Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Confused about "Going Green"

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:58 PM
  • 12 Replies

Alright, I'm all for "going green" and making the earth a better place for my children, grandchildren, etc. but HOW?? It is not cheap! It's not easy either! Maybe I'm just green stupid but how do you convert and not end up spending a boat load? I was looking for an at-home job and came across this site: Melaleauca. They promote their business to people, you spend $29 to sign up as a customer with the "promise" that you will spend 35 Points every month on household items. Then you try to promote it someone else, they sign up and you make money off of them. Something like that. Anyway, the real "turn on" for them is that they are a green company. No preservatives, no harsh chemicals - NOTHING. Just safe, pure things that in theory are wonderful. So I did the webcast, talked to a woman about signing up BUT THEN I took a look at their prices. $15.99 for ONE bottle of laundry detergent that does 64 loads! I just bought (yesterday) a bottle of all that does 32 loads for $3.99 at the Commisary. That seemed a bit excessive to me. Every time I look into these "green ideas" like organic fruits and veggies or green products they would have me spending 2-3x the ammount I now pay. I understand how healthy it would be for my family, but my budget will not allow it. So... any of you Green Momma's have any ideas? What do you do to not break the bank? Is it really so important? I mean, would my spending $15.99 on detergent really make a difference? I'm just green confused!!

New baby on the way? Need a babyshower gift or looking to spend less with unique results on your new baby? I've got the perfect solution! Homemade for You makes Mom & Baby products including nursing blankets, heat packs, washcloth candy, baby bows/ribbons/bands, and much more! For a full list of products send me a message. I can't wait to get started on your unique Mommy or baby gift!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Make Kroger's and Walmart your best friends. Kroger's sells cheap organic foods (especially if you buy Kroger's brand because they also make most of their stuff organic or second best 'natural'.) Walmart sells cheap earth friendly cleaning supplies, like dish washer soap named ECO for only 3 dollars. Now if you want to convert your laundry soap to earth friendly the cheapest on that is $12 at Krogers.Clorox has a 'green' line of products now that are 99.5% good for the earth. However, most green mom's swear by vinegar and water for cleaning everything. Good luck.

LoveMyBugs
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:11 PM

What about the smell? Do Green Friendly products smell good?I want to use things that smell good, like laundry detergents and such. When I think, all nutral and organic I think devoid of any smell. Which I DO NOT want. My husband is the type who (when I am doing laundry) will walk in smiling because he can smell it in the garage. He loves that. Don't ask me why, he's kind of OCD for cleaning but he loves "fresh smells". He actually bugged me once to go ask our neighbor what detergent they were using because he liked the smell of theirs more than ours. I did... for my weirdo husband!

proudaf.gifww-onenation.gif picture by preemiemommypinky_joyfamilya1.gif picture by preemiemommycauseit-blink.gif picture by preemiemommythmomtoprincess.gif picture by preemiemommyththsaisso.gif picture by preemiemommy

Katy_Lentz
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Make your own products!!!! I can make cleaning suppliers for over 2 months with less that $15!!! They work just as well, if not better, and you can add your own fragrances to make them smell great:) I make my own bathroom, kitchen, and toy cleaners, and also laundry detergent!! Although I have slacked off a bit since I became preggers, I buy All laundry detergent Free and Clear-it is super cheap:) It can be VERY easy to 'go green' if you set your mind to it!

Personally, I don't do these things to 'go green' exactly, I do them because of the harmful chemicals in those everyday cleaners and I refuse to pay full price for an 'eco-friendly' cleaner when I know that the cleaner that I make can be even healthier for my family!!

Good luck:)

JMCSMAMA
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:25 PM

I cannot afford the expensive organic foods either so I do my part by recycling everything I can, using less water by taking shorter showers and I never use the plastic grocery bags. I bought are reuseables for about .75 a piece and I love them!! One store here even .05 off your bill for each cloth bag you use! I love the idea of going green also but cannot afford all the "hype" of some of those products!!

LoveMyBugs
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:29 PM

How do you make them? I would/could definitely do something like that! Actually I bought All Free & Clear yesterday at the commissary, it was like $3.99 and I had a $.50 off coupon! So I thought it was well worth it! I also use the cloth bags, but I got them for free at a commissary extravaganza a couple months ago. To be honest though... I can never remember to bring them in the store with me, LOL.

Quoting Katy_Lentz:

Make your own products!!!! I can make cleaning suppliers for over 2 months with less that $15!!! They work just as well, if not better, and you can add your own fragrances to make them smell great:) I make my own bathroom, kitchen, and toy cleaners, and also laundry detergent!! Although I have slacked off a bit since I became preggers, I buy All laundry detergent Free and Clear-it is super cheap:) It can be VERY easy to 'go green' if you set your mind to it!

