Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have some things to get off my chest! Please dont take it the wrong way!

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:25 AM
  • 12 Replies

Do you remember when we were children and our parents used to tell us that having presents is not the meaing of x-mas? I never believed them. I thought x-mas was meant for toys. But now as a mother and all grown up I now know that presents is not the meaning of x-mas. I know times are really tough. I'm  26, single mother of a 15 month boy. I work as a waitress and i only work 26 hours a week. And I have a morgage and tons of bills and a piece of crap car. But you know even with those 26 hours a week I'm still able to provide everything i need for my child. And him having diapers and food on the table and a warm home to come to is more important to me then a x-mas gift. Theres people on here that are depressed that they couldnt get the coolest toy on the block for there kid. I do understand you feel bad but x-mas isnt about that. It's  about family! It's one of the few times out of the year everyone gets together. Be thankful for everything you have. be thankful to wake up in a counrty where no one is bombing one another. just be thankful for waking up and seeing your children healthy and well. We are all so used to being able to get ourselfs everything and tons of gifts. And then bam economy takes a hit. It should make u see what everything is really about. Sorry this is so long i just need to let out my opinion

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:29 AM

i'm with you on that one.  i work 3 jobs which still doesn't equal up to 40 hours a week.  we struggle everyday, but we get by.  it just upsets me when people are more worried about toys then anything else.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:31 AM

I could not agree with you more!  I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:32 AM

I'm with ya too. My kids arent' getting much at all. Instead we are going to church, then sledding. We have Christmas dinner with my ex in laws. (we are still very close) My kids will ahve dinner with all 4 parents together. That means the world to them. Not all families can pull that off. LOL

I understand people are hurting this year. I'm there too.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:38 AM

I am a SAHM, who has been looking for work, but no one seems to be biting on my resumes/applications. Our DD wasn't going to be getting much, so I told my fiance that we will not get ANYTHING for each other for Christmas and just get her a few extra things. I didn't think twice, because my DD's Christmas is more important to me.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:46 AM

I agree with you, but the thing is now we have kids just like we were, they want things, some not as much as others but kids still want to be able to open gifts on Christmas morning and then go back to school and tell their friends about all they got. Yea the economy is bad, and people cant afford a lot of things, I made my kids put down 3 things a piece, I am going to try my damndest to get those 3 gifts a piece, They will also be getting gifts from other family members so i figure 3 gifts are enough.I feel for the people that cant afford gifts for their kids, my heart goes out to these people, I don't blame anyone who tries to get help with their Christmas, you're right times are hard and if someone didn't need it, I don't think they would ask. i wish people could buy for their own, but sometimes things happen and they do need help. I would rather they ask for help than let their kids do without, it's not the kids fault. I'm not bashing or trying to get anything started, but I know that people feel bad when they HAVE to ask for help.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:50 AM

I agree!! Growing up, what I remember most are the traditions and time spent together more than the presents!! I grew up in a very 'comfortable' family and always got what I wanted and then some, but I always knew presents wasn't the meaning of Christmas!! It breaks my heart to see moms beating themselves up over something that doesn't even compare to the real meaning of this holiday!

Merry Christmas Everyone:)

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:53 AM

The economy stinks. We are all in a bind this year, we did alot of sending email cards and plan on making a bunch of phone calls on the holiday. We get to have a dinner on the 21 with friends and we also get to have one on the 25 th with family. I saw a "Jesse Tree" at walmart and was upset because almost all of the gift requests on there were for crap like ipods and wii and stuff like that. My daughter is getting a barbie and a book and my baby is getting a bear and a book. Why would people think that they can ask for that stuff from strangers for their kids. I did however find one that asked for diapers, and one that asked for a barbie and another that asked for a shirt and another that asked for a tea set. My girlfriends and I were there getting groceries and the gifts for our children and each one of us felt blessed to be giving back in what we could for those that didn't have anything. It must be hard to not be able to get diapers for your baby. I feel like we all get to do what we need and want to do. Why does it have to be about gifts? I am teaching my 3 year old that it is about giving, no matter what you give. It's about being kind and loving people. She asked, cause she is into birthdays this year when I explained that this is Jesus' birthday she asked if the tree was like a "candy-ata" and if the presents we buy were for him. I told her to give herself, to love her family and friends, be kind to your sister and say "Merry Christmas" to everyone and that is what he wants. She tells everyone merry christmas now, even her dolls.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:55 AM

You're right christmas isn't about gifts, but, I did jon one of the groups to try to help get gifts for my 3 girls, and it's not because I couldnt get them the best gift, it was because without help, they wouldn't have had any gifts under the tree........I'm very thankful that I have 3 healthy beautiful little girls, and that we have a home, and heat and food on the table, and family to spend time with during christmas, but we've had a christmas without presents on christmas morning before, and I don't think I could take the looks they had on their faces that morning again.......I feel that no christmas isn't about gifts, but as a child, to have to hear about and see everything that all their friends got from santa, and feel like santa forgot about them, I try to think about what thats like for a child too

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:03 AM

im not saying u cant have presents for you children. I bought my son a few things. I was just saying that people are stressing out because they cant get everything there kids want.  And its not about how many or how cool the gifts are. its about love and family. Thats all i was saying

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:03 AM

i agree with you 100%, i wrote on my journal about this very thing the other day... its the spirit of the season, and as i was growing up, i didnt really ever have to worry, some years were great, some werent in regards to toys, but when i was a bit older, about 7plus years old, I loved the holidays because it meant that i would see my family, the family members that we only saw once or twice a year, so it was great.  Now as an adult, I remember the simple things about the holidays... not the toys i got, or the things that i go... just being with my family is what its all about.  And I hope that i do the same for our son.. we want him to learn that Christmas just isnt about toys.. thank you for your message... i just hope that others recieve it... Merry Christmas to you and yours

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)