Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

santa secret

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:16 PM
  • 19 Replies

Poll

Question: How do I treat 'Santa" ?

Options:

Real until she realize he's fake on her own

tell her the 'truth' when she starts school

tell MIL I don't agree & will do it my way

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 55

View Results

ok, so my DD is 2 & finally starting to grasp the idea of Santa. I'm excited for the 'magic' of all that for her. MY MIL however always told my DH & SIL that santa wasn't real, just a happy feeling (basically the truth about him, etc...) they didn't ruin it for kids at school, but felt embarrassed that others ' still believed' when they'd been told it was true he was real (friends)....I knew about Santa till 3rd grade. I recognized handwriting & realized it was mom. Was bummed, but not hurt by it. She (MIL) didn't want them to feel like she'd lied about santa being real or have them teased by friends for believing in him then.

So we discussed it again tonight & she 'suggested' I let the cat out of the bag when she's 5, because school will start (see above paragraph)...how do I do my own thing without her telling my DD the truth later on ? I love, love my in-laws, but this is one subject I don't really agree with. What do you all think ? ....

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kim.Gage
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:31 PM

I found out about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and where babies come from all on the samed day when I was about 6 I think.  I was mortified about the baby part, hurt about the Santa part and only mildly upset about the Easter Bunny.  Sometimes I wonder if my parents planned it this way so that the real blow would be the baby making part and I wouldn't be so sad about Santa.  I don't know but I say handle it the way you want to momma, she's your daughter and let her have that Santa magic while she's still young enough to believe.

AmandaA
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:44 PM

My kids love santa and my oldest is gonna be 7 and he still believes... I believed till i was like 9 or 10 but my parents went to extreams to make sure i believed... Your child your decision... how does your hubby feel about it?

I LOVE MY BABYBOYS

Sirenabella
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 2:35 AM

Do it your way. Your MIL needs to respect your wishes. I believed until I was 7 and my dad accidentally blew it. I wasn't hurt. I recognized it as my parents sharing something special and the spirit of Christmas with me. I'm trying to share that with my son now.

KaseyHickman
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 2:51 AM

I agree I believed in santa til I was about 7 or 8. It was exciting to know you get christmas presents from santa and writing letters and the whole fantasy of the north pole. Why ruin that for her so young. Its part of being a child, believe in things that make you happy. It wont ruin her or make her weird for believing in Santa. Keep it up until she learns herself. To this day my mom still signs gifts saying they are from santa lol

Quoting Sirenabella:

Do it your way. Your MIL needs to respect your wishes. I believed until I was 7 and my dad accidentally blew it. I wasn't hurt. I recognized it as my parents sharing something special and the spirit of Christmas with me. I'm trying to share that with my son now.

Devoted Wife and Mother, Military Wife,Lives overseas, Cleaning is my hobby, Pro Life, Voted for Obama, I believe in spanking, cant live with out my pop, and Im an okie and proud of it.

moms rock

KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 4:58 AM

I would let her figure it out on her own as every child does eventually.  I would tell your mother in law that you don't agree with her and ask her to keep quite about it and let you do it your way .

DJJOJO
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:36 AM

oh, i think believing in Santa is great! my daughter is 12 and i really think until she was 10 she believed.. that's what makes it fun. seeing the kids with the excitement of wondering what Santa is bring them and then the next morning .. i know other kids are cruel and say they don't believe but i think they do want to believe also i think the parent or maybe if the kids who does the missing have older sibling and that ruins their excitement.. my daughter still will say momma is there really a Santa i always reply " there is a Santa as long as u want to believe""!!! i remember when i found out i was upset, after that Christmas was never the same.

LaurieMomof2
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:41 AM

I say let them find out on their own, let the magic live until the magic can live no more, she will eventually find out on her own, my oldest did, but my 7yr old still believes and so do her 1st grader classmates, don't ruin the magic of christmas so early, childhood is once in a lifetime, and it is a lifetime you will never get back!!!!!!!!!

Laurie Parisgirl giving flower

Tabitha988
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 10:18 AM

he's fine with it I think....he goes along with me telling her to be good cause Santas watching....thanks for asking ! :D

Quoting AmandaA:

My kids love santa and my oldest is gonna be 7 and he still believes... I believed till i was like 9 or 10 but my parents went to extreams to make sure i believed... Your child your decision... how does your hubby feel about it?

Tabitha988
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Thanks ! I agree with you all.....finding out the truth can be sad because that magic is over. You're right, sometimes its just not the same feeling after that. Maybe if I approach it this way, she (MIL) could understand.

Bunny4
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:35 PM

I beleived unitl I was 11. the night before I helped Mom wrap presents. the next day ( christmas) I opened one I wrapped the night before that had my name on it.

I have a 8 and 7 year olds. I tell my girls that Santa will visit until you stop believing in him.

Good thing is I love the magic of Santa but bad thing is I could get away with spending less on gifts if they didnt beleive anymore.

I am thinking my 8 year old ( turning 9 in Feb) will find out soon, the questions are coming once in a while. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)