Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking Maddy to the Dr. once again...grr...*long with a video* UPDATED!!!

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:30 PM
  • 22 Replies

OK, so here goes, this might get long but if you have a moment to listen and any possible feedback that would really help about now. So we have noticed over the past couple months that Maddy's eye development is not progressing as it should. It is difficult for her to follow objects in one smooth motion from left to right or right to left. She will always get stuck at center. And sometimes her eyes will "stick" to the right and it's like she can't "unstick" them so she just tries to move her head around to see but her eyes are still stuck to the side. Looks freaky. Anyway, we took her to a pediatric opthamologist that ruled out it being something wrong with the actual eye itself. She said as far as she can tell her eye, eyeball, and mucles all look fantastic. She also said that some babies just develop their eye movements a little slower than others and to give it a couple months.

Well that was about 2.5 weeks ago and the eye sticking thing seems to be easing up a bit. They will both still go to one side occasionally, but wont stick as long. So there's hope there! But now that issue is being replaced with another. Along with the eye sticking thing she would do a head twitch/roll. You will see in the video. It used to be just occasionally, but lately it's a lot, and you can tell that she doesn't seem to have control over it and the more it happens the fussier she gets. It's gotta be frustrating for her, poor little angel.

So, here I am, being a worried mom. I hate this part of motherhood. I know she is only 5 months and some people think that I am overreacting, but I'm so scared of some sort of brain developmental issue. I'm not sure how I could handle it. She seems to be developing ok in other areas. She plays with her hands and feet. She rolls to her side, but not all the way over yet. She laughs and smiles and responds. So what the heck? Any advice?

So, went to the Ped today and he thinks her head movements are "interesting" especially along with the eye movements she does. So he is recommending an EEG and we will proceed from there. He said that an MRI or CT scan is pretty pointless at this time and the first step is the EEG. I hate the idea of seeing my angel with electrodes all over her head, but it't the most non-invasive way to find out whats going on with her. Ugghh...this is scary. At least I feel better knowing that I wasn't overreacting and he said that it's a good thing I came in when I did. Thanks for everyone's well wishes. :o)

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetscrappin
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:00 PM

hmm how weird, i wrote you a reply but it was erased...

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
maddysmom729
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:23 PM

That's weird, I didn't erase anything...lol. Just wanted to also say that they ruled out lazy eye too. Pretty much everything with the eye, eyeball, or muscle is good! Just this random head spasm. I've googled a lot today and found out some interesting stuff, but don't want to get too worked up you know! Bumping...

Quoting sweetscrappin:

hmm how weird, i wrote you a reply but it was erased...

Fezmom
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:11 AM

This didn't look strange to me. If you have her in the boppy thing when she is doing the head rolling, it may be that she is uncomfortable. When you are holding her does she do it? If you keep her on her back supported by the boppy alot, she will not develop her neck muscles as she should. Check out these websites for how she should be developing during this time. If you have had her seen by an eye dr. I probably wouldn't worry so much right now. Or, you could get a second opinion.  Good luck!

http://www.families.nt.gov.

Physical Development

As your baby approaches his five-month birthday, his hand-eye coordination improves by leaps and bounds. In part, this is because his vision has matured to the point where he can easily follow the path of moving objects. When he sees something he wants (and at this point, he wants just about everything), he will raise his hand, glancing between hand and object while reaching forward. He's then able to grasp the object--whether a block, your necklace, or the dog's tail--in one smooth motion.

http://www.parents.com/parents/childTracker/week.

GatorGirl02347
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:16 AM

That looks like a normal five month old to me.  They do some crazy things with their eyes and head. 

carpetsharksmom
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:20 AM

I agree with this.. She looks normal to me. But if you are worried definitely seek a second opinion.

Quoting Fezmom:

This didn't look strange to me. If you have her in the boppy thing when she is doing the head rolling, it may be that she is uncomfortable. When you are holding her does she do it? If you keep her on her back supported by the boppy alot, she will not develop her neck muscles as she should. Check out these websites for how she should be developing during this time. If you have had her seen by an eye dr. I probably wouldn't worry so much right now. Or, you could get a second opinion.  Good luck!

Physical Development

As your baby approaches his five-month birthday, his hand-eye coordination improves by leaps and bounds. In part, this is because his vision has matured to the point where he can easily follow the path of moving objects. When he sees something he wants (and at this point, he wants just about everything), he will raise his hand, glancing between hand and object while reaching forward. He's then able to grasp the object--whether a block, your necklace, or the dog's tail--in one smooth motion.

britishnanny
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:42 AM

I say trust your gut feelings. Us mom's know when something is not right, I would get a second opinion, see if you can see another pediatric eye doctor, so many times you hear of doctors misdiagnosing patients.

It is hard to tell from the video if something is not right, but I can see what you mean, it looks as if she is moving her head to see rather than moving her eyes. Has your regular pediatrician suggested a cat scan, I would push the issue until you are 100% sure that there is nothing wrong, if there is a problem early detection is key.

My son broke his colar bone when he was 2 and the ER doctors said they did not think anything was wrong and did not want to order an x-ray. I knew there was something wrong, I could tell by the way he moved, I begged to get an x-ray and sure enough, it was snapped in two. Not much we could do, but just an example that mom's just know.

I don't mean to scare you, lots of people are telling you that she looks fine and it can be frustrating when people think you are over reacting, but sometimes you just need to know for sure, for yourself. I hope everything is OK, you are doing everything right, good luck!

Eyes4music
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:52 AM

seems normal to me like she is trying to figure out how to reposition her self or maybe even sit up, does she get alot of tummy time about an hour a day, but spread out , will help her have better control of her neck and head, also practice having her sit up, under your supervision, while she is between your legs, for support, or in the corner of your couch or somthing, even a bumbo, she looks like she wants to try to sit up to me.

Edit:  I do agree with others though, just from one moment in a video it is hard for us to tell, If you think their is something wrong then trust that and do whatever you need to to be for sure that there isnt.  Better Safe than Sorry

momlorac
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Does  she  respond when you call her name when she doing this? What does her pedtitiant think?

mommy03n06
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 9:11 AM
Quoting GatorGirl02347:

That looks like a normal five month old to me.  They do some crazy things with their eyes and head. 

she really is no differant than my 4 month old she does that alot when on a boppy.

Jena 08/08/08 Kira 10/27/06 Mia 11/2/03 married since 2002
maddysmom729
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Yeah thats what I thought at first too. But she will do it when she's laying down, sitting on my lap, etc. Not just when she's in the boppy. Thanks for your advice and listening, I really appreciate it!

Quoting Fezmom:

Physical Development

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)