Personally, I don't do these things to 'go green' exactly, I do them because of the harmful chemicals in those everyday cleaners and I refuse to pay full price for an 'eco-friendly' cleaner when I know that the cleaner that I make can be even healthier for my family!!

proudaf.gifww-onenation.gif picture by preemiemommypinky_joyfamilya1.gif picture by preemiemommycauseit-blink.gif picture by preemiemommythmomtoprincess.gif picture by preemiemommyththsaisso.gif picture by preemiemommy

Katy_Lentz
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:36 PM

I LOVE commissary shopping:) Gotta love the coupons that they have lying around!! I use vinegar and dish soap(which I buy the clorox green works) for an all purpose cleaner. For the bathroom I use baking soda-I don't remember the recipes for anything anymore!! I used to just know it all, but have been slacking lately:( Google it though!! I can PROMISE you that after your 2nd time of making everything(it does take a time or 2 to get everything to adjust the ingredients to fit your cleaning standards) you will NEVER go back to buying those horrible chemicals!! There is a few all natural and green groups on cafemom that you could get advice from as well:) Good luck!

Quoting LoveMyBugs:

How do you make them? I would/could definitely do something like that! Actually I bought All Free & Clear yesterday at the commissary, it was like $3.99 and I had a $.50 off coupon! So I thought it was well worth it! I also use the cloth bags, but I got them for free at a commissary extravaganza a couple months ago. To be honest though... I can never remember to bring them in the store with me, LOL.

Quoting Katy_Lentz:

LoveMyBugs
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Thanks!!

Quoting Katy_Lentz:

I LOVE commissary shopping:) Gotta love the coupons that they have lying around!! I use vinegar and dish soap(which I buy the clorox green works) for an all purpose cleaner. For the bathroom I use baking soda-I don't remember the recipes for anything anymore!! I used to just know it all, but have been slacking lately:( Google it though!! I can PROMISE you that after your 2nd time of making everything(it does take a time or 2 to get everything to adjust the ingredients to fit your cleaning standards) you will NEVER go back to buying those horrible chemicals!! There is a few all natural and green groups on cafemom that you could get advice from as well:) Good luck!

mammak
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:42 PM

ugh i know the feeling...if i can afford it I do get but other things like canned food--i do a 100mile radius of shopping. Most stores will have a brand that is shipped within 100 miles of the town you are in. It may not be organic but it does help because of the short distance the food travels. Sometimes you can find it with fruits but not always so when in season i try to shop at the farmers market. They have good prices and a lot of them do grow organically.

I use green works for now, and i bought one bottle and then i buy the concentrate and just refill with water and that. In 6months I have only bought one refill bottle. I also use their dishsoap and bathroom cleaners.

I make my own wipes, with baby shampoo and baby oil and water.

Katy_Lentz
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:45 PM

www.naturalgrocers.com

If you are serious about wanting to buy organic-this is the place to go!!! It has organic foods at a price cheaper than processed foods at the grocery store!! They also have tons of things on sale every week! I live by it:)

MommaTodd
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 7:27 AM

I'm using up all my old cleaners first... don't dump them. 1) that's would be completely contradicting the fact of going green, and 2) its a waste of money. Then you can make most of your own cleaning solutions with vinegar and water. I also use the basic h2 formula from shaklee. Its so concentrated that it lasts a really long time and you can use it in 3 different formulas: degreaser, windows, and all-purpose. It's neat.

I'm still using cheaper laundry detergent or tide because its cheaper, but you can make your own with baking soda and a little borax for stains. Or just use baking soda... its cheap and you can get a ton of it.

Just remember to recycle, too. Newspaper, milk jugs, juice jugs, cans, tin cans, bottles, etc. We have a 'blue bin' program. You put all your recyclables in this blue bin and it gets collected on trash day. You don't have to sort or anything, just rinse them out and throw away the tops.Publix and Walmart and I'm sure a few others have boxes at the entrance for cans and plastic bottles.

Use reusable bags instead of plastic. Everywhere has them, Publix is only $1 and you don't have to just use them at Publix... I leave them in the car. Don't freak out though if you forget them when you go grocery shopping though, I forget them sometimes. But instead of throwing out your plastic bags then just reuse them (small trashcan liners, puppy poop pick-up, etc.) or recycle them (bring themback to Publix or Walmart - they have boxes right at the entrance for you to put all your plastic shopping bags in)

I don't spend extra on organic foods - if its on sale for less than regular produce than I do, but that's it. The economy sucks too much for me to spend extra on things that aren't a priority.

Hope this helps!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)