Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I claim disablility after a baby?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:37 PM
  • 14 Replies

Thank all of you for all of your help on other questions here's an other:  I am wondering if I can claim short term after I have my baby. And if so how do I go about doing so? I want to stay home with my baby for as long as possible. My employer offers a Paid Family Leave Insurance, so I'll get to stay home with my baby for 6 weeks and get paid. But I would love to stay home longer but I cant afford to do so with out help. Thanks Ladies for all your help!Christine-NO BASHING PLEASE- JUST A QUESTION!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtosyd
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:39 PM

You can only go on Short Term Disability if your doctor puts you on it.  You are supposed to be sick, injured, something wrong

pookie_1228
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:39 PM

No.  You have no reason to qualify for it.  You are not disabled in any way.  If you are just trying to do it to spend more time with your baby, you will not get it.

Proud pierced/tattooed punk rock mom to a beautiful baby girl and 2 angels in heaven.  Also, proud to say I am a married c-section mama who is pro-life, fully vaccinate my daughter, use CIO, bottle feed and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

prestonjohn
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:40 PM

no you cant claim disability,,,but you can do FLMA but it is a non paid leave

amomtobella
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:41 PM

she right and trust me you well not make much i am disable and it only pay the med bills that add up well not help pay the bills or put food on the table

Quoting pookie_1228:

No.  You have no reason to qualify for it.  You are not disabled in any way.  If you are just trying to do it to spend more time with your baby, you will not get it.

Photobucket

mzprincessreina
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:42 PM

ok so heres how it worked for me here in california, for the first 6 weeks you claim disability(and yes pregnancy and maternity does qualify under it, at least here it does) and then the Paid family leave pays for the next 6 weeks, so you get 12 weeks all together. Here in california that is. if you go to your state disability web site you can order forms.

mzprincessreina
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:44 PM

Quoting amomtobella:

she right and trust me you well not make much i am disable and it only pay the med bills that add up well not help pay the bills or put food on the table

Quoting pookie_1228:

shes also right ,it doesnt pay nearly enough to pay bills though

heatherann0221
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:44 PM

If you can't afford it then you have to go to work, end of story. I don't believe you can claim disability, are you truly disabled?

maderacaligirl
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:47 PM

When I was working I didn't work ther long enough to get paid family leave. I did however get on disablility. And it was a normal delivery, I just wanted to be home with my baby. I got something signed by my doctor and my work and took it to where it needed to go. I'm sorry I don't remember the building but if your state does it your doctor should know then you just get your dr and work to sign it and take it back in and your all set.

-christine-
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for REALLY answering my question and not making me fell like an ass.

Quoting prestonjohn:

no you cant claim disability,,,but you can do FLMA but it is a non paid leave

-christine-
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:51 PM

Where you able to claim disablilty because you werent with your employer long enough? How long were you on disability? Thanks for your help!

Quoting maderacaligirl:

When I was working I didn't work ther long enough to get paid family leave. I did however get on disablility. And it was a normal delivery, I just wanted to be home with my baby. I got something signed by my doctor and my work and took it to where it needed to go. I'm sorry I don't remember the building but if your state does it your doctor should know then you just get your dr and work to sign it and take it back in and your all set.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)