoting adahmama:

Here's a bump and a ((((hug)))))...I'm on WIC and proud of it. My DD will not suffer at the hands of this crazy economy, I pray!! Bless you.

AGREED!! My son is to old for WIC so atleast my DD gets what she needs. At one point she was on formula that was $40 per can and without WIC there was no way we could have afforded it. She is now on Lactaid which is $4 per half gallon. Thank god for WIC. My husband makes a good living but sometimes we all need a little help!

jenerica
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:49 AM

I understand why you feel this way...here's you a big

(((((((((hug))))))))))

You'll get back on your feet again.

luvmycherubs
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Hunny don't feel bad. I had WIC with both of my daughters. With my first one the military just flat out didn't pay us enough and I tried to work but was unable to do to an injury at the time. I was also on food stamps with my second because I was going to college and even though I was working I wasn't bringing in enough money. I am no longer on the programs. Thankfully I had some good fortune and a good job come my way. Times like these are what the programs are there for. Try looking at it this way....for all that time that you WERE NOT on the programs your tax dollars went into those funds. Try thinking about it kind of like a savings account. You put that money in for a rainy day and now that you have a rainy day you are making a withdrawl. If that doesn't help try looking at it this way. Yes, you are on programs funded by the tax dollars of those that make too much to qualify. BUT....when you get off the programs you will be paying into them again and taking your turn in helping somebody that is now having the hard times that you were. That is what helped me swallow my pride when it came to this.

krissybear2003
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:02 AM

don't feel bad about it, the system is there to help those that need it....it is sad that hard working people need the help, I work my butt off at work and still struggle to make ends meet, but what makes me more sad and I don't know if it's everywhere, but I know where I live, the majority of people I see on public assistance have like 6 kids by multiple people, don't even try to work, and most of their husbands or boyfriends are drug dealers, and they get all this help, but I work fulltime, and have to fight to get assistance.......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)