Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 hour glucose test

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:51 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have to go for a 3 hour glucose test at 1pm tomorrow. I already know that I have to drink the nasty stuff and have blood drawn. My question in how long do I have to fast for before hand. I have an ultrasound at 8:30 so I'm going to be hungry all day. Do I have to fast after midnight or what do I do?

Need a personalized poem? Join my group and request your own today...

http://www.cafemom.com/group/personalizedpoetry

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KimG1028
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Yes, nothing to eat or drink (other than water) after midnight...

tanya_marieh
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:53 PM
I believe they told me 6 oclock the night before when i had my first 3 hour that time
lovinmyfam4
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:53 PM

your doc didnt tell you? i know for the one hour you cant eat after midnight but i didnt have to do the 3 hr one..:( good luck!

dahlimama07
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:56 PM

you can drink water but not to much.  Oh, if you get sick easy this juice may make you feel nauseas(sp?).  I made it through the test almost I threwup right before the last blood draw luckily I didn't ahve to redo it.  Good luck.  Oh, if you are still not sure about when to not eat and drink (that means gum chewing also) I would check with the doc.  Some places tell you 12 hours before test.  If anything eat a small dinner then get up at 11:30 pm and make your self a big meal and your fav drink.

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/dahlimama07
FruitfulReward
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:58 PM

I didn't eat anything after midnight when I went in for my test. 

LadyFelicity
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:03 PM

really? i wasnt told anything for my 1hr. i had breakfast that morning and everything.

Quoting lovinmyfam4:

your doc didnt tell you? i know for the one hour you cant eat after midnight but i didnt have to do the 3 hr one..:( good luck!

sweetscrappin
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:09 PM

and only sips of water you dont want to dilute the test. i had gest diab and ended up on insulin which was much easier to give than i thought

Quoting KimG1028:

Yes, nothing to eat or drink (other than water) after midnight...

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
pd4now82
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:30 PM

I believe another person replied with this - but I remember it being a fast 12 hrs before taking the test (so goes more based on when you're testing rather than standard midnight, etc).  I took a meal right  before the time that I had to fast so that I could be prepared to wait that long (12 hrs was a long time for me back then to not eat or anything)......   GL!

lovinmyfam4
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:36 AM

Quoting LadyFelicity:

really? i wasnt told anything for my 1hr. i had breakfast that morning and everything.

Quoting lovinmyfam4:

lol yeah my doc said n othing after midnight but honestly i woke up in the middle of the night  and had a bunch of sweetened applesauce...a glass of OJ in the morn with some powdered donuts lol and passed! LOl 

i thought i was going to have to take it again but they never mentioned it after that day yay :)

jnick82
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:42 AM

An oral glucose tolerance test is one that can be performed in a doctor's office or a lab. The person being tested starts the test in a fasting state (having no food or drink except water for at least 10 hours but not greater than 16 hours). An initial blood sugar is drawn and then the person is given a "glucola" bottle with a high amount of sugar in it (75 grams of glucose), (or 100 grams for pregnant women). The person then has their blood tested again 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours and 3 hours after drinking the high glucose drink.

For the test to give reliable results, you must be in good health (not have any other illnesses, not even a cold). Also, you should be normally active (for example, not lying down or confined to a bed like a patient in a hospital) and taking no medicines that could affect your blood glucose. The morning of the test, you should not smoke or drink coffee. During the test, you need to lie or sit quietly.

The oral glucose tolerance test is conducted by measuring blood glucose levels five times over a period of 3 hours.  In a person without diabetes, the glucose levels in the blood rise following drinking the glucose drink, but then then fall quickly back to normal (because insulin is produced in response to the glucose, and the insulin has a normal effect of lowing blood glucose.)  In a diabetic, glucose levels rise higher than normal after drinking the glucose drink and come down to normal levels much slower (insulin is either not produced, or it is produced but the cells of the body do not respond to it) (see details on type 1 and type 2  diabetes for more information on this topic).

As with fasting or random blood glucose tests, a markedly abnormal oral glucose tolerance test is diagnostic of diabetes.   However, blood glucose measurements during the oral glucose tolerance test can vary somewhat. For this reason, if the test shows that you have mildly elevated blood glucose levels, the doctor may run the test again to make sure the diagnosis is correct.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)