Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

working moms w/ kids that are of school age!

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:16 PM
  • 7 Replies

my son is only one, so i still have some time before i have to deal with this issue. but what do people do if they have a young child(since an older child can start to take care of themselves) that goes to school, and they have a full time job? working 8-5 and your kid goes to school later than 8 and gets out earlier than 5. HOW DOES THAT WORK? and what about during the summer time? What happens then? I've been wondering this for a while? and especially single parents...I'm a single parent...that's why i'm so concerned.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tiffanysgirls
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:19 PM
There are a lot of SAHM who watch kids for a couple hours after school or during the summer time. Ask your friends or coworkers if they know of anybody. Some people even hire high school aged kids for summer. (Make sure they have good references and are trustworthy). My BFF found a SAHM to pick her kids up from school and watch them everyday for 2 hours until she gets done with work. She pays $50 a week. But....she also has 3 kids.
texm0m0f4
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:19 PM

My sister uses before and after school care. Some schools offer it.

I'm PRO CHOICE,SAHM, NO CIO, Bottle using, vaxing, public school, non-spanking, circumcising, front facing carseat, junk food eating, debt free, gun using, NOT VOTING, Smoking SORTA MOM..I don't support the war..Its just who I am.. Get over it...
vivalaham
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:22 PM

there are daycares for older children as well. i know at my elementary school that I went to back in the day (lol) there was an after school group thing where the kids of working parents went until their parents came to pick them up. they just hung out there, played games, had a snack, whatever. maybe find an elementary school with something like that. or i know daycares, there's certain programs where the kid gets on a bus after school and goes to the daycare and you pick the child up there.

and maybe get a nanny for over the summer.

jnick82
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:23 PM

My daycare buses my daughter to and from school and during the sumer she just stays in daycare. I pay a higher fee during the summer and like 1/3 of the normal rate during the school year

LilMama313
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:24 PM

With help and support of friends and family. If I did nto have the help and supprot from one or the other, which sometimes I don't, then it would be impossible. that is the best advice I can give you. It is harder on single moms, like us, especially if your not in any sort of relationship and even when you are if ti is nto their daddy then you can not expect them to take care of your children unless it is a serious relationship and even then you can not always depend on them. if you have good friends and family that you can at least count on to help you with your child then you will be fine.

wvmom3320
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:26 PM

I work 9 to 5.  My dd goes to school at 8:30 - 3:15. I drop off on my way to work and even volunteer for am car duty (for drop offs). After school my dd goes to after school program ran by the county board of education. She is able to be there until 6 pm. I pick up at 5:30 because it is a great program and they have "classes" for the kids which are fun and they ask you to pick up in between classes.

On snow days she comes to work with me. Many parents do use child care in day cares etc for snow days and vacation days. This is usually the same sitter or child care they use in the summer months.

Two hr delays are little bit harder. On those days I stay home with her until time for school to start then I drop off at school and come to work.

In the summer she goes to a few different summer day camp programs and spents some time with her grandparents. She did come to work with me for about 2 weeks this summer. She loves that.

Familytyme
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Most schools offer before and after care programs for very little $$.  I was a single mom for most of my daughters life and had to deal with this many times.  Now she is finally old enough that she will be fine by herself for an hour in the afternoon before I get home, and she rides her bike to the bus stop on the morning that I have to leave before she does.  I also have a great relatioship with my neighbors, so they all know to look out for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)