Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

santa only comes if your good right? What if you are not being so good? PIOG

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:35 PM
  • 35 Replies

My dd is 7 and I love her! She is wonderful kid but this year she is flaking out in school. I am not sure what is going on and we have tried everything. She wont do her work at school and what she does at home she wont turn in. Just plain irresponsible. We have tried everything. The teacher keeps her in at recess - she still doesnt do it or she will write down the same answer for every problem. She has to redo stuff she brings home with bad grades. She has been grounded from everything and given many firm talkings. I am at my wits end with her. She honestly is a really well behaved kid and never ever had any trouble in school before. She lies to me and the teacher about her work and now hides the bad grades to avoid punishment. I also tried rewards for hard work but she doesnt care.

Last night she told me that she just doesnt care about school. IDK what to do anymore. This morning I walked her in to make sure she turned in last nights assignment and I find many papers in her desk incomplete. They had a field trip this morning so instead of going on the field trip she came to my office to complete her work and then I took her back to school.  She is grounede for 2 weeks . And that covers Christmas. THing is grounded means no tv, computer etc. She is getting a wii. Shall I make her wait to play with it?

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KimG1028
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Yes...you should make her wait to play with it.  Maybe that will give her a little incentive...

Sorry you are going through that...does she say why she's not interested in school?  Maybe she needs a different teacher.

vegepunkstr
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:39 PM

I wouldn't give her any presents until she can show you that she is at least putting a real effort into her school work.

Photobucket
wvmom3320
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:40 PM

I have really been considering that but she goes to a small school so I would need to change schools completely but I am thinking about doing that.

Quoting KimG1028:

Yes...you should make her wait to play with it.  Maybe that will give her a little incentive...

Sorry you are going through that...does she say why she's not interested in school?  Maybe she needs a different teacher.

ashleykilleen
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:43 PM

i wouldnt give her the wii, i would wait untill punishment is over to let her have it.

has there been a big change in her life?? Has someone passed away or something kids dont normaly act out unless  some thing has chnaged . Good luck to you momma!! i realy hpe things get better!!!

-ash

ttc

vivalaham
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:45 PM

I would tell her she's grounded for 2 weeks and christmas is included. so that means NO PRESENTS! i wouldn't let her open any presents. tell her you took all the presents from santa and you wont let her open them until she shows a little more effort in her school work.

ben127
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:50 PM

i can understand the ladies say no presents but i would say yes she gets to open them but they get to stay under the christmas tree and no playing with. that way there might be a little more incentive to get the work done.

KimG1028
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:51 PM

She's 7...so she's in what.....2nd grade?  She should be loving school...so I wonder if there's something happening in her class...with a classmate...or just  no chemistry with the teacher...I know you said it's a small school...you'd have to change schools...have you talked to her teacher?  Talk to your daughter..find out what would help her enjoy school more...maybe she's having difficulty in a subject...I feel bad for her. 

I disagree with some other moms in here saying to hold back on her Christmas gifts....I'd still give her the gifts...but wouldn't let her play with any of the toys until her 2 week grounding is over...and I would let her know that she needs to show some improvement in her schoolwork or she's going to be grounded again... 

Talking to her and the teacher...and maybe sitting in on a class if you can...maybe that might help...if it won't embarrass your daughter..

livsmama1003
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:53 PM

do you think something could have happened at school that she's not telling you about? why would she hate it all of a sudden?

mimi718
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:55 PM

I agree let her open them and don't even let her take it our the box. Or better yet take it out the box and give her an empty box and tell her she will get a piece a week when she starts improving in school. Like one week give her the game, the next week the remote, then little things then when you think she is ready give her the system.

Quoting KimG1028:

She's 7...so she's in what.....2nd grade?  She should be loving school...so I wonder if there's something happening in her class...with a classmate...or just  no chemistry with the teacher...I know you said it's a small school...you'd have to change schools...have you talked to her teacher?  Talk to your daughter..find out what would help her enjoy school more...maybe she's having difficulty in a subject...I feel bad for her. 

I disagree with some other moms in here saying to hold back on her Christmas gifts....I'd still give her the gifts...but wouldn't let her play with any of the toys until her 2 week grounding is over...and I would let her know that she needs to show some improvement in her schoolwork or she's going to be grounded again... 

Talking to her and the teacher...and maybe sitting in on a class if you can...maybe that might help...if it won't embarrass your daughter..

Children seldom misquote.  In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.  ~Author Unknown

housewife77
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Does the school have a counselor? I just think somethings not right for her to say she doesnt like school at such a young age. She might have other problems with school such as with the teacher or the other children.I would suggest talking to her and if she doesnt  open up to you try a counselor. I just think you should  try to find out what the problem is before you do all the punishing, her lack of interest in school may be a cry for help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)