Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Running a fever with a newborn...should I be worried?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:12 PM
  • 10 Replies

All day today I have felt really sick.I know the typical cold is going around right now.But,I started feeling worse I am running a fever right now.

My husband works all day and I am at home taking care of our 6 weeks old son.Now should I be worried about me being sick around him with him being so young?

If so what should I do?

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4LifeTupperware
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Make sure you wash your hands alot before touching baby, if you are not BF then before you make a bottle.

If you are BF'ing your little one might not get sick at all.

Just keep an eye on baby, and baby should always be taken to the doctor or the ER if they have a fever!!!!!

wreath   baby 1stholiday christmas treeholding ornaments

Melanie, Wife for 14 years and a Mom, to 13 year old daughter, 10 year old son, 3 year old son, 10 month old son and two angel babies that would also be 10 months old, and two angel babies we lost early on in there tiny life's. Co-Mama to a little Girl that lives in Kenya, and Tupperware Consultant!   "Only one life, will soon be passed, only what's done for Christ will last."          

Mama2JoshKatie
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:19 PM

You should call your babies doctor and ask them, but I can tell you what my experience was. When my daughter was 2 weeks old I got sick, I had a fever and everything, and I was EBF her so I couldn't just hand her off to someone else to take care of. I was told my milk would provide the immunities my baby needed and she wouldn't get sick, so I kept nursing and she never got sick. I would still seek some medical advice, but that was my own personal experience.

pd4now82
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:48 PM

I agree with previous posters --- wash, wash, wash!   And if in doubt, talk to the pediatrician, they might have more assurances or tips to help too :-)

busybee911
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:35 PM
I agree wash your hands as much as possible. Use diluted bleach and spray doun parts of your houuse that you regularly come in contact with. Also IF your baby gets sick, a rectal temp of 100.5 in a baby younger than 12 weeks is reason for medical attention. Good luck. I hope you feel better.
rmally
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 11:51 PM

i also had a fever - dr said ok to breastfeed as long as i wasnt vomiting, and to try to have other ppl handle him, but if i had to burp him or change him, i wore a bandana over my mouth and nose (like in western movies) just to be sure - thank Gd he was fine - feel better!

marlees_mama
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Read the paperwork from the hospital [depending on how old your baby is]. If you just had the baby, then it says if you run a temp of 101 or higher with chills, etc. Then go to the ER immediately. You could have a UTI, it's not uncommon with women who just had babies. Seriously, don't wait you could get REALLY sick, and all they need to do is give you antibiotics. Oooh, and if they tell you you can't take the meds while BF [if you are] don't listen to them. MAKE SURE, because they gave me Caphalexin [sp?] I think it was, and told me not to BF for ten days, I called other doctors and pharmacies and they al said it was fine and that if the ER doctor isn't sure, they'll just tell you not to just to be safe. lol I was like great so they're basically saying "Here, I don't exactly know what this medicine does, buuuut, go for it!!" haha Aanyway, yeah. I'd go to the doctor as soon as your husband gets off work. :D

Ooh, I just reread the post, haha if your baby is six weeks, it MAY not be the UTI, but it still could be. I'd at least call the doctor just to make sure. Because it still could be. GOod luck, mama!!

Quoting PREGO112208:

All day today I have felt really sick.I know the typical cold is going around right now.But,I started feeling worse I am running a fever right now.

My husband works all day and I am at home taking care of our 6 weeks old son.Now should I be worried about me being sick around him with him being so young?

If so what should I do?

Lovin' my life, as a Mama and Proud Army Wife!!

Katrina_42
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 11:23 AM

im not feeling so good either today. so i called my mom over to help. im just scared in touching him to get him sick. But all im doing is washing my hands and taking over the counter meds to try and kick this cold in the butt. So far my baby seems fine not sick. just being a pain. lol

hotmom40ish
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Hi PREGO112208

Poor thing!! I can imagine how hard it is to take care of the baby while feeling so puny! If you are breastfeeding I really wouldn't worry about it. But if not like the others say WASH constantly. May also get some hand sanitizer. Also put a capful of vinegar (white or brown) in your dish water. It is a natural antibiotic and antiviral.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon. It would suck to be sick for the holidays! Merry Christmas and have a safe and Happy New Year.

Rebecca

mommy2bunny
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 6:45 PM

Keep your hands clean by washing in warm water with soap for at least 20 seconds.  Do your best to stay out of his face.  Go to your local all natural/organic store and buy some liquid vitamin C for your DS.  They make this for babies and children.  It's not as strong as adult vitamin C.  It's completely safe and non-toxic.  Whatever your body does not use, you just pee it out.  This will help protect his immune system.  My DD was about this old this time last year and everyone was sick around her.  I protected her with the liquid vitamin C and she never got sick.  It's not medicating the baby.  I currently babysit and these 2 kids get sick a lot.  So I give my DD vitamin C and she never gets whatever they have.  You should increase your vitamin C intake to 20,000 mg (i think it's 'mg').  Good luck and I hope you feel better!

JulezMommy1
by on Dec. 20, 2008 at 6:26 AM

wash your hands alot and wear a doctors mask or something so you dont breath on her. Breastfeeding is the best thing to help your baby not get sick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